Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's not the bins. Density in Y may make overhead space tougher than in other UA widebodies.

But the other thing to remember is that GAs routinely lie about the availability of overhead space. Gate checking makes boarding quicker, even though it may not be necessary.
Definitely not the overhead bins.
GA’s on Saturday (EWR – SFO) made several calls to gate check bags due to lack of space. On Sunday (SFO – EWR) I heard the same announcement.
Seat density in the back OMG! 22D felt like being on a Tokyo train at rush hour.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Bayarea510
Well I'm onboard in route from SFO to EWR in seat 11D and was informed that my seat was broken on last nights flight but maintenance assured them they fixed it overnight along with 12D. Needless to say they didn't! Very disappointed that they had all night to repair and still dropped the ball....
I was sitting in 11A on Sunday night's EWR-SFO flight and for the last 2 hours of the flight or so the FAs were futzing around with 11D and 12D. I think they manually had to put both seats to the upright mode for landing.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 5:15 pm

Yes those were the exact seats that were still broken! Maintenance told them they were fixed but low and behold their not! Very sad considering this is a brand new plane.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
Seat density in the back OMG! 22D felt like being on a Tokyo train at rush hour.
While I'm hoping for my GPU to clear, I currently have 22G reserved. From your comment, is it any worse than any other E+ seat? There is availability of 26C, 29C, 39 C & J & 40 D & G. I prefer aisle seats. Are any of those better than 22G?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:58 pm

If an aisle (my preference) is priority I would stick with up your choice. Closer to the pointy end is better.
PS: I was only in the seat for an hour. The occupant moved to my seat for a drink and had to be reminded to return.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 11:56 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I just had the chance to fly the new plane, EWR-SFO, and agree that the new upfront seats are very nice. Unfortunately the end of the flight was somewhat diminished by the 15 min wait we were subjected to on arriving, as the gate agent had trouble positioning the jetway "for the new plane".
Old Feb 28, 2017, 12:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's not the bins. Density in Y may make overhead space tougher than in other UA widebodies.

But the other thing to remember is that GAs routinely lie about the availability of overhead space. Gate checking makes boarding quicker, even though it may not be necessary.
My brother flew back from EWR on this plane last week. Mentioned they had to gate check 60 bags according to the announcements they made as it took a bit extra time to load the cargo hold as such.

He got stuck in Y and said it was as miserable as you would expect (he was around #10 on the list as a 1K trying to use an SWU).
Old Feb 28, 2017, 5:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Bayarea510
Yes those were the exact seats that were still broken! Maintenance told them they were fixed but low and behold their not! Very sad considering this is a brand new plane.
Brand new aircraft and the seats are already breaking? Doesn't bode well for the future.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Can't wait for July... hoping my GPU's clear quick for my HKG-SFO since the seat map is 100% open... looking forward to 1A/1D for myself and the Mrs.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 6:07 pm

With two PS route flugs under my belt with both up front. My recommendation for best best is on a 777er is on a 787 or 747. With 20+ 777 flugs I have enough residual dislike for the airframe to last until the 777er goes to NRT or HND.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 7:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
With two PS route flugs under my belt with both up front. My recommendation for best best is on a 777er is on a 787 or 747. With 20+ 777 flugs I have enough residual dislike for the airframe to last until the 777er goes to NRT or HND.
What are flugs?
Old Feb 28, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SPLITTERZ
What are flugs?
Flug = flights
Old Feb 28, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
777-300 - New Polaris Seats are Great!

Spouse and I flew on this EWR to SFO. We were in 5L and 6L. Bought the tickets way before this was scheduled to be this new plane and were thrilled that it got switched.

Easily able to lean forward and back and chat a little bit. We thought the seats were just really great - lots of storage, great lighting options and features, good inflight map and monitor, tray table is the best I've ever seen. Both of us slept a couple of hours after the meal - almost as much room as in Global First on the 747. Someone above mentioned that the two lavs way up front never had a wait - same experience for us. At EWR we boarded through door 2L, so we didn't have the economy pax in our aisle during boarding, which was nice. Having access to the aisle from a window seat without hopping over someone is a very welcome add to United's offerings.

I did go back and look at E+ and E - which looked very tight around the shoulders.

JK-SFO
Old Mar 4, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
I was on a delayed EWR-SFO flight this week. Overall, I would call it the best domestic premium cabin out there, but I know its really going to run international so that changes the category and competition a bit. It reminded me of Asiana's a380 J class I was on. Not huge, but seemed to have plenty of room.

It takes a really long time to board this thing. The deboarding of this flight took about 30 minutes when the aircraft arrived late by 24 minutes. The scheduled boarding starts 50 minutes prior and they need that much time for the amount of passengers they have. Even in a normal boarding cycle, you are sitting on this plane for almost an hour before departure. So the 88 minutes of ground time is tight for this evening turn in EWR.

Boarding early isnt too much of an issue when you are in J class. But the steady stream of people heading down the aisles can be a bit challenging for flight attendants to navigate. There are over 360 people on this plane when its full. For this reason, if you are flying J class, I would recommend sitting in the forward part of the cabin, in front of door 2L/2R. Your PDB, if really important to you, could be refilled a few times during that time frame.

The seats weren't cleaned out real well. The storage cupboard had headsets and an unwrapped amenity kit in them. There was a candy wrapper tucked behind the safety card. I'm sure the cleaners just don't have a system yet for a thorough cleaning of these suites. I casually mentioned it to a flight attendant, and he indicated lots of catering and cleaning issues were still occurring. For example, only one coffee pot and one hot water pot were boarded for J class, on a dual aisle service. There are also lots of people to get to, with 60 people in J.

The window side seats (as opposed to the two center ones) have some amazing air vents. Very powerful. I liked having the table on the side with the aisle. The flight attendant could easily take away empties and do refills on drinks, whereas the table is a reach across for the angled seats. I liked the look of both the angled and the straight seats - the straight seats on the window are tucked away close the window much more, so you have three windows right there to look out of. Except for row 9, which is missing one. The other angled window seats (even numbered rows) only have one window, and you are about 18-24 inches away from it, so its more for light.

The nostalgic "Channel 9" is available. ^

The lamps are the selling point. These things add a lot to the ambiance. Overall the lighting is awesome. You can turn these on and off on the control panel by your knees.

There is a do not disturb light you can turn on/off. This is really cool, but hard to figure out. It's triggered with a crescent moon shaped icon next to your knees.

Economy class is tight. Walking back there in a full flight, it looked tight and felt cramped. It's just a lot of people in a small space.

The screen has an amazing touch interface. About as good as your smart phone. The flight map allows you to pinch in/out to see some cool detail. I was very impressed.

Here is a link to some images I took:
http://imgur.com/gallery/mb2rS

Last edited by JC5280; Mar 4, 2017 at 4:40 pm
Old Mar 4, 2017, 3:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JC5280
There is a do not disturb light you can turn on/off. This is really cool, but hard to figure out. It's triggered with a crescent moon shaped icon next to your knees.
And often triggered with the knee!

If you're not getting service, chances are you've inadvertently activated the DND light.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.