Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
Originally Posted by malgudi
The wiki says 9A/L are the best seats ... is the proximity to the rest rooms going to be an issue?

Other seats are still available, so I can change
You can use 9A/L bulkhead as a standing desk if you see fit. Your laptop can hide away in the bassinet area as well.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by latke
On the 777-300ER redesign with Premium Plus, will Row 30, now the first Economy Plus row, be better or worse than it was?
Given that it is behind Door 3, I don't see why it would change.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:18 pm

Thanks I guess Row 45 is the new best E+ seat then
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by latke
Thanks I guess Row 45 is the new best E+ seat then
Brings back 747 memories!

Here's a seatmap of the actual 77W being flown, with PP. Sorry for the janky blending, but really UA should revise its website.

777-300 with Premium Plus
Kacee likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:11 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Starwood/Marriott Gold
I recently flew in 9A and didn't notice toilet noise... maybe I just can't hear
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA/Premier 1K, Bonvoy/Titanium
I was briefly in 20G on UA837 SFO-NRT 77W with PP (was then upgraded right before door close). It seems to me that legroom in the PP bulkhead on this a/c is fantastic and much better than the bulkhead on the refurbished 772s that I flew on from IAD-LHR. Also much better than the row 21 and 22. I'm 5'9 and can't fully extend my legs on the 772s but could easily do so on the 77W.

PP went out a quarter empty on my UA837 flight due to many last minute upgrades.
UA_Flyer and oopl like this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:23 am

Polaris angled seats

guys - i'm 6.2, slim & a side sleeper. Are the angled seats best for me? What exact seat numbers are those and are there any angled window seats

thx
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:01 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Which aircratwith Polaris seats are you referring to 777-300 or 777-200?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
bulkhead straight seat, in my opinion.

Also, in my opinion, all the seats on the 767's are horrendous for sleeping. Especially if you are tall.

The 777 seats are wider.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
The straight-line (true) Polaris seats are better for tall pax, IMO. The angled seats have a slightly smaller footwell but even that is a significant improvement over the sCO Diamond seats.

The 767 true Polaris seats are definitely shorter than the 777 version, but the larger footwell (versus the Diamond) is a meaningful improvement and IMO makes the Polaris seat much more comfortable for sleeping than their predecessors (aside from GF).
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:04 am

UA49 so 777-300ER
it helps me go non-stop between BOM and EWR but if the seats aren't going to be comfortable, I may think of flying etihad with 1-stop but rather not
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sam007
UA49 so 777-300ER
it helps me go non-stop between BOM and EWR but if the seats aren't going to be comfortable I may think of flying etihad with 1-stop but rather not
Fly what you like, but why would you draw that conclusion if you haven't tried the seat yet?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 10, 2018 at 12:02 pm Reason: cleanup after merge
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
UA49 so 777-300ER
it helps me go non-stop between BOM and EWR but if the seats aren't going to be comfortable, I may think of flying etihad with 1-stop but rather not
IMO, if sleep is the priority, one would have to have an exceptionally high standard of comfort to forgo a nonstop in the 77W Polaris (IMO the better of the two layouts between the 767/777) in favor of a one-stop journey to a different destination airport (JFK). With a mattress pad and gel pillow, I think it's a very good sleeping product among business classes.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I agree. Polaris lacks in soft product quality, but it is excellent for sleep.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies

Hmm, hopefully my EF alert will find something. As of now, there’s just one window available and I think it’s 16L.
Not sure if you took the flight already but this is a no brainer. 9 middle seats are much better than the 16 windows in terms of leg room and comfort.

UA49 so 777-300ER
UA is absolutely the better choice for hard product. The seat is extremely comfortable especially if you pick the odd numbered seats.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 10, 2018 at 6:55 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.