Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:40 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kevinsac
Do all the forward-facing Polaris seats (non-angled) have the same big foot well? Specifically 3D/G?
If you are asking about the old sUA (IPTE) lie-flat seats, the footwells are basically the same size for all seats
Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If you are asking about the old sUA (IPTE) lie-flat seats, the footwells are basically the same size for all seats
No. Sorry. I am asking about the new, true Polaris seats. My flight next year just showed up in the new configuration
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Do all the forward-facing Polaris seats (non-angled) have the same big foot well? Specifically 3D/G?
No. Sorry. I am asking about the new, true Polaris seats. My flight next year just showed up in the new configuration
All new Polaris seats are forward facing. Rear facing seats exist only in a few old sUA planes.
Pictures of bulkhead, angled and straight foot-wells are above, in the Wiki. Bulkhead foot-wells are bigger.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Row 1 and 3 and 5 are forward facing. Rows 2 and 4 and 6 are angled. Right?

i was asking about the straight, forward-facing, non-angled, parallel-to-the-aisle seats.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:31 am

Row 1 and 3 and 5 are forward facing. Rows 2 and 4 and 6 are angled. Right?

Right, but still very confusing terminology when rear-facing seats still exist in the network.
Common description would be: Row 1 and 3 and 5 are straight, non-angled; Rows 2 and 4 and 6 are angled.
Row 1 and 3 and 5 and rows 2 and 4 and 6 are ALL forward facing, as are ALL seats on this plane.

By the way, row 3 is one of my favorites, although I prefer 3A or 3L to the middle 3D/G unless of course traveling with someone I want to sit next to!

Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My first question did specify the non-angled seats. But let me try a different way.

Seats 3D/G .... the new, non-angled true Polaris seats ... do these center / middle seats have the same big footwell as the window seats (3A)?

[Damn, I still want to put a hex on United for getting phasing out Global First]

Last edited by kevinsac; Oct 17, 2018 at 2:46 am
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:48 am

Seats 3D/G .... the new, non-angled true Polaris seats ... do these center seats have the same big footwell as the window seats (3A)?

Same medium footwell, I wouldn't call it "big" though. In fact I find the footwells rather small on both angled and straight seats. Bulkhead seats are the only decent sized ones, IMO.

It goes, in order of footwell size:

1) Bulkhead: decent size, comfortable
2) All other straight seat (odd numbered rows): okay, but certainly not overly spacious
3) Angled seats (even numbered rows): my feet now suffer from claustrophobia

Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks ^
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by narvik
Same medium footwell, I wouldn't call it "big" though. In fact I find the footwells rather small on both angled and straight seats. Bulkhead seats are the only decent sized ones, IMO.
I would say it's relative. Certainly not small compared to the sCO seat or the Vantage, but yes smaller than bulkhead.

I've never had an issue with the footwells on this aircraft (size 9 shoe), but many have expressed a preference for the larger ones in the bulkhead.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
I would say it's relative. Certainly not small compared to the sCO seat or the Vantage, but yes smaller than bulkhead.

I've never had an issue with the footwells on this aircraft (size 9 shoe), but many have expressed a preference for the larger ones in the bulkhead.
I think I’ll compromise. Row 3 with medium footwell, over Row 1 with noise and light from galley.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I think any true Polaris seat is significantly better than any non-Polaris non-bulkhead seat for footwell space; the delta is not nearly as big as for non-Polaris J seats in terms of bulkhead vs not bulkhead.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:17 pm

My wife and I flew SFO > LHR in July (about 10hr 30min) in 5G/5D. These were excellent straight seats, and the powered partition was a nice bonus.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by WyomingBrian
My wife and I flew SFO > LHR ...<snip>...and the powered partition was a nice bonus.
Come again?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by narvik
Come again?
It's just like having a "mute" button!
narvik likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I flew 8L yesterday. I have flown 8A before, and row 8 is my favorite row. You have near privacy. Sure, the galley is right behind you, but that's not the galley that the FA's gather in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.