Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:32 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by spellbound2
Thanks for confirming. We have 2CH on the SFO-LHR, but on the other hops there's only business and it looks like 767-300 5LK on one leg and the other leg 757-200 and we have a choice between front cabin row 3 or back cabin row 6. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
2CH is as good as it gets on the 772 for a couple.

On the non-Polaris seat 767 and 752, bulkhead is always best for the larger footwells, but after that, all things are basically equal. I personally like the back of a cabin, just seems more private to me. Some like being more forward for possibly better meal selections and or faster meal service after take-off. Not a big deal to me. YMMV.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:19 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
2CH is as good as it gets on the 772 for a couple.

On the non-Polaris seat 767 and 752, bulkhead is always best for the larger footwells, but after that, all things are basically equal. I personally like the back of a cabin, just seems more private to me. Some like being more forward for possibly better meal selections and or faster meal service after take-off. Not a big deal to me. YMMV.
Excellent, thanks for the tips!
Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by spellbound2
757-200 and we have a choice between front cabin row 3 or back cabin row 6. Any thoughts?
Always be forward of Door 2 if you can.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by findark
Always be forward of Door 2 if you can.
Totally agree unless it is bulkhead seat in the second cabin.I have found the first cabin to be more private because the second cabin is close to the economy section, and the first cabin does not encounter with economy passengers during boarding. Often the pre-departure drinks are delayed because the FA need to deal with the economy passengers boarding process in the second cabin.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 7:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I've found that row 1 A/L are the first seats to go, so my last few 773 flights have been in 9A and I think the seats are just fine - no galley noise or lights and you can't hear the lavatory at all. If you board with G1, you should have plenty of time to stow bags and get comfortable before the crowds show up
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
Currently in 9L as a solo traveller from SFO - HKG next week - about 8 seats open in the middle pairing seats, and none on the single seats. - is 9L better than any D/G seat there is?

Just worried about foot traffic and galley noise since it's where the walk up self-service bar is.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rumples
Currently in 9L as a solo traveller from SFO - HKG next week - about 8 seats open in the middle pairing seats, and none on the single seats. - is 9L better than any D/G seat there is?

Just worried about foot traffic and galley noise since it's where the walk up self-service bar is.
My favourite solo seats are 1A/L and 9A/L. I've never been bothered by galley noise, but it could happen.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by Rumples

The only thing you might notice in 9A/9L is the toilet flush. It is a very secluded seat.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
OK got it, I will stick with 9L then! Usually I like to sit in 11L, but i'll give this one a whirl since I don't have a choice this time

Thanks for the feedback!
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Which seats are near the engines?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
Which seats are near the engines?
Engines are situated approximately at divider between business and economy cabins.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Engines are situated approximately at divider between business and economy cabins.
Do the engines hamper the view? Seatguru says nothing negative about Row 19 including being over the wing.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold
Originally Posted by danielonn
Do the engines hamper the view? Seatguru says nothing negative about Row 19 including being over the wing.
Look back at post #600 .
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by danielonn
See, I'd argue that they enhance the view. Gorgeous things!
Old Jul 18, 2018, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Thoughts on 7 A/L versus 17 A/L? Engine or galley?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.