Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Old Dec 29, 2017, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cur
oh but in typical fashion i boarded last sfohkg, and i was told there was zero bin space . on a 773. .
I’m not sure why you’re surprised. International flights are certainly not immune to the “carry all of my possessions onto the plane” syndrome, and the bins were designed for 10+% fewer passengers than can be seated in the HD configuration.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 5:54 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by jsloan

I’m not sure why you’re surprised. International flights are certainly not immune to the “carry all of my possessions onto the plane” syndrome, and the bins were designed for 10+% fewer passengers than can be seated in the HD configuration.

i know. i'm so entitled with my crew rollaboard that fits wheels first and my laptop bag that fits under the seat in front of me, and i'm even more obnoxious for being surprised a 773 with 2/5 allocated to low density business class still has zero room. oh how horrible of me for expressing consternation.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cur
i know. i'm so entitled with my crew rollaboard that fits wheels first and my laptop bag that fits under the seat in front of me, and i'm even more obnoxious for being surprised a 773 with 2/5 allocated to low density business class still has zero room. oh how horrible of me for expressing consternation.
I wasn’t implying that your luggage was the problem — after all, you said you boarded late. I just wasn’t surprised. Also, the business class cabin isn’t all that low density — I mean, lower than coach, sure, but there are still a lot of passengers per bin, and the flight attendants seem to store quite a lot of other stuff up there as well.

Whenever UA gets around to expanding Basic Economy to international routes, the bins will start to free up, but not before then.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 2:05 pm

I booked 15A for myself a while ago but the fiance decided to join me a bit late and she was able to get 11G. Given what I read about the middle section, some have said it's almost awkward in the honeymoon seats if you don't know the person next to you. I'm hoping that based on that, they'll be willing to trade with me so I can sit with her, although I know some hate trading seats (I guess it's more of a problem in the Y-cabin usually than premium class).
Old Jan 2, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Is there a resolution on the 1L/9L debate? I'm currently in 1L on an NRT-EWR that I just booked ... 9A and 9L are open.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by RJNYC
Is there a resolution on the 1L/9L debate? I'm currently in 1L on an NRT-EWR that I just booked ... 9A and 9L are open.
I have not sat yet in 1L but have done 1A and 9A. I think the issue with all may be that there is some light and some noise from bathroom/galley/closets. It did not really bother me. I am actually probably going to keep 9L anyway. I was scoping out the seats on my flight. I almost think row 5 could be the best with few people passing by as row 6 and higher may go back to toilets and rows 4 and lower may go to the front for the toilets.

I also do not think there would be much noise from the galley behind it. That said, I could hear the clanking, etc. during meal time in 9A.

But 5 and others do not have larger foot area or the extra space to put things.

I know that is not too helpful. What I do know is that 1A had a loud closet near it. I was told, thought, that FAs should not have been using it. But one was. Similar to the closet by 9A but that one has a different (and quieter) locking mechanism.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 11:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM
I made the mistake of choosing 1A AKL/SFO the other day, the space is great, love the footwell but man the crew were noisy. No respect for paying customers, loud conversions between crew all night long, the lights on no curtain between galley and passenger cabin and crew rest area door seemed to be consistently being used.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by mikeyf
I made the mistake of choosing 1A AKL/SFO the other day, the space is great, love the footwell but man the crew were noisy. No respect for paying customers, loud conversions between crew all night long, the lights on no curtain between galley and passenger cabin and crew rest area door seemed to be consistently being used.
Sorry to hear. I would think 1L would be louder, no? Since it is closer to the galley? My only complaint for 1A was light and the closet use. But it did not bother me that much. I suppose it depends on people's sensitivities. Row 9 is more removed from the galley but closer to lavatories and there is that other section where they put out snacks. I actually heard two attendants speaking quite loudly and mentioned it to another attendant. In a nice way. He told me that they are supposed to speak at low levels. And I think that was the case as I did not hear much except this particular conversation.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:03 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by daisyatl
Sorry to hear. I would think 1L would be louder, no? Since it is closer to the galley?
Stay away from 1L. Noisy with carts being slammed into their storage areas. And it seems that the FAs don't know how to talk with their inside voices. Awful experience there.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
What's the general wisdom on odd D/G pairs versus even A/L ones? I'm a window person but a bit skeptical that the seats in the aisle are that great.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by RJNYC
For me I don't have an issue with any of them. Just call me the pinball wizard as I've had 1A, 1L, 3L, 4A, 9A, 9L 11A and don't see much difference. I've been told the noise level from the FAs is higher in 1A but I wouldn't know. With headphones on a movie going and a few adult beverages with a meal and all is well.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:20 am

Going SFO to AKL. Currenty booked in 5A (travelling solo) but 9L is available. Seat Guru says to watch for noise from lavatory / galley in this seat but the wiki has this as a prime seat. Is the extra room in the bulkhead footwell worth the light/noise/traffic from being close to the galley/lavatory? Thinking I'll stick with 5A since it's further away but curious as to what the consensus is regarding the level of inconvenience being near the galley / lavatory.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by kymiller
Going SFO to AKL. Currenty booked in 5A (travelling solo) but 9L is available. Seat Guru says to watch for noise from lavatory / galley in this seat but the wiki has this as a prime seat. Is the extra room in the bulkhead footwell worth the light/noise/traffic from being close to the galley/lavatory? Thinking I'll stick with 5A since it's further away but curious as to what the consensus is regarding the level of inconvenience being near the galley / lavatory.
Consensus seems to be it's about normal for a bulkhead. Depends if you're a person who is bothered by being at a bulkhead normally.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 3:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kymiller
... Seat Guru says to watch for noise from lavatory / galley in this seat ...
Seat Guru says that automatically for the first row adjacent to a lav / galley.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Sat in row 5 on UA 90. All four of family members across row 5. Returned on UA85 in the CO 777-200. For a family of 4, I MUCH preferred the older version. While very nice, the 777-300 felt a bit cramped to me- especially since there's absolutely no storage. I was quite excited to try the new Polaris cabin, but was underwhelmed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.