United in Seattle?

Old Feb 2, 2018, 10:08 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen

When NH is running the regional business seats ex-YVR, you can route your trip via SEA, SFO or LAX if any of those segments have P class, and either take the Air Canada puddle jumper in Y class down to SEA, or a UA/AC flight to another gateway in P class.
Sure, but by the time I called NH after the switch, they were NOT allowing pax to change like they did with those who called right away. NO refund, NO switch despite THREE calls to NH

I've flown plenty of UA barcaloungers before lie flats came about so I lived to talk about it, though not happily ....
Old Feb 3, 2018, 12:11 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Gold, HHonors, Priority Pass, Global entry/TSA Pre
How about UA Bring back the Seattle-Anchorage flight. That's all I need them to do to be honest.
MrFlyRite likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 2:25 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by randyqx
considering what he did, jeff really hated seattle (killed asian flights, closed seattle flight attendant hub, ...). delta and alaska suck but own it. nh to tokyo is great if you not need pqm. same for oz to icn. when i used to care about pqm, i went through sfo.
considering that NRT flight generally ran sub 50% loads with 0 first class taken typically, yes, it should have been cancelled.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 3:33 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by CALMSP
considering that NRT flight generally ran sub 50% loads with 0 first class taken typically, yes, it should have been cancelled.
Once it got to that point, yes it was inevitable. But the flight wasn’t always like that - for a long time it had decent load factors in all cabins and was an important route for UA. It was the first route (for a long time the only route where it was guaranteed) to get the first class suite back when they introduced it many years ago. SEA was United’s biggest non-Hub operation.

it was surprising the flight held on as long as it did given the cutbacks in Seattle started long before it was dropped.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 5:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by maverickar15
Sorry to bump an old thread, but there is a possibility that I will be moving to Seattle before the end of this year. I'm currently based in SFO.

For international, I fly mostly to Seoul and Tokyo so it seems to make most sense to switch to Delta, as they provide non-stop service to both destinations.
However I'm also quite conflicted about earning miles on Delta, as it was very hard to use their miles when I flew with them briefly before. UA just makes it much easier to use the miles.

Also, I can just take the *A flights to both Seoul (OZ) and Tokyo (NH) which is probably better than what DL offers - I can then credit the *A miles to UA. (would be missing out on MM program however...)
In this case it would make sense to get to UA Gold for *A Gold status but not more than that - being UA Plat or 1K doesn't do anything for OZ or NH flights?

Choices choices...
Not sure if you fly coach or business. If flying business beware that DL primarily flies their 767s to Narita, Seoul (and I think Beijing). These have terrible seats and also seem to have quite a few mechanical delays. NH to Tokyo is definitely much superior - with full PQDs.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 6:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by maverickar15
Also, I can just take the *A flights to both Seoul (OZ) and Tokyo (NH) which is probably better than what DL offers - I can then credit the *A miles to UA. (would be missing out on MM program however...)
In this case it would make sense to get to UA Gold for *A Gold status but not more than that - being UA Plat or 1K doesn't do anything for OZ or NH flights?
Keep in mind the PQD challenges. NH is a JV partner so those flights should price on 016 stock same as UA fares would. OZ likely won't price well on 016 stock if that matters to you.

As for getting more status, what else would you do with the points? If you're just going to fly DL for the other trips anyways then why not commit and get the higher status tier?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by airline101
How about UA Bring back the Seattle-Anchorage flight. That's all I need them to do to be honest.
Funny you mention that cause it’s one of the few BPs I still have. 😜
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:38 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Gold, HHonors, Priority Pass, Global entry/TSA Pre
Nice!!!!!
Old Aug 12, 2018, 2:40 am

Really wish UA would get back into SEA market in earnest.

There're 5 transcontinental partner flights daily (including Aer Lingus) that feed UA.
They maintain a good-size lounge that's open almost 20hours a day, which they could've closed or downsized when they switched terminals 4-5 years ago.

I'm not a fan of DL's FF program, and AS doesn't work for me for different reasons. So I stay with UA as my main FF program and keep hoping UA turns its attention back to SEA. Is that possible?

Specifically, I'd like to see UA increase LAX flights to at least 5-6 daily and start service to Hawaii.
Would also like them to resume service to TYO
Old Aug 12, 2018, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by evergrn

There're 5 transcontinental partner flights daily (including Aer Lingus) that feed UA.
They maintain a good-size lounge that's open almost 20hours a day, which they could've closed or downsized when they switched terminals 4-5 years ago.

I'm not a fan of DL's FF program, and AS doesn't work for me for different reasons. So I stay with UA as my main FF program and keep hoping UA turns its attention back to SEA. Is that possible?

Specifically, I'd like to see UA increase LAX flights to at least 5-6 daily and start service to Hawaii.
I wouldn't bet on it. UA isn't about to compete with a DL hub. And they've already pulled out of SEA as a focus city so they aren't likely to re-enter.

This is akin to AS announcing every 3 or 4 years "hourly" shuttle service to LAX. It lasts about six months and then flights get cancelled.

And I don't understand the comment about not liking DLs program. In some ways it's far superior to UAs. The biggest difference being you know exactly how many miles you will earn for a particular flight because DL goes by marketing carrier, not operating carrier. Good luck figuring out how many miles you will earn on codeshare flights in the UA program. You can't until it posts.

-RM
Old Aug 12, 2018, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by evergrn

Sure, I'd love it if UA would make SEA a focus city as well and bring back BKK flights, but UA feels they will make more money elsewhere.

And do you really want UA to fly CRJs, aka the Devil's Chariot to LAX just to increase frequency?

Originally Posted by RobOnLI

I wouldn't bet on it. UA isn't about to compete with a DL hub. And they've already pulled out of SEA as a focus city so they aren't likely to re-enter.

This is akin to AS announcing every 3 or 4 years "hourly" shuttle service to LAX. It lasts about six months and then flights get cancelled.

And I don't understand the comment about not liking DLs program. In some ways it's far superior to UAs. The biggest difference being you know exactly how many miles you will earn for a particular flight because DL goes by marketing carrier, not operating carrier. Good luck figuring out how many miles you will earn on codeshare flights in the UA program. You can't until it posts.

-RM
UA really doesn't need a THIRD hub / focus city on West coast @:-) I loved the SEA-NRT, but there's a reason why my upgrades always cleared when I requested them

What is wrong with AS if you are SEA based? Seems like a solid choice to me. Sadly they just announced no PDB in FC as part of slowly becoming less flier friendly, but at least so far still has better service and cleaner planes than UA or AA (don't fly DL at all, so don't know).
Old Aug 12, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I think the only way you get more flights to SEA is if Newark wins the bid for Amazon’s HQ2. Perhaps it’d get us p.s. service on EWR-SEA
Old Aug 12, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle

-RM
And in many ways it is worse. You don’t fly DL for the skypesos.

DL seems to be treating SEA like a focus city rather than a hub. They have the least own metal flights internationally of any alliance west coast hub (SEA-HKG R.I.P.).
Old Aug 12, 2018, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by SFOdelayed
And in many ways it is worse. You don’t fly DL for the skypesos.

DL seems to be treating SEA like a focus city rather than a hub. They have the least own metal flights internationally of any alliance west coast hub (SEA-HKG R.I.P.).

Amazingly enough, no nonstop to DFW (former DL hub), 8th or so largest metropolitan area in USA @:-)
Old Aug 12, 2018, 1:21 pm

-RM
We fly to Jpn few times a year. As for domestic US plane trips, I only do it 5-6x a year.
My miles are in UA>>AS>>>DL.
Whether it's UA or AS, saver award redemption for Jpn is far better value than for domestic travels. I want to be able to get close to or better than 2cents to a mile for every redemption. It's almost impossible to get that kind of redemption on domestic flights.
So I almost exclusively use miles to fly to Jpn, and DL miles are essentially unusable for that purpose.

I think UA miles are very easy to use. Multiple saver award seats in Y on nonstops to Jpn are always available (35k each way) from SEA or YVR with enough lead time for peak seasons, sometimes on fairly short notice for non-peak seasons.
AS miles were always more difficult to use than UA. Now with the erosion of their partnerships, it's become even harder. Even when AS and DL were on good terms, you could never find any saver seats on DL's NRT flight. AS miles were only useable on DL's short-lived empty HND red-eyes. After that flight got pulled, I was unable to use AS miles for a long time until JL's YVR flights came along (but this means I have to drive to YVR).

With DL, forget about it. Such crappy redemption. SEA-TYO is always at least 110k miles, whereas I'm always able to book 3 on NH's nonstop with UA miles at 70k each.

With regards to your comment about not knowing how many UA miles you're going to get, I've never had that issue.
If you fly UA codeshare on NH metal, then UA's website makes it clear what you'll earn based on the fare class and whether you booked via UA or NH. And that is what I earn each time. The only issue I have is that sometimes UA miles earned on BR do not post and then I have to call UA later... but I think that's BR's issue.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.