Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Wi-Fi Subscription - Q&A, issues, ...

Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United WiFi subscription.
First announced in early 2017, withdrawn and then re-introduced Feb 2018

Appears to be the same as the originally proposed pricing
Annual is 11x monthly; North America & Central America or Global option

Originally Posted by mozilla
For some reason, they put a wrong link on the MP account overview page.

The new Wi-Fi subscription is handled by the same general subscription management interface which also covers subscriptions for United Club, Economy+, etc.

Here is the correct link: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/subscription/wifi

Pricing depends on the term and the covered geographical region:

North America and Central America, monthly: $49 or 7,540 miles
North America and Central America, annual: $539 or 82,930 miles
Global, monthly: $69 or 10,620 miles
Global, annual: $759 or 82,930 miles

Yes, I've noticed the discrepancy, same mileage pricing in both annual options, but that's what it says right now.

Subscribers can change the geographic region where they want to use a subscription from the North and Central America region to Global at any time. Subscribers cannot switch from a Global subscription to a North and Central America subscription.

As with the other subscriptions, it is possible to gift a Wi-Fi subscription to someone else.
On 8 May 2017, some received
Originally Posted by dok_indo
Hard to believe this is true, but here's an email I just received from UA:

We have some important information about your United Wi-FiSM subscription purchase on April 10, 2017.

Due to a technical issue, we offered United Wi-Fi subscriptions before we were fully ready to make them available. We have since removed the option to purchase United Wi-Fi subscriptions.

The good news is that you can still use your subscription until December 31, 2017, and you’ll receive a full refund for your purchase. United Wi-Fi subscriptions will also be available for purchase again soon.

We hope you enjoy your subscription, and we’re sorry for any confusion that this may have caused.

United Airlines Wi-Fi Team
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 3, 2016, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat

According to United Airtime (https://unitedairtime.com/your-quest...ction-package/) there will be a Wi-Fi subscription available by the end of this year. I'm guessing it should be released this month. Has anyone heard anything else about it? Any ideas on pricing, increments (monthly/yearly)? Would you opt for one of these subscriptions?
Old Dec 3, 2016, 7:03 am

Like many things, the devil is in the details. United currently has multiple pricing schemes, though I've noticed in recent months they are harmonizing around a single interface/pricing model of 1hr/2hr/whole flight, and payable with miles or dollars. (The pricing per hour varies based on flight length, interestingly). Until that system is rolled out to all aircraft, it will be hard for them to sell monthly or yearly plans because some planes will recognize it and others won't.

I generally fly TCON flights, about 15x a year, so ~30 segments annually. Typically, I take advantage of United's "pause wifi" feature, and get email, download what I need, then hit pause. After that I can do all my work, then unpause, send emails, etc. Doing that, I only need an hour of wifi for a 6 hr flight, and the price for one hour is generally $3.99, or 30x$3.99 = $120yr/$10mo.

So, unless United's subscription is <$10/mo, I wouldn't bite. And I doubt it would be that cheap.

If you need constant connectivity in the air and/or you fly a lot of segments and have to pay over and over on every flight, I can see the calculus being quite different.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I just noticed they upgraded the TPAC flight onboard wifi interface and hiked the price, now $6.99 for 1hr, $12.99 for 2 hrs and $24.99 for whole flight. That's almost 50% price increase...I believe this is since November.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gokeeper
I just noticed they upgraded the TPAC flight onboard wifi interface and hiked the price, now $6.99 for 1hr, $12.99 for 2 hrs and $24.99 for whole flight. That's almost 50% price increase...I believe this is since November.
Depends on the flight, I guess. I'm at $16.99 full flight with no other options for PEK-EWR.

Also, despite the website saying a subscription will be available by EoY I'd bet pretty heavily against that.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
The wifi reliability is an issue. I have noted interruptions through out every international flight I have been on this year. I am willing to pay for an annual subscription if the reliability improves and the pricing makes sense.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 6:44 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
The wifi reliability is an issue. I have noted interruptions through out every international flight I have been on this year. I am willing to pay for an annual subscription if the reliability improves and the pricing makes sense.
Exactly. A subscription will make it difficult to determine what refund is due for broken or intermittent service on a flight. I don't use it often, but the few times I've tried have all been very poor experiences.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by JBord
Exactly. A subscription will make it difficult to determine what refund is due for broken or intermittent service on a flight. I don't use it often, but the few times I've tried have all been very poor experiences.
+1. The service is highly unreliable when flying over water. That will have to be addressed before I will cough up a subscription.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 1:32 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Comped wifi would be a great way to increase the value of high end credit cards (e.g. Club +PP) and Plat/1k/GS status. WN offers it to elites IMHO.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
I, for one, would be very interested in a package.. for basic coms my wifi success has been ~90% with a few un-usable times..

Not having to go through the purchase each time would be great!
Old Dec 7, 2016, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Comped wifi would be a great way to increase the value of high end credit cards (e.g. Club +PP) and Plat/1k/GS status. WN offers it to elites IMHO.
Agreed!
Old Dec 7, 2016, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA Silver
I'd definitely be interested in the service. I fly UA a lot for transcons SFO-IAD to visit family, and always purchase WiFi as it saves me a vacation day sitting on a plane. I typically do full flight, as my mode of work requires access to an online messaging app.

Of course, it'll depend on pricing and the number of flights needed to break even.

One other minor note, typically subscriptions count toward PQD, while wifi purchases do not as far as I know, so a possible small advantage.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I'd be willing to pay around $50/month for something like this, assuming I could "pause" the subscription for months when I know I won't be flying.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 6:55 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
That would be a good benefit, and consistent with hotel programs which give free high-speed wifi to their top level elite.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 6:52 pm

In the meantime, JetBlue just made wi-fi free. That's what I am willing to pay (and I'll definitely take this into consideration for the next domestic flight)
http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/11/pf/j...estic-flights/
Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by br2k
In the meantime, JetBlue just made wi-fi free. That's what I am willing to pay (and I'll definitely take this into consideration for the next domestic flight)
http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/11/pf/j...estic-flights/
That headline is awful: to wit, wifi has always been free on B6. What happened today is that they finally completed adding it to their entire fleet, so it's now available -- and, as always, free -- on every flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.