Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Wi-Fi Subscription - Q&A, issues, ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United WiFi subscription.
First announced in early 2017, withdrawn and then re-introduced Feb 2018

Appears to be the same as the originally proposed pricing
Annual is 11x monthly; North America & Central America or Global option

Originally Posted by mozilla
For some reason, they put a wrong link on the MP account overview page.

The new Wi-Fi subscription is handled by the same general subscription management interface which also covers subscriptions for United Club, Economy+, etc.

Here is the correct link: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/subscription/wifi

Pricing depends on the term and the covered geographical region:

North America and Central America, monthly: $49 or 7,540 miles
North America and Central America, annual: $539 or 82,930 miles
Global, monthly: $69 or 10,620 miles
Global, annual: $759 or 82,930 miles

Yes, I've noticed the discrepancy, same mileage pricing in both annual options, but that's what it says right now.

Subscribers can change the geographic region where they want to use a subscription from the North and Central America region to Global at any time. Subscribers cannot switch from a Global subscription to a North and Central America subscription.

As with the other subscriptions, it is possible to gift a Wi-Fi subscription to someone else.
On 8 May 2017, some received
Originally Posted by dok_indo
Hard to believe this is true, but here's an email I just received from UA:

We have some important information about your United Wi-FiSM subscription purchase on April 10, 2017.

Due to a technical issue, we offered United Wi-Fi subscriptions before we were fully ready to make them available. We have since removed the option to purchase United Wi-Fi subscriptions.

The good news is that you can still use your subscription until December 31, 2017, and you’ll receive a full refund for your purchase. United Wi-Fi subscriptions will also be available for purchase again soon.

We hope you enjoy your subscription, and we’re sorry for any confusion that this may have caused.

United Airlines Wi-Fi Team
Print Wikipost

United Wi-Fi Subscription - Q&A, issues, ...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2018, 2:55 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Also, what timezone is it using? Departure? Central? Zulu?

Because if my segment of my last subscription day was say... SYD-LAX, I'd be a bit peeved if I can't use the subscription because it's going off the time in SYD, while technically it's a day before in LAX (an thus, I still had 12 hours left ) when I take off.

I'm wondering if there isn't a "grace period" of sorts.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by fezzington
Also, what timezone is it using? Departure? Central? Zulu?

Because if my segment of my last subscription day was say... SYD-LAX, I'd be a bit peeved if I can't use the subscription because it's going off the time in SYD, while technically it's a day before in LAX (an thus, I still had 12 hours left ) when I take off.

I'm wondering if there isn't a "grace period" of sorts.
easy way to check this is to periodically see when the “subscription expires” date changes before you buy. It shows up just like a united ticket, but in the top right corner it says the date. I’d imagine it’s using either central time or Hawaiian time.

I’d also hope for a small grace period too. I can definitely report back January 7th if it’s not cleared up by then.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Can anyone confirm that a subscription qualifies for Amex fee reimbursement? I have about $90 left on my Aspire that's going to expire . . . thinking about putting it toward a wifi subscription.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 1:51 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
Can anyone confirm that a subscription qualifies for Amex fee reimbursement? I have about $90 left on my Aspire that's going to expire . . . thinking about putting it toward a wifi subscription.
Yes. I used my Aspire for several monthly UA WiFi subscriptions.
bocastephen, wxguy and Kacee like this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, 6C AMB, HH Silver
If you purchase a subscription during a "flight" session, can you get retroactive credit?
Old Dec 22, 2018, 2:30 pm

Had a new one happen today on UA838 NRT-SFO.

Wi-Fi worked fine the first 30-ish minutes. Afterward, the wirless completely dropped out. There was no United_Wifi to connect to for the rest of the flight. Me asking the FA's fell on deaf ears, they said I should just write in and ask for a refund, which is going to be hard since I'm on a global monthly pass (which I bought for my flights to and from NRT). Very disappointed.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by BThumme
Wi-Fi worked fine the first 30-ish minutes. Afterward, the wirless completely dropped out. There was no United_Wifi to connect to for the rest of the flight. Me asking the FA's fell on deaf ears, they said I should just write in and ask for a refund, which is going to be hard since I'm on a global monthly pass (which I bought for my flights to and from NRT). Very disappointed.
Direct your complaint to customer care / 1kvoice rather than requesting a refund. They should give you an ETC or miles.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Direct your complaint to customer care / 1kvoice rather than requesting a refund. They should give you an ETC or miles.
The standard ETC for this is $75, no matter the length of flight. I've received it for short domestic and long TPACs.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:24 pm

The ETC for Wi-Fi not working was $50 for this 1K with global Wi-Fi subscription on a recent 3.5hr domestic flight.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: LH Senator, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
What is the proper procedure to upgrade the subscription from North America to Global?

According to the website, this should work ("Subscribers can change the geographic region where they want to use a subscription from the North and Central America region to Global at any time. However, they will need to pay the difference in subscription fees if applicable.") and it worked before.

I'm currently on a monthly gift subscription for North America, which I'd like to switch to Global. However, the website always wants to charge me the full price ($69) instead of just the difference ($20).

Also, does anyone know why depositing a gift subscription into the TravelBank does not work?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA gold; WN A; PC plat; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bookeew
What is the proper procedure to upgrade the subscription from North America to Global?

According to the website, this should work ("Subscribers can change the geographic region where they want to use a subscription from the North and Central America region to Global at any time. However, they will need to pay the difference in subscription fees if applicable.") and it worked before.

I'm currently on a monthly gift subscription for North America, which I'd like to switch to Global. However, the website always wants to charge me the full price ($69) instead of just the difference ($20).

From the FAQ on the united wifi subscription page, I bolded the key part about your situation of monthly subscription:

"You can change your subscription from North and Central America to Global at any time on the My Account page. Changing your subscription will extend its duration for another month or year, whichever is applicable. For monthly subscriptions, no residual value is applied to the new monthly subscription. For annual subscriptions, we’ll automatically apply any remaining value of your existing subscription to the cost of the new subscription and you will be required to pay any remaining value for the new subscription. "
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:59 am
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
United WiFi Subscription - Changing Plans

According the United’s website, a change from a North America plan to a Global plan is permitted and can be done by paying the plan fee difference. I was on the phone for 30 minutes with 1K Web Support and they have no idea how to do it nor believe it can actually be done. I didn’t have time to HUCA as they closed the main cabin door and I had to get off my phone. Has anyone had any success in changing their plan during an active subscription?

More details: I have a North America plan that is active through January 9, 2019. I am flying internationally on January 9, 2019, and when I went to go purchase a Global plan, it tells me it won’t be active until January 10, presumably because I have an active subscription right now.

The 1K Desk nor 1K Web Support weren’t any help.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA gold; WN A; PC plat; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by In The 216
According the United’s website, a change from a North America plan to a Global plan is permitted and can be done by paying the plan fee difference. I was on the phone for 30 minutes with 1K Web Support and they have no idea how to do it nor believe it can actually be done. I didn’t have time to HUCA as they closed the main cabin door and I had to get off my phone. Has anyone had any success in changing their plan during an active subscription?

More details: I have a North America plan that is active through January 9, 2019. I am flying internationally on January 9, 2019, and when I went to go purchase a Global plan, it tells me it won’t be active until January 10, presumably because I have an active subscription right now.

The 1K Desk nor 1K Web Support weren’t any help.
Looks like I'm responding a little too late for the poster's situation.

I have a monthly North America plan that expires Feb 7 2019. I go to manage subscription (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/sub...gesubscription). On the line that is my monthly North America wifi subscription, I click on the link "Modify Subscription". On the upper right of the page it shows:

Wi-Fi subscription
Valid until: 2/10/2019
Subscription options
North and Central America
Subscriber
Monthly

It lets me change the Region from North America to Global. It lets me select Duration as keeping as monthly or changing to yearly. When I select Global and keep monthly, it shows $69 as the cost, and the upper right changes to:

Wi-Fi subscription
Valid until: 2/10/2019
Subscription options
Global
Subscriber
Monthly

So the "upgraded" subscription does not wait until my current subscription runs out, but rather is effective the date of the upgrade purchase. Also as I mentioned two posts above, for monthly subscriptions upgrading from north america to global, United does not ask you to pay for the difference, but rather ask you to pay for the full price of the global subscription. It's only the annual subscription upgrading from north america to global that United credits you for the north america subscription.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:11 am

Just want to reinforce this. I had a monthly global wifi pass. On one SFO-EWR flight there was wifi, but my pass wasn't recognized. I asked two FAs for help to no avail; later sent a screenshot of the active subscription and the "cannot process connection" message (forget the actual wording) to customer care and received a $200 ETC. On my return flight there was no wifi at all. I requested a prorated refund via the refunds page, and got a whopping $7.99. I didn't push it, as the first ETC was more than the monthly subscription cost. But I'm reluctant to buy further subscriptions given the overall wifi unreliability.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by BThumme

easy way to check this is to periodically see when the “subscription expires” date changes before you buy. It shows up just like a united ticket, but in the top right corner it says the date. I’d imagine it’s using either central time or Hawaiian time.

I’d also hope for a small grace period too. I can definitely report back January 7th if it’s not cleared up by then.
Happy to report my Wi-Fi did work on the very last day, even though the page said it expired at 12am that day (not that night).

I also took FT's advice and contacted 1Kvoice and received a $100 ETC, so kudos to UA. All I was really looking for was 20-30 for what it would have cost that flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.