Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Wi-Fi Subscription - Q&A, issues, ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United WiFi subscription.
First announced in early 2017, withdrawn and then re-introduced Feb 2018

Appears to be the same as the originally proposed pricing
Annual is 11x monthly; North America & Central America or Global option

Originally Posted by mozilla
For some reason, they put a wrong link on the MP account overview page.

The new Wi-Fi subscription is handled by the same general subscription management interface which also covers subscriptions for United Club, Economy+, etc.

Here is the correct link: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/subscription/wifi

Pricing depends on the term and the covered geographical region:

North America and Central America, monthly: $49 or 7,540 miles
North America and Central America, annual: $539 or 82,930 miles
Global, monthly: $69 or 10,620 miles
Global, annual: $759 or 82,930 miles

Yes, I've noticed the discrepancy, same mileage pricing in both annual options, but that's what it says right now.

Subscribers can change the geographic region where they want to use a subscription from the North and Central America region to Global at any time. Subscribers cannot switch from a Global subscription to a North and Central America subscription.

As with the other subscriptions, it is possible to gift a Wi-Fi subscription to someone else.
On 8 May 2017, some received
Originally Posted by dok_indo
Hard to believe this is true, but here's an email I just received from UA:

We have some important information about your United Wi-FiSM subscription purchase on April 10, 2017.

Due to a technical issue, we offered United Wi-Fi subscriptions before we were fully ready to make them available. We have since removed the option to purchase United Wi-Fi subscriptions.

The good news is that you can still use your subscription until December 31, 2017, and you’ll receive a full refund for your purchase. United Wi-Fi subscriptions will also be available for purchase again soon.

We hope you enjoy your subscription, and we’re sorry for any confusion that this may have caused.

United Airlines Wi-Fi Team
Print Wikipost

United Wi-Fi Subscription - Q&A, issues, ...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2017, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
On my last flight device switching wasn't even working... they seem to be going backward, not forward.

Last edited by mduell; Oct 15, 2017 at 6:17 pm
Old Oct 15, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
This thread has a few claims of iPass integration by end of year: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...e-later-5.html (Mods, maybe we should merge threads)?

A few of us got lucky and were given annual subscriptions, which are still working. So the functionality is still there. Seems like they made a business decision not to sell the product.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by sbm12
2) United and Panasonic are not going to be able to change the speed of light anytime soon.
Even for GS?? That's a bummer, isn't it?
tommyhtown likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:00 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bworrell
Excellent! After 8 UA mainline flights this week the costs add up. I'm looking forward to having ipass...
Agreed! I forget how quickly it adds up sometimes when you have a connection in each direction.

Originally Posted by FLYDCA
Did you happen to ask end of which year? These promises are all so vague.
Sadly, they did tell me end of 2017. A quick update: ~3 weeks ago the person at my company who manages our iPass accounts said that he is still being told it will happen by year end.

At this point, I'm losing hope. Unless they plan on rolling it out on 12/31. Definitely frustrating how long this has been "coming soon".
Old Dec 12, 2017, 5:42 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
At this point, I'm losing hope. Unless they plan on rolling it out on 12/31. Definitely frustrating how long this has been "coming soon".
This is what I got from our iPass sales rep yesterday:

United Airlines is about 50% on-boarded (about 300 or so aircraft) and is scheduled to integrate the second half of their fleet sometime in 2018. We haven’t received a ballpark for when that is other than they are hoping to be the first half of 2018.

He also mentioned that the price might go up once UA is fully covered, but that may be a ploy to get us to sign before the end of the year.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:24 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
United's wifi and ipass/boingo

Do you know if United's wifi, especially on TATL/TPAC routes partners with ipass/boingo?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:41 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by invisible
Do you know if United's wifi, especially on TATL/TPAC routes partners with ipass/boingo?
Believe, ouside of the GoGo equiped aircraft (not used on TATL), not yet
Originally Posted by legalalien
This is what I got from our iPass sales rep yesterday:
United Airlines is about 50% on-boarded (about 300 or so aircraft) and is scheduled to integrate the second half of their fleet sometime in 2018. We haven’t received a ballpark for when that is other than they are hoping to be the first half of 2018.
He also mentioned that the price might go up once UA is fully covered, but that may be a ploy to get us to sign before the end of the year.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 22, 2018 at 12:50 am Reason: rephrased (not used on TATL)
Old Jan 31, 2018, 7:27 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Per company communication, United wi-fi subscription is returning on 2 February.

I'm sure someone will be along with more details at some point.
ContinentalFan and legalalien like this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: United Premier 1k, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hilton Diamond
Thank god subscriptions are returning!
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:40 pm

Programs: All the programs!
That's good news. Hopefully at a good rate.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by fezzington
Per company communication, United wi-fi subscription is returning on 2 February.

I'm sure someone will be along with more details at some point.
any other info? How to sign up? Prices???
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: All the programs!
The page should go live tomorrow. VFTW shared this screenshot.

Xyzzy and legalalien like this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by oopl
The page should go live tomorrow. VFTW shared this screenshot.

This line doesn't seem to be very..comforting: "We do not guarantee availability of Wi-Fi service onboard aircraft; therefore, cash refunds will not be provided for intermittent or non-functioning connections". But then it's followed by the other line stating "Inflight Service app with customer resolution functionality....to offer in the moment compensation.."
So are they just not offering monetary compensation anymore and just 'miles'? Is that what those two lines mean? #TranslateForMe
Old Feb 1, 2018, 11:19 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Looks like it's up now, at the bottom of:

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/Subscription/Home

(tried linking directly to the wifi page but copying and pasting the URL results in a redirect to the UA home page)

North America and Central America monthly $49/7,550 7,500 miles, annual $539/83,010 80,000 miles
Global monthly $69/10,630 10,500 miles, annual $689/106,110 100,000 miles

Last edited by Zorak; Feb 2, 2018 at 6:53 am Reason: the price in miles changed on united.com overnight, editing to match
Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I'm wondering what the enforcement f this part of the T&Cs will be like: "Subscriptions may only be used by the subscriber on a flight and on one device at a time. Your subscription is non-transferable and it is against our policy for your subscription to be used on a flight that you are not on." It's quite easy for them to tell whether you are on a flight or not...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.