Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Wi-Fi Subscription - Q&A, issues, ...

United Wi-Fi Subscription - Q&A, issues, ...

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 20, 19, 3:32 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
United WiFi subscription.
First announced in early 2017, withdrawn and then re-introduced Feb 2018

Appears to be the same as the originally proposed pricing
Annual is 11x monthly; North America & Central America or Global option

Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
For some reason, they put a wrong link on the MP account overview page.

The new Wi-Fi subscription is handled by the same general subscription management interface which also covers subscriptions for United Club, Economy+, etc.

Here is the correct link: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/subscription/wifi

Pricing depends on the term and the covered geographical region:

North America and Central America, monthly: $49 or 7,540 miles
North America and Central America, annual: $539 or 82,930 miles
Global, monthly: $69 or 10,620 miles
Global, annual: $759 or 82,930 miles

Yes, I've noticed the discrepancy, same mileage pricing in both annual options, but that's what it says right now.

Subscribers can change the geographic region where they want to use a subscription from the North and Central America region to Global at any time. Subscribers cannot switch from a Global subscription to a North and Central America subscription.

As with the other subscriptions, it is possible to gift a Wi-Fi subscription to someone else.
On 8 May 2017, some received
Originally Posted by dok_indo View Post
Hard to believe this is true, but here's an email I just received from UA:

We have some important information about your United Wi-FiSM subscription purchase on April 10, 2017.

Due to a technical issue, we offered United Wi-Fi subscriptions before we were fully ready to make them available. We have since removed the option to purchase United Wi-Fi subscriptions.

The good news is that you can still use your subscription until December 31, 2017, and you’ll receive a full refund for your purchase. United Wi-Fi subscriptions will also be available for purchase again soon.

We hope you enjoy your subscription, and we’re sorry for any confusion that this may have caused.

United Airlines Wi-Fi Team
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 9, 17, 5:59 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott/SPG Amb, Hyatt Explorist
The answer has been changed and now says "early 2017".
Old Feb 9, 17, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Silver (Former Premier 1K), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Silver, AmEx Plat
*sighs* I just hope they don't keep pushing it forward more and more.
Old Feb 9, 17, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer View Post
The wifi reliability is an issue. I have noted interruptions through out every international flight I have been on this year. I am willing to pay for an annual subscription if the reliability improves and the pricing makes sense.
Agreed, I typically fly TCON redeye or outside of business hours. Last year I had my first opportunity to try wifi during a day flight for work. Bought the wifi, spent 10 minutes doing some work, paused for meal, when returning from the meal, wifi no longer worked on the remainder of the flight. I was pretty pissed off to say the least. United cancelled my flight the night before, so I was stuck taking a day flight and screwing over all my colleagues. Of course it "was up" but I couldn't even get an email refresh, so completely useless. Trying to get that refunded was a total pain in the shorthairs too - you have to jump through hoops and fill out ancient forms - the systems are clearly not integrated in any way to united itself. I would have thought a call to the 1k line and they could have reversed the charge but nope.

I realize I'm not a target candidate for this, but the reliability alone would worry me.
Old Apr 7, 17, 11:17 am

United to offer WiFi Subscription soon?

I logged into my United account today and saw this new option. However the link only directed to an empty page. Any idea when this feature can be actually available?
Attached Images  

Last edited by stellarlight; Apr 7, 17 at 11:23 am
Old Apr 7, 17, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1.5MM Platinum, UC Lifetime , HHonors Diamond, Presidential Plus card holder
Originally Posted by stellarlight View Post
I logged into my United account today and saw this new option. However the link only directed to an empty page. Any idea when this feature can be actually available?
I saw this yesterday and got the same result when I clicked on the link: an empty page.
United has multiple providers of wireless services so setting up a subscription service might be more complicated than they imagined.
Old Apr 7, 17, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
wifi is free for WN elite flyers as well
Old Apr 7, 17, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
My SFO-HND full flight access was $26.99. IIRC on TPACs it was normally like $14-17.
Maybe they're jacking up the prices to entice a subscription program.
Old Apr 7, 17, 4:36 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by JVPhoto View Post
My SFO-HND full flight access was $26.99. IIRC on TPACs it was normally like $14-17.
Maybe they're jacking up the prices to entice a subscription program.
Recently on a 744 I saw $29.99 while on a 772 it was $16.99
Old Apr 10, 17, 5:11 am

The new Wi-Fi subscription is handled by the same general subscription management interface which also covers subscriptions for United Club, Economy+, etc.

Yes, I've noticed the discrepancy, same mileage pricing in both annual options, but that's what it says right now.

Subscribers can change the geographic region where they want to use a subscription from the North and Central America region to Global at any time. Subscribers cannot switch from a Global subscription to a North and Central America subscription.

As with the other subscriptions, it is possible to gift a Wi-Fi subscription to someone else.
Old Apr 10, 17, 10:04 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5MM, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Emerald Executive
So, unless you fly roundtrip every week, does not appear to be worthy.
Old Apr 10, 17, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
I wonder if this means they'll be enabling the iPass integration they announced a while back.
Old Apr 10, 17, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium/LT Gold
Originally Posted by mozilla View Post

Wow, what horrible pricing. I was expecting a discount or something - I told myself I'd sign up for $25/mo or $300 a year - but this isn't even close. I fly weekly, but even when I was flying twice a week, this wouldn't be worth it - I don't connect for the whole flight every leg.. I guess for those people that just HAVE to be working 24/7 - but still, the on-demand rates ($7.99 full flight IAD-DEN) have been more than reasonable IMHO.
Old Apr 10, 17, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tcp1 View Post
Wow, what horrible pricing. I was expecting a discount or something - I told myself I'd sign up for $25/mo or $300 a year - but this isn't even close. I fly weekly, but even when I was flying twice a week, this wouldn't be worth it - I don't connect for the whole flight every leg.. I guess for those people that just HAVE to be working 24/7 - but still, the on-demand rates ($7.99 full flight IAD-DEN) have been more than reasonable IMHO.
You're right; those are indeed horrid prices. However, my experience has been a general uptick in full-flight rates, with transcons now running up to $24 or so. DEN-IAD last month was somewhere around $16 for me. Seems like UA has been testing the waters for much-pricier wifi...
Old Apr 10, 17, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium/LT Gold
Originally Posted by exerda View Post
DEN-IAD last month was somewhere around $16 for me. Seems like UA has been testing the waters for much-pricier wifi...
Yikes.. I fly that route every Sunday. Can I ask what day of the week it was? Maybe they're also changing pricing by demand / travel day???
Old Apr 10, 17, 3:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tcp1 View Post
Yikes.. I fly that route every Sunday. Can I ask what day of the week it was? Maybe they're also changing pricing by demand / travel day???
It was a Monday IIRC, so that could have something to do with it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: