Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Wi-Fi Subscription - Q&A, issues, ...

United Wi-Fi Subscription - Q&A, issues, ...

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 20, 19, 3:32 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
United WiFi subscription.
First announced in early 2017, withdrawn and then re-introduced Feb 2018

Appears to be the same as the originally proposed pricing
Annual is 11x monthly; North America & Central America or Global option

Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
For some reason, they put a wrong link on the MP account overview page.

The new Wi-Fi subscription is handled by the same general subscription management interface which also covers subscriptions for United Club, Economy+, etc.

Here is the correct link: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/subscription/wifi

Pricing depends on the term and the covered geographical region:

North America and Central America, monthly: $49 or 7,540 miles
North America and Central America, annual: $539 or 82,930 miles
Global, monthly: $69 or 10,620 miles
Global, annual: $759 or 82,930 miles

Yes, I've noticed the discrepancy, same mileage pricing in both annual options, but that's what it says right now.

Subscribers can change the geographic region where they want to use a subscription from the North and Central America region to Global at any time. Subscribers cannot switch from a Global subscription to a North and Central America subscription.

As with the other subscriptions, it is possible to gift a Wi-Fi subscription to someone else.
On 8 May 2017, some received
Originally Posted by dok_indo View Post
Hard to believe this is true, but here's an email I just received from UA:

We have some important information about your United Wi-FiSM subscription purchase on April 10, 2017.

Due to a technical issue, we offered United Wi-Fi subscriptions before we were fully ready to make them available. We have since removed the option to purchase United Wi-Fi subscriptions.

The good news is that you can still use your subscription until December 31, 2017, and youll receive a full refund for your purchase. United Wi-Fi subscriptions will also be available for purchase again soon.

We hope you enjoy your subscription, and were sorry for any confusion that this may have caused.

United Airlines Wi-Fi Team
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 21, 21, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SFO 1K View Post
Wi-Fi available from the gate at LAX on an older 737-900ER.

Offerings
Messaging - Free
Supported: IP-based messaging apps like: iMessage, Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, WeChat
Not supported: SMS, Sending photos and videos, Email and web browsing

Basic - $11.99 or 2400 miles
Supported: Email and web browsing, Social media, Messaging
Not supported: Video and audio streaming, App downloads and updates, VPN access

Premium - $11.99 or 2400 miles
Supported: Video and audio streaming, App downloads and updates, VPN access, +Everything supported in Basic

My personal experience with a Subscription for the month was that my Wi-Fi was about as effective as previous. I did get streaming video from Facebook, honestly I can't remember if I had that before. Didn't try to download any apps or use VPN.
Is that a typo or were basic and premium the same price?
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jul 21, 21, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 23 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by AUSNYCflyer View Post
They were the same price on the flight I was on.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jul 21, 21, 9:49 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by SFO 1K View Post
Wi-Fi available from the gate at LAX on an older 737-900ER.
The procedure now, on the 737 fleet, is to "turn on" the internet at the beginning of our pre-flight process. Internet should be available within a few minutes of the first pilot's arrival at the aircraft which would normally be before boarding begins.

By "turn on", I mean we override the below 10,000' cutoff. Exceptions would be when maintenance is being performed on top of the aircraft, when taxiing under bridges, and when being de-iced.
SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.
Old Jul 21, 21, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1K MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
I tried this with iMessage but couldn't get it to work. It said I was activated, but the message wouldn't send.

I think iMessage might have been trying to send as SMS, even though I had the use iMessage setting enabled and the recipient was also iPhone/iMessage. I poked around for a couple minutes then gave up.

It also seemed like I had one text (SMS) "leak" through, but I'm not sure why. I had some others that did not.
imessages worked just fine for me yesterday, so this obviously a YMMV.
Old Jul 23, 21, 7:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Originally Posted by AUSNYCflyer View Post
Also looks like the same feature set (both have streaming).

I got the message about free iMessage/whats app before flight today on 737-900. Will see what happens. (Though aren't these among the planes that had free messaging/push as a result of some sort of port opening in the wifi system?)
Old Jul 23, 21, 8:11 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by drewguy View Post
I got the message about free iMessage/whats app before flight today on 737-900.
Can you lookup the ship number that is assigned to that flight?
Old Jul 23, 21, 9:22 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, & Hong Kong (As a United Lifetime Global Services)
Programs: *LIFETIME* United Global Services (rip 1K), Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Instagram DMs, iMessage, Messenger, WhatsApp, WeChat, and Line all worked on the free messaging plan. VERY surprised IG DMs worked. Very nice surprise for people that typically buy two plans (one for phone to message people and one for computer for work).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 23, 21, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by drewguy View Post
Also looks like the same feature set (both have streaming).

I got the message about free iMessage/whats app before flight today on 737-900. Will see what happens. (Though aren't these among the planes that had free messaging/push as a result of some sort of port opening in the wifi system?)
I suspect that, for now, they are one and the same.

I'm only guessing since I just reactivated my WiFi monthly subscription -- still $49, and no options for basic/premium.
Old Aug 3, 21, 8:35 am

Programs: United 1k, American Express Platinum
Who would I contact about my wifi subscription not working? Took a red eye last night and every time I tried logging in using my credentials, it said there was no subscription available. No issues with it last week. Should I contact 1k line or someone else?

Thanks
Old Sep 13, 21, 5:58 pm

I just took my first flight since the pandemic started and, as a former frequent flyer, I was completely surprised that after purchasing the only full-flight wi-fi option (named as Basic), VPN access is blocked. This was a 737-900, going cross-country, with a Thales system. How does this make any sense for business travelers? This wasn't an issue previously. The lack of VPN access support was not displayed until after purchase.

The United website still advertises VPN access for in-flight wi-fi here: united.com/ual/en/us/fly/help/faq/wifi.html

The link prior to the flight also shows that if Basic is the maximum available, then VPN access is included: united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/inflight/wifi.html
Old Sep 13, 21, 6:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, animaniac
Originally Posted by animaniac View Post
.. The link prior to the flight also shows that if Basic is the maximum available, then VPN access is included: united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/inflight/wifi.html
Was there a Premium wifi option offered?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 13, 21 at 6:58 pm Reason: Premium, not Advance
Old Sep 13, 21, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post

Was there a Premium wifi option offered?
I've never seen a "Premium" ffering, only "Basic." Which system // aircraft is "Premium" offered on?
Old Sep 13, 21, 11:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
I've never seen a "Premium" ffering, only "Basic." Which system // aircraft is "Premium" offered on?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33425476-post270.html (it little funky as they are the same)

It has been mentioned in some other posts and UA infers its existance but it seems rare
Old Sep 14, 21, 8:40 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, & Hong Kong (As a United Lifetime Global Services)
Programs: *LIFETIME* United Global Services (rip 1K), Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33425476-post270.html (it little funky as they are the same)

It has been mentioned in some other posts and UA infers its existance but it seems rare
I saw this on a flight to Miami (or somewhere in Florida, cant remember which flight) in addition to having a free Wifi option for messaging.

I think I bought the basic plan and the wifi speed was what I had come to expect from in-flight wifi.
Old Sep 17, 21, 5:52 am

I know that if you are auto-renewed, it happens on the expiration date, but I can't remember -- without renewal, does the subscription work on the date of expiration, or does it end the day prior?

Search this Thread