Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Wi-Fi Subscription - Q&A, issues, ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United WiFi subscription.
First announced in early 2017, withdrawn and then re-introduced Feb 2018

Appears to be the same as the originally proposed pricing
Annual is 11x monthly; North America & Central America or Global option

Originally Posted by mozilla
For some reason, they put a wrong link on the MP account overview page.

The new Wi-Fi subscription is handled by the same general subscription management interface which also covers subscriptions for United Club, Economy+, etc.

Here is the correct link: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/subscription/wifi

Pricing depends on the term and the covered geographical region:

North America and Central America, monthly: $49 or 7,540 miles
North America and Central America, annual: $539 or 82,930 miles
Global, monthly: $69 or 10,620 miles
Global, annual: $759 or 82,930 miles

Yes, I've noticed the discrepancy, same mileage pricing in both annual options, but that's what it says right now.

Subscribers can change the geographic region where they want to use a subscription from the North and Central America region to Global at any time. Subscribers cannot switch from a Global subscription to a North and Central America subscription.

As with the other subscriptions, it is possible to gift a Wi-Fi subscription to someone else.
On 8 May 2017, some received
Originally Posted by dok_indo
Hard to believe this is true, but here's an email I just received from UA:

We have some important information about your United Wi-FiSM subscription purchase on April 10, 2017.

Due to a technical issue, we offered United Wi-Fi subscriptions before we were fully ready to make them available. We have since removed the option to purchase United Wi-Fi subscriptions.

The good news is that you can still use your subscription until December 31, 2017, and you’ll receive a full refund for your purchase. United Wi-Fi subscriptions will also be available for purchase again soon.

We hope you enjoy your subscription, and we’re sorry for any confusion that this may have caused.

United Airlines Wi-Fi Team
Print Wikipost

United Wi-Fi Subscription - Q&A, issues, ...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by jmcintosh
On a later day UX flight and the subscription login worked just fine for accessing the Gogo system. Hopefully it’s only up from here.
I wrote in to the refund department to see if they would do or say anything (with the above screenshot). They refunded my month...hopefully without cancelling my subscription, all I was looking for was a $10 refund or travel voucher to offset yesterday.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by villox
It's a bit crazy to me that an annual wi-fi subscription costs more than a United Club membership.
It's not crazy to me that amenities offered in the sky cost more than amenities offered on the ground, both because of higher costs of providing the service and a more captive audience / no local competition. If the United Club costs too much, you'll visit a PP club or sit at a restaurant or at the gate. If the United wifi costs too much, you can use your Priority Pass in-flight wifi.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Global monthly wifi option not able to be purchased

I attempted to purchase a global monthly wifi subscription on united.com, and encountered a glitch. After selecting the global monthly option and clicking the Purchase Now button, I was presented with the domestic monthly option and amount. There was no option to switch to the global plan. I contacted web support and they confirmed that they were able to replicate the error and were working on it. No solution yet.

Has anyone been able to purchase a global monthly wifi subscription?
Old Feb 14, 2018, 7:35 am

I was flying ORD-IAH-MEX on sunday. ORD-IAH worked great on a 767. On IAH-MEX, internet should have worked over the US. When I tried logging on, I got an alert my subscription wasn't valid for my location (or something along those lines). Of the 6 flights I've been on since buying, 2 have worked (pretty well actually), 2 did not work with my subscription/recognize my subscription, 2 had "internet unavailable" including my entire MEX-EWR flight (no compensation offered) - (FA said something about wifi upgrades to the aircraft?)
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by meducate
I attempted to purchase a global monthly wifi subscription on united.com, and encountered a glitch. After selecting the global monthly option and clicking the Purchase Now button, I was presented with the domestic monthly option and amount. There was no option to switch to the global plan. I contacted web support and they confirmed that they were able to replicate the error and were working on it. No solution yet.

I didn't realize it until after I purchased the domestic monthly option.

I switched immediately to the annual global and got a refund for the domestic monthly.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus

Yes - I purchased a global one via the web site on the 2nd with n problem.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Yes - I purchased a global one via the web site on the 2nd with n problem.
Ha!
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Ha!
f course, now I'm trying to determine the best place to complain as during my last two flights (both on A320 aircraft) it was pretty much unusable.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Emailed 1K voice as last 3 flights were inoperable. Not buying another subscription until United finally fixes their constant wifi issues.

Both segments today had inoperable wifi (319 and 737) as well as a segment last week (319).
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by demkr
Emailed 1K voice as last 3 flights were inoperable. Not buying another subscription until United finally fixes their constant wifi issues.

Both segments today had inoperable wifi (319 and 737) as well as a segment last week (319).
I'm running 1/4 for the past 2 weeks, so a similarly bad experience. Although mine are almost always the 738/739's sCO (w/ DirecTV) that don't work. Surprisingly, the Airbus have usually been pretty reliable for me.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 8:31 am

Someone please help me. Once again, I get an error message that my UA account is not associated with a valid subscription - the subscription I bought that expires 3/3/18. I'm flying MEX-ORD. MEX is considered part of the domestic (non-global) region. I'm about 2/7 now on being able to use wifi. I had to pay for internet this flight because I need to be connected - on top of my already paid subscription. This is super frustrating.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 8:39 am

I had this exact issue when trying to purchase a subscription in-flight on my ipad. Then later, when I did it from a normal desktop on the ground, I had no issue. Don't know if it was the "in-flight" part, the "ipad" part or something else altogether, but I was finally successful.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
I had this exact issue when trying to purchase a subscription in-flight on my ipad. Then later, when I did it from a normal desktop on the ground, I had no issue. Don't know if it was the "in-flight" part, the "ipad" part or something else altogether, but I was finally successful.
Interesting! I have only tried from my desktop while on the ground, and tried using several different browsers. United support continues to tell me that they are working on it and will let me know when there is a solution. Just to confirm, you have a global subscription?
Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:03 am

Just to confirm, you have a global subscription?
Correct - global subscription. Just keep trying. Maybe even try your phone or an iPad... seems to be a very fluky bug.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Before we boarded a flight at LAX yesterday, the GA made an announcement that the DirecTV and wifi were not working. About midway through the flight, the DirecTV and power ports started working, but the wifi never kicked in. I wonder if people with subscriptions were proactively offered any form of compensation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.