Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

Hour 6:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. daily
A la carte dining, last seating 8 p. m.

United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' qualify for deaparture, connecting and arrival of a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, northern South America, ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.
For partner, Business or International First, access only at departure airport and same destination restrictions as UA (roughly at least 8+ hours long haul international - TATL, TPAC, yes any UA Polaris destination but no trans-border).

No Guests (except 1 guest for International First partner flights)

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges (wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

International T5 ORD partner *G lounges
Print Wikipost

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
AA gave you a lift to a UA flight? Scandalous!
Old Feb 12, 2018, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
AA gave you a lift to a UA flight? Scandalous!
They were really nice at AA. I approached the whole situation with humor, I mean after all we are talking about a disposable razor and toothbrush -- on the 1-10 scale of things that are actually a big deal this was like a 0. I will say that my past visit to Polaris lounge the attendant at the door gave one of the nicest, genuine greetings I can remember stepping into an airline lounge.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by BOStonTravels
They were really nice at AA. I approached the whole situation with humor, I mean after all we are talking about a disposable razor and toothbrush -- on the 1-10 scale of things that are actually a big deal this was like a 0. I will say that my past visit to Polaris lounge the attendant at the door gave one of the nicest, genuine greetings I can remember stepping into an airline lounge.
Impressive... you got off an AA long international flight - the only way to have access to the FL in ORD - and were flying out again on a long *A international flight - the only way to get access to the PL. That is a long interesting day of flying.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 4:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Global321
Impressive... you got off an AA long international flight - the only way to have access to the FL in ORD - and were flying out again on a long *A international flight - the only way to get access to the PL. That is a long interesting day of flying.
sorry to let you down but my capabilities are not that impressive. Any oneworld sapphire or emerald status card (other than AA’s own) can access the FL or AC no matter what AA flight they are on. They did make an exception for me as I was coming off an AA flight at ORD (have found a couple times that AA clubs have done this YMMV after arrival). A pretty decent status benefit (very similar to a non UA star gold and access to a United Club) — surprised you weren’t aware!!

Last edited by BOStonTravels; Feb 12, 2018 at 5:01 pm
Old Feb 12, 2018, 5:11 pm

sorry to let you down but my capabilities are not that impressive. Any oneworld sapphire or emerald status card (other than AA’s own) can access the FL or AC no matter what AA flight they are on. They did make an exception for me as I was coming off an AA flight at ORD (have found a couple times that AA clubs have done this YMMV after arrival). A pretty decent status benefit (very similar to a non UA star gold and access to a United Club) — surprised you weren’t aware!!
I am aware. Very unusual to have a person with boston in their alias (and posts indicating they are based in Boston) to be an elite in non-US program based. Missed that. Anyway, continue with your stories. I believe you were at the part that AA cared so much about the BA flyer that they drove them across terminals to a direct competitors gate.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 5:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Global321
I am aware. Very unusual to have a person with boston in their alias (and posts indicating they are based in Boston) to be an elite in non-US program based. Missed that. Anyway, continue with your stories. I believe you were at the part that AA cared so much about the BA flyer that they drove them across terminals to a direct competitors gate.
LOL very Global of you to make those assertions. Clearly you weren’t aware of OW lounge access rules since you were totally incorrect in your post about it.

Im sure it’s shockingly unusual with BA having multiple flights a day and AA also having multiple non stops to major US cities to be a OW frequent flyer out of BOS... please. I’m probably the only one LOL.

To bring us back on track detective, this was about the Polaris lounge food decline, no longer being able to wash a t-shirt because of one passengers complaint and not being able to provide disposable shave kits because of safety concerns.

Last edited by BOStonTravels; Feb 12, 2018 at 5:55 pm
Old Feb 12, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
I live in Houston and am Qantas Gold. Now back to the thread topic!
Old Feb 12, 2018, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Not possible LOL!!!
Old Feb 12, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just as a datapoint, I flew TLV-EWR-SFO on Friday night in J, arriving Saturday morning.

Then on Sunday I flew on the same ticket in F from SFO-ORD, connecting to another flight in economy on a different ticket. I had no trouble accessing the Polaris lounge in ORD using my inbound boarding pass, despite not having flown Polaris that day. The connection in SFO was around 23 hours, which I presume is why I was allowed enter.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 6:56 pm

A United Global Service Member in Houston having secondary status on another alliance is not surprising at all. In fact it is a good FF best practice to invest in status on a second alliance.

Someone in Boston claiming they have BA status only is somewhat unique, but not crazy. Claiming AA gave them a ride to a UA gate is ... quite a story.

Now back to the thread topic!
Old Feb 13, 2018, 7:18 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
I would say it is a good bet that I use the ORD Polaris lounge and UA GFLs a fair bit more than you. I have always been offered dental and shaving kits including 10 days in ORD. So, clearly YMMV.

All the food in the Polaris lounge is prepared and cooked daily in their own kitchen. Including the potato chips. Nothing prepackaged. Now you may not like it or not be satisfied by the variety, but nothing in there apart from the mints was prepared in advance.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As mentioned transborder AC premium cabin passengers are not eligible for Polaris access. No change for other partners, just the AC transborder passengers,
I know this was announced at some point, but the access rules on https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ge/access.aspx
make no mention of this, and I have friends flying ORD-YYZ on AC J that have told me they are still able to get in. One as recent as last Friday.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by D582

I know this was announced at some point, but the access rules on https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ge/access.aspx
make no mention of this, and I have friends flying ORD-YYZ on AC J that have told me they are still able to get in. One as recent as last Friday.
If they had access in the past, it was before the rules were modified to eliminate that loophole, and in the event of your friend last Friday, due to a friendly dragon.

The rules are clear, from your link: "1United Polaris is available on trans-Pacific or trans-Atlantic flights, and on flights from the U.S. to the southernmost South American destinations: Lima, Santiago de Chile, Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo, and Rio de Janeiro. All other international routes are United Business® and include use of the United Club: Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia and Ecuador."
Old Feb 13, 2018, 7:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by uanj
I would say it is a good bet that I use the ORD Polaris lounge and UA GFLs a fair bit more than you. I have always been offered dental and shaving kits including 10 days in ORD. So, clearly YMMV.

All the food in the Polaris lounge is prepared and cooked daily in their own kitchen. Including the potato chips. Nothing prepackaged. Now you may not like it or not be satisfied by the variety, but nothing in there apart from the mints was prepared in advance.
Then I would say it’s even more embarrassing for UA if they are cooking that daily because the offerings were pretty mediocre quality. Reminded me of a TGI Friday’s. Please tell me what’s high quality about having fish, pasta, etc sitting in miniature pan on a buffet warming plate under light and for hours and hours?

LOL...it’s great that you recieved a shave and toothbrush kit 10 days ago but that didn’t really help me much.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
If they had access in the past, it was before the rules were modified to eliminate that loophole, and in the event of your friend last Friday, due to a friendly dragon.

The rules are clear, from your link: "1United Polaris is available on trans-Pacific or trans-Atlantic flights, and on flights from the U.S. to the southernmost South American destinations: Lima, Santiago de Chile, Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo, and Rio de Janeiro. All other international routes are United Business® and include use of the United Club: Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia and Ecuador."
No, it is not clear. That footnote makes reference to United Polaris and United Business, both of which you would find on United-operated flights. A flight on another Star Alliance airline may have Business Class or First Class, but it is not United Polaris or United Business.

A UA ORD-YYZ J flight features United Business®, so they get United Club access. No arguments there.

A AC ORD-YYZ J flight is an international business class flight on a Star Alliance airline, not United Polaris or United Business®.

If it is United's policy to exclude AC ORD-YYZ pax, then they need to explicitly state that in the access rules for Star Alliance International Business Class customers. Because at the moment, it doesn't state that at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.