Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

Hour 6:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. daily
A la carte dining, last seating 8 p. m.

United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' qualify for deaparture, connecting and arrival of a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, northern South America, ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.
For partner, Business or International First, access only at departure airport and same destination restrictions as UA (roughly at least 8+ hours long haul international - TATL, TPAC, yes any UA Polaris destination but no trans-border).

No Guests (except 1 guest for International First partner flights)

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges (wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

International T5 ORD partner *G lounges
Print Wikipost

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:50 am
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zetaprime
Thanks all for the confirmations! (my LAX-MEL is definitely UA metal). ....
The specific UA statement, providing access for UA Polaris ticketed customers
A boarding pass for travel in United Polaris business class customers in United Polaris business class may access a United Polaris lounge at departure, connecting and arrival airports along their eligible same-day routing.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by zetaprime
Thanks all for the confirmations! (my LAX-MEL is definitely UA metal). I actually received a different answer from @UNITED on twitter, but I trust the answers here more. (ORD-LAX leaves at 4:30PM so it will be open). This is what @UNITED said:

>While you won't be able to access the Polaris Lounge at ORD, you will be able to access the United Club at LAX. >Our Polaris Lounge at LAX is not quite done yet; we apologize for this inconvenience.
Maybe that @UNITED sometimes also works the Polaris check-in desk at ORD. That one told me once that Polaris First passengers cannot bring one guest in the Polaris Lounge. Like others, I did Small City-ORD-EWR-EDI with EWR-EDI in Polaris Business and was able to enter the Polaris Lounge at ORD as well as on the return EDI-EWR-ORD-Small City.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by chermorg
this presuming you can re-clear security at the destination, of course, which requires a valid same day boarding pass at all airports in the US except PIT.
Huh, how come you don't need a boarding pass for security at PIT?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by LXFlyer
Huh, how come you don't need a boarding pass for security at PIT?
They started this late last year - there's a counter at which you validate that you're not on the no-fly list, and you get a "boarding pass" that allows you to go through security. Intended for friends and family primarily, I presume
Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by LXFlyer
What are the new partner rules?
At the opening of the lounge, international business/first class passengers on non-UA Star Alliance flights were admitted to the Polaris lounge, which resulted in the odd situation of an AC YYZ-ORD C customer having Polaris Lounge access while a UA ORD-YYZ C customer would not. Hence the 'loophole', which was closed a few months ago.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cricketer
They started this late last year - there's a counter at which you validate that you're not on the no-fly list, and you get a "boarding pass" that allows you to go through security. Intended for friends and family primarily, I presume
More like using the shopping opportunities at the airport. It was designed that way pre-9/11 and my understanding is that there are unique to Pittsburgh, high end shops there.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
More like using the shopping opportunities at the airport. It was designed that way pre-9/11 and my understanding is that there are unique to Pittsburgh, high end shops there.
Weren't most airports designed Pre-9/11? I can see many airports making the same statement saying that there are shops post-security that could benefit from additional foot traffic. What makes Pittsburgh unique?
Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Weren't most airports designed Pre-9/11? I can see many airports making the same statement saying that there are shops post-security that could benefit from additional foot traffic. What makes Pittsburgh unique?
This will likely be pulled for veering off topic but google is your friend - try Pittsburgh airport shopping
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA
Talking Wow, what a flagship experience LOL

Nice hard product in the Polaris ORD lounge but talk about a low energy soft product. Food is disgusting lots of dried out options on the buffet for hours. Did they get the fried chicken from KFC? I love how the menu is like "created by Chef Art Smith," what a joke. What did he create, a takeout bucket from KFC?

The shower room hard product was indeed nice. The "Saks Fifth Avenue" towels etc are a bit gauche. Sadly an amazing fail with the amenities. The attendant told me no more laundry (I wanted a fresh T-shirt) because "a customer's shirt was messed up." Then I asked for a shave and toothbrush kit, the response; "We dont have shaving kits anymore, a customer got a cut," and "We ran out of toothbrush kits" LOL.

Just for fun I put on a serious face and talked to the manager to express my concern that the glassware in the lounge poses a real safety risk and I hope to see it removed by my next visit. The manager said I wasnt the first person to share that concern LOL... What a joke.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by BOStonTravels
Nice hard product in the Polaris ORD lounge but talk about a low energy soft product. Food is disgusting lots of dried out options on the buffet for hours. Did they get the fried chicken from KFC? I love how the menu is like "created by Chef Art Smith," what a joke. What did he create, a takeout bucket from KFC?

The shower room hard product was indeed nice. The "Saks Fifth Avenue" towels etc are a bit gauche. Sadly an amazing fail with the amenities. The attendant told me no more laundry (I wanted a fresh T-shirt) because "a customer's shirt was messed up." Then I asked for a shave and toothbrush kit, the response; "We dont have shaving kits anymore, a customer got a cut," and "We ran out of toothbrush kits" LOL.

Just for fun I put on a serious face and talked to the manager to express my concern that the glassware in the lounge poses a real safety risk and I hope to see it removed by my next visit. The manager said I wasnt the first person to share that concern LOL... What a joke.
Ridiculous. They have shaving & toothbrush kits at SFO Arrivals Lounge.
Also, some people would love KFC chicken!
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Ridiculous. They have shaving & toothbrush kits at SFO Arrivals Lounge.
Also, some people would love KFC chicken!
Yeah, I mean the menu seems really geared toward fast-foodies (e.g. my fellow obese Americans). Be nice to see a more varied selection. From what I could see the several people around me also just picked at their food. Who is this chef Art Smith? Does he consult with McDonalds as well?

I cannot really believe UA pulled shaving kits and stopped laundry because someone nicked themselves and a shirt got ruined -- really? I mean maybe I should have also told the manager they should stop serving food for security reasons, someone might choke. LOL.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Yeah, I mean the menu seems really geared toward fast-foodies (e.g. my fellow obese Americans). Be nice to see a more varied selection. From what I could see the several people around me also just picked at their food. Who is this chef Art Smith? Does he consult with McDonalds as well?

I cannot really believe UA pulled shaving kits and stopped laundry because someone nicked themselves and a shirt got ruined -- really? I mean maybe I should have also told the manager they should stop serving food for security reasons, someone might choke. LOL.
Chicago mob/union effect.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Chicago mob/union effect.

LOL... UA dishes out fast food and can’t provide disposable razors because of Unions and the mob?

My story gets exponentially better. I had come off an AA flight in ORD and had some hours so wandered back to the AA flagship lounge (FL). Hard product not as nice as Polaris but food was exponentially better and more varied. I told the agent about the lack of razors and they laughing not only let me back in the FL, provided me razors and toothbrush and finally took me on a concierge key (of which I am not) ride to the UA gate saying “we will take care of you.”

Can you imagine UA doing this? LOL I mean the Polaris attendent could barely bother to look up at me when saying they couldnt even provide a toothbrush. Maybe he had to look down for security reasons.

Last edited by BOStonTravels; Feb 12, 2018 at 2:10 pm
Old Feb 12, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA GS

LOL... UA dishes out fast food and can’t provide disposable razors because of Unions and the mob?

My story gets exponentially better. I had come off an AA flight in ORD and had some hours so wandered back to the AA flagship lounge (FL). Hard product not as nice as Polaris but food was exponentially better and more varied. I told the agent about the lack of razors and they laughing not only let me back in the FL, provided me razors and toothbrush and finally took me on a concierge key (of which I am not) ride to the UA gate saying “we will take care of you.”

Can you imagine UA doing this? LOL I mean the Polaris attendent could barely bother to look up at me when saying they couldnt even provide a toothbrush. Maybe he had to look down for security reasons.
I think this is unnecessarily harsh. Yes, they have fried chicken and burger and fries on the menu (by the way, it's one of the best burger and fries you'll ever have), but they also have beef carpaccio, steak, an extensive breakfast menu, etc. I wish it changed more often but between that and the buffet there are plenty of options to eat well before your flight.

The razor thing is a bit silly, but I didn't even realize they did laundry.
chavala likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by villox
it's one of the best burger and fries you'll ever have), but they also have beef carpaccio, steak, an extensive breakfast menu, etc. I wish it changed more often but between that and the buffet there are plenty of options to eat well before your flight.
That must have been why the two well dressed women at the next table sent their burgers back — maybe the burgers were so good these two savvy looking travelers were overwhelmed by the quality.

I was actually there during the shift from breakfast into lunch and categorically the range of breakfast offerings is limited compared to AA Flagship.

Again, the Polaris hard product is much nicer than any of AA's FL offerings (which I incidentally think are very low end especially compared to some of the furniture in their previous FL lounges).

From what I gather the Polaris lounge menu has not changed since day one. Hey, I guess Chef Art Smith can’t win them all...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 12, 2018 at 9:18 pm Reason: Unneeded comments removed

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.