Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

Hour 6:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. daily
A la carte dining, last seating 8 p. m.

United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' qualify for deaparture, connecting and arrival of a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, northern South America, ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.
For partner, Business or International First, access only at departure airport and same destination restrictions as UA (roughly at least 8+ hours long haul international - TATL, TPAC, yes any UA Polaris destination but no trans-border).

No Guests (except 1 guest for International First partner flights)

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges (wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

International T5 ORD partner *G lounges
Print Wikipost

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Confused

ok—flying ORD-EWR-DUB in Polaris Business. Am I able to access the ORD Polaris lounge?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by tryathlete
ok—flying ORD-EWR-DUB in Polaris Business. Am I able to access the ORD Polaris lounge?
Yes
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by onthesam
Yes
thank you!—-but I forgot to mention ORd-EWR is in “First”
(On ticket— ORD-EWR says First even though it’s in a Polaris 777) and EWR-DUB is in Polaris. Does that matter?
onthesam likes this.

Last edited by tryathlete; Feb 17, 2019 at 10:59 pm
Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by st530

img
The sit-down menu seems to have suffered a major downgrade. Gone are the meatball, awesome ribeye and fried chicken (both sandwich and main). But hey, you can now get porridge for breakfast. Next month gruel?
This happened some time last summer, I think, although the 'please wait to be seated' sign is newer.

I wouldn't call it a major downgrade, although I miss some items on the old menu. On the new menu, a few standouts in my view are the smoothie, the corn cakes, buttermilk pancakes w/ cheddar, and the pacific salmon. I think the burger isn't changed, and it is still good; better than SFO. The avocado fries seem good in concept, but the one time I had it the avocado was perhaps too ripe for frying.

Originally Posted by tryathlete

thank you!—-but I forgot to mention ORd-EWR is in “First”
(On ticket— ORD-EWR says First even though it’s in a Polaris 777) and EWR-DUB is in Polaris. Does that matter?
Doesn't matter. You could be in Economy for ORD-EWR and access as long as EWR-DUB is in Polaris.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Dpetryszyn
I have a ORD to LAX flight at 08:10am connecting to LAX to SYD. From my understanding, I will have Polaris access at ORD.

If the club opens at 7:15am, will I have time for a sit down breakfast. How quick is their service?

I also see up thread that the club has opened at 6:45am in the past, any recent reports on if this is still the case?
The opening at 6:45 AM is to accommodate the passengers arriving from GRU. Since during this season the flight arrives at 5:25 AM I think that the Polaris Lounge will be open at 6:45 AM. In the spring and summer, the flight from GRU arrives at 6:55 AM. I think that then the Polaris Lounge will revert to opening at 7:15 AM.

However I don't know about the service. One time I arrived at the Polaris Lounge at 7:00 AM and there was nothing yet in terms of hot food in the buffet. They were just starting to put the food out, starting with the cold items. I did not look if they were serving the sit-down area at that time so cannot comment. However, if they only start serving at 7:15 AM, I would think it's a bit tight as your flight to LAX will probably start boarding around 7:40 AM.
Dpetryszyn likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by st530

The sit-down menu seems to have suffered a major downgrade. Gone are the meatball, awesome ribeye and fried chicken (both sandwich and main). But hey, you can now get porridge for breakfast. Next month gruel?
They pulled the fried chicken when the relationship with Art Smith ended.

Have to imagine Trotter Project will bail soon...can't imagine they want to be associated with the casserole / frozen dinner mains on board now.
Maybe Hungry Man or Swanson will be interested in a sponsorship...?
iluv2fly, st530 and porciuscato like this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
The opening at 6:45 AM is to accommodate the passengers arriving from GRU. Since during this season the flight arrives at 5:25 AM I think that the Polaris Lounge will be open at 6:45 AM. In the spring and summer, the flight from GRU arrives at 6:55 AM. I think that then the Polaris Lounge will revert to opening at 7:15 AM..
The opening time should change on March 10 when the clocks in the US spring forward for Daylight Savings. already fell back an hour in Brazil on Feb 17 for those places that observe the time change.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I was on GRU-ORD last week which arrived at 5:15am - the Polaris Lounge did not open until 7am and I had to camp out in the C18 UC for an hour.

No one sat down for the dining service but the buffet items were quite appetizing.

The opening at 6:45 AM is to accommodate the passengers arriving from GRU. Since during this season the flight arrives at 5:25 AM I think that the Polaris Lounge will be open at 6:45 AM. In the spring and summer, the flight from GRU arrives at 6:55 AM. I think that then the Polaris Lounge will revert to opening at 7:15 AM.

However I don't know about the service. One time I arrived at the Polaris Lounge at 7:00 AM and there was nothing yet in terms of hot food in the buffet. They were just starting to put the food out, starting with the cold items. I did not look if they were serving the sit-down area at that time so cannot comment. However, if they only start serving at 7:15 AM, I would think it's a bit tight as your flight to LAX will probably start boarding around 7:40 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by 764toHI
I was on GRU-ORD last week which arrived at 5:15am - the Polaris Lounge did not open until 7am and I had to camp out in the C18 UC for an hour.

No one sat down for the dining service but the buffet items were quite appetizing.
So, now my theory went down the drain. I just looked the opening times on the United website. It states now that it opens at 7:00 AM. It used to state 7:15 AM.
When we were traveling at the end of November it opened at 6:45 AM but we did not know about it. We landed in Terminal F at 6:15 AM coming from a domestic origin and passed in front of the Polaris Lounge at 6:40 AM, we read the sign saying 7:15 AM so, like you, went to the C18 UC. It was so bad that at 6:55 AM, my wife decided that she preferred to just go wait in front of the entrance of the Polaris Lounge. To her surprise it was open. The agent said it opened at 6:45 AM for the GRU passengers.

Next time that you have to wait one hour you should go to the B6 UC. It's way better than the C18 UC.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I agree the B6 UC is better than the C18 UC, but I didn't want to backtrack and my connecting flight departed from C10 (I thought about staying put in the UC but decided it was worth it to move and spend 30mins in the Polaris Lounge).

Next time that you have to wait one hour you should go to the B6 UC. It's way better than the C18 UC.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:46 am

After 4 months without an international long haul trip, I got to the ORD Polaris Lounge. The food served on the hot little pans is no more. Now it's all served in the big pots. Disappointing change as I really liked the teriyaki salmon and the pasta with shrimp.

In the lavatories they put the same bins that they have in the EWR Polaris Lounge. They empty them less often than the previous bins. Previously the attendant was always there emptying bins and making sure that the lavatories were clean. Now, it seems that attendants only show up from time to time (maybe every hour) and the lavatories were more dirty. They also lowered the quality of the paper towels. The new ones feel cheap.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
They also lowered the quality of the paper towels. The new ones feel cheap.
Noticed this at SFO PL the other day. Furthermore, these were also used as napkins at the table in the Dining Room.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj

Noticed this at SFO PL the other day. Furthermore, these were also used as napkins at the table in the Dining Room.
Hopefully they did not grab some in the lavatories to put on the tables.......
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After 4 months without an international long haul trip, I got to the ORD Polaris Lounge. The food served on the hot little pans is no more. Now it's all served in the big pots. Disappointing change as I really liked the teriyaki salmon and the pasta with shrimp.

In the lavatories they put the same bins that they have in the EWR Polaris Lounge. They empty them less often than the previous bins. Previously the attendant was always there emptying bins and making sure that the lavatories were clean. Now, it seems that attendants only show up from time to time (maybe every hour) and the lavatories were more dirty. They also lowered the quality of the paper towels. The new ones feel cheap.
The new paper towels are branded, though!

I agree, it seems like there have only been cuts. The paper towels are much thinner, and in light of your previous note about the smoked salmon, it feels part of a disappointing trend. I had failed to notice that the hot food changed from individual serving to communal mess, but I now recognise why I thought things seemed less 'nice'. On my last visit, the staff were all hanging out chatting around the second buffet station (the one near the dining area), which then made it feel quite awkward to get any of the food from there. They have often loitered there when between duties, but not so numerously and imposingly as that time.

Also, I didn't notice anyone comment on it, but the former self-serve whisky station disappeared a long time ago.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fumje
Also, I didn't notice anyone comment on it, but the former self-serve whisky station disappeared a long time ago.
At least a year

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.