Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

Hour 6:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. daily
A la carte dining, last seating 8 p. m.

United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' qualify for deaparture, connecting and arrival of a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, northern South America, ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.
For partner, Business or International First, access only at departure airport and same destination restrictions as UA (roughly at least 8+ hours long haul international - TATL, TPAC, yes any UA Polaris destination but no trans-border).

No Guests (except 1 guest for International First partner flights)

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges (wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

International T5 ORD partner *G lounges
Print Wikipost

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: UAMP Global Services, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by kluau88
I have heard that the Polaris lounge in SFO is targeted to open on or around April 30. Employee orientation starts next week.
Wow, if that is true, this will be the first time that UA has exceeded expectations (admittedly now reduced) with respect to Polaris roll out. Will be great to have Polaris open in SF

Having said that, I’m glad UA is taking time to do things right. I was in the ORD lounge last fall at a peak time, and the crowding really was a problem. I was there again last week, and the expanded space has made all the difference. You really get a sense of what the Polaris lounge experience is supposed to be.

And if the finally right ORD lounge is an indicator, that experience should be on par with the best international business lounges, period.
UAL250 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
I have heard that the Polaris lounge in SFO is targeted to open on or around April 30. Employee orientation starts next week.
Big if true.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW the entry agent at SFO former IFL said not until August, and 'definitely not April'.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by tryathlete
OK— here’s my gripe. I pay $400 extra for a W fare so I can waitlist for Polaris business first using a GPU. I’m in Chicago where there happens to be the nearly one and only Polaris lounge. My upgrade is battlefield and finally it clears or it doesn’t but because it doesn’t clear at the window, I don’t get to use the lounge.

To me, I either way, UA is keeping some of the value. Why not give access to anyone who is eligible for the UG?
While it would be lovely if UA could give this access, or know who could theoretically get the upgrade and give them access, I can answer your question for why not give access to anyone who is eligible for the upgrade: The Polaris lounges are already more crowded that UA expected, enough so that I think a reason for the delay in opening the additional lounges is due increasing their size from initial plans. Often there are 20 or more pax on the UG list. It would crush the Polaris lounges to add all these passengers to the Polaris lounge. UA may also feel, rightly so, that if you want the full Polaris experience, pay for it. Or travel on off-peak days when upgrades can confirm in advance.

I do not see this policy changing.
onthesam and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by fumje
FWIW the entry agent at SFO former IFL said not until August, and 'definitely not April'.
I was going to post "April 30 2019" but didn't want to be snarky. I've heard the same August target from various people.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
If I was to fly SIN-SFO-ORD-OMA all in J, would I have access to the Polaris lounge in ORD (or only in SFO, assuming it's open by then)?
Old Apr 1, 2018, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swiftaw
If I was to fly SIN-SFO-ORD-OMA all in J, would I have access to the Polaris lounge in ORD (or only in SFO, assuming it's open by then)?
Yes. You can access the lounge at any airport it's open within 24hrs of any flight on your itinerary that includes a Polaris segment.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 5:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by swiftaw
Yes, if the SIN-SFO is operated by UA and no stopover in SFO (just connecting)
Old Apr 1, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes, if the SIN-SFO is operated by UA and no stopover in SFO (just connecting)
Yes, while journey on UA, just a shortish connection in SFO.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
A month ago, my wife and I arrived at the ORD Polaris Lounge at about 8:45 AM for a flight to Asia. We found a good location with two seats together. As I usually do, I went to the buffet area to get some smoked salmon, potatoes and croissants. Then, I went to the bar to ask for two glasses of Veuve Clicquot. A few minutes later, a couple arrives and the wife decides that they should sit near us in two opposing cubicles so they can see and talk to each other. Once seated, the wife starts making the international gesture for drinking. Husband ignores her, so she does more frantic gestures. Then, she points repeatedly to her watch. Husband ignores her, so she points more frantically to her watch. Then, she thought her husband was not paying enough attention to her so she loudly said: "It's only 9 AM!". Husband wasn't looking too happy, so maybe he wished he could also get a glass of Veuve Clicquot or a beer like other passengers. Then, for the next hour, the wife was talking loudly to her husband. I don't know but, if you want to chat, it's better to get seats together. And there were plenty of those available at that time.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
Originally Posted by hdfdisk

Hmm, the weird rumor I heard it is gonna open end of the month.

I tell you, the world keeps underestimating UA. You will be surprised multiple times this year.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by hdfdisk

Hmm, the weird rumor I heard it is gonna open end of the month.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29538735-post765.html
Old Apr 5, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
A month ago, my wife and I arrived at the ORD Polaris Lounge at about 8:45 AM for a flight to Asia. We found a good location with two seats together. As I usually do, I went to the buffet area to get some smoked salmon, potatoes and croissants. Then, I went to the bar to ask for two glasses of Veuve Clicquot. A few minutes later, a couple arrives and the wife decides that they should sit near us in two opposing cubicles so they can see and talk to each other. Once seated, the wife starts making the international gesture for drinking. Husband ignores her, so she does more frantic gestures. Then, she points repeatedly to her watch. Husband ignores her, so she points more frantically to her watch. Then, she thought her husband was not paying enough attention to her so she loudly said: "It's only 9 AM!". Husband wasn't looking too happy, so maybe he wished he could also get a glass of Veuve Clicquot or a beer like other passengers. Then, for the next hour, the wife was talking loudly to her husband. I don't know but, if you want to chat, it's better to get seats together. And there were plenty of those available at that time.
Getting off topic, but years ago my wife and I walked into the Old Town Bar (on East 18th Street, NYC) around 2PM to get something to eat, and sat down at the bar among a pretty solid crowd. I think she was trying to be quiet, but it came out very loud: "WHO DRINKS AT TWO IN THE AFTERNOON!?!?!?" She got some looks! We still laugh about it to this day.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by physioprof
Getting off topic, but years ago my wife and I walked into the Old Town Bar (on East 18th Street, NYC) around 2PM to get something to eat, and sat down at the bar among a pretty solid crowd. I think she was trying to be quiet, but it came out very loud: "WHO DRINKS AT TWO IN THE AFTERNOON!?!?!?" She got some looks! We still laugh about it to this day.
Good that I was not drinking red wine while reading this. I laughed so much that I would have sprayed the hotel room carpet. Then, I would have had to send you the cleaning bill the hotel sent me.

It's 5:00 PM somewhere in the world, especially if you are in an airport. But, both my wife and I are from Europe, so it can be lunchtime somewhere in the world..
physioprof likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: 1K
Sitting in Polaris Lounge now. I'd say about 60% full, plenty of seats available. Ordered a cocktail and a cappuccino, bartender grunted, chucked the saucer at me and then made the two drinks. An employee came up and ordered their Tangerine & Tonic cocktail from the menu for someone sitting, bartender rolled his eyes and loudly said "Really? At 10:00 in the morning?!", it was 10:30. Few of us at the bar looked at each other in disbelief. He's been swapped out now, much friendlier person. I've been to this lounge about 7 times and haven't ever had anything negative to say. Just odd behavior. Otherwise, everything else is good!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.