Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

Hour 6:00 a.m. 9:00 p.m. daily
A la carte dining, last seating 8 p. m.

United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' qualify for deaparture, connecting and arrival of a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, northern South America, ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.
For partner, Business or International First, access only at departure airport and same destination restrictions as UA (roughly at least 8+ hours long haul international - TATL, TPAC, yes any UA Polaris destination but no trans-border).

No Guests (except 1 guest for International First partner flights)

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges (wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

International T5 ORD partner *G lounges
Print Wikipost

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
A few weeks ago, I was flying in Polaris First from ORD. I did the check-in at the Polaris counter in Terminal 1. My wife who was traveling in Economy + had done the check-in the previous evening to put herself in the upgrade list. She was standing next to me. When the agent gave me my boarding pass, she turns to my wife and asks if she is traveling Polaris First or Business. My wife says no. The agent proceeds to tell us that, then, my wife did not have access to the Polaris Lounge. Good that we knew the rule that Polaris First passengers can have one guest. I wonder how many other passengers would have accepted her assertion.

On the return, we arrived at the Polaris Lounge at 5:15 PM on a Sunday (if Fumje reads this post, here's the answer: my wife did guest me in). It's good that they have opened the extension part because the place was packed and in the previous configuration we would not have found seats. But, by 6:00 PM, the lounge totally emptied. Then, at about 7:30 PM, passengers started arriving for the flights departing at 9:00-9:30 PM.

After 13 months shouldn't they change the lunch/dinner buffet menu? Maybe change it 4 times per year. Or would that increase the risk of "enhancements"?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
After 13 months shouldn't they change the lunch/dinner buffet menu? Maybe change it 4 times per year. Or would that increase the risk of "enhancements"?
I was thinking the same thing after my last visit. Would be nice, but not overly concerning. Between the buffet choices and the seated dining menu, I think there is enough variety.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA GS
Finally at the expanded ORD Polaris lounge for the first time. Wow, they did a fantastic job. I was afraid they'd skimp based on the unexpected need for expansion but the new area is almost nicer than the previous one. If this is how they're going to do the other lounges I'll be very happy (especially as I'm based out of EWR now). I find the food service area still a bit small though maybe they use the bar area when it's really busy.

Here for a 2:30 flight and it's pretty empty. I imagine it would still be full during the 6pm departure rush but there's a LOT more seating.

I would concur with the assessment that it would be nice to have the menu adjusted after 13 months but aside from GS most people aren't probably visiting that often. And a la cart wise I can't get enough of that burger.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:20 pm

What my wife and I noticed is that, after the passengers departed for the 6:00-6:30 pm departure flights and the lounge was empty, we could hear too much noise of clanging dishes in that newly expanded area. I had said to my wife that once I'm seated somewhere I'm not changing seats (something she likes to do) but I had to agree and we did move to seats in the original area.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Im planning to go to Asia connecting through BR 55. If I connect through ORD T1 could I get into the Polaris Lounge even though the flight technically takes off at 12:50am the next day? Also, when I check into my United flight would the counter issue me my other boarding passes from other Star Alliance partners? Planning to book itinerary through Aeroplan because of routing rules if that is important
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:38 pm

Flying ANA 1ST class back from Tokyo next month. Do I have access to the lounge once I end my journey at ORD?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by aln10788
Flying ANA 1ST class back from Tokyo next month. Do I have access to the lounge once I end my journey at ORD?
According to the Wiki on this thread, no. *A partners only upon departure.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by InterPlace55
I’m planning to go to Asia connecting through BR 55. If I connect through ORD T1 could I get into the Polaris Lounge even though the flight technically takes off at 12:50am the next day? Also, when I check into my United flight would the counter issue me my other boarding passes from other Star Alliance partners? Planning to book itinerary through Aeroplan because of routing rules if that is important
Correct. When you arrive in Terminal 1, you can access the Polaris lounge, assuming you are in Business Class on BR. You should not have a problem with the after-midnight departure. Note that the lounge closes at 9PM, and access to some of the services ends even earlier. (I believe showers close at 8PM).

You should receive all your boarding passes, assuming same ticket and no breaks / stopovers / etc.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by wxguy
According to the Wiki on this thread, no. *A partners only upon departure.
Thanks for the quick reply!
Old Jan 24, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I was thinking the same thing after my last visit. Would be nice, but not overly concerning. Between the buffet choices and the seated dining menu, I think there is enough variety.
Haven't had too much of the shrimp and grits, eh?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cranky1K
Haven't had too much of the shrimp and grits, eh?
Don't enjoy shrimp at all, but the pot pie has been around just as long. LOL
Most of my visits are prior to TPACs, so I am more likely to be eating their breakfast.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Most of my visits are prior to TPACs, so I am more likely to be eating their breakfast.
Most of my visits are prior to TPACs too, so I eat their breakfast for the PVG flight that is at 9:45 AM. But for PEK leaving at 12:30 PM, I check at 11:00 if they have changed to the lunch menu.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 3:16 pm

Are United Premier Golds and above allowed into Polaris lounge when traveling United or partner internationally in economy class?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 3:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TObject
Are United Premier Golds and above allowed into Polaris lounge when traveling United or partner internationally in economy class?
No, you are eligible for United Club, but not Polaris. Polaris is reserved for International Premium Cabin (not including North America flights) departures and UA Polaris arrivals)
TObject likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 25, 2018 at 3:47 pm Reason: exclusion is for North America international flights
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
United Lounge in ORD

Hi everyone

I have a query I couldn't find addressed elsewhere, so starting a new thread.

I'm wondering what the chance would be of being able to access the Polaris lounge in ORD.

I'll be flying J into JFK on a separate *A airline, then transitting through ORD (3hrs) in domestic First on UA from LGA to IND on the same day. I realise that technically, I won't be able to access the Polaris lounge, but I'm pretty sure I'll desperately want a shower during my long, 3 hr transit in ORD. And from what I can gather, the Polaris lounge is the only one with a shower in ORD that I can readily access.

Has anyone tried a similar situation? What was the outcome? I know the likelihood of getting in might be slim, so I'm not holding my breath. But never hurts to ask. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.