Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

Hour 6:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. daily
A la carte dining, last seating 8 p. m.

United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' qualify for deaparture, connecting and arrival of a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, northern South America, ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.
For partner, Business or International First, access only at departure airport and same destination restrictions as UA (roughly at least 8+ hours long haul international - TATL, TPAC, yes any UA Polaris destination but no trans-border).

No Guests (except 1 guest for International First partner flights)

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges (wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

International T5 ORD partner *G lounges
Print Wikipost

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
If do a redeye mileage run on SFO-ORD-FLL-EWR-SFO itinerary, you will have a 55-min connection at ORD. I do not know whether or not the PL is open between 6:40 am - 7:35 am.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Are they still promising hot food by Thursday? My wife and I are flying ORD-FRA-OSL Friday, and with the coming snowstorm, we may be there awhile...
Old Dec 13, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
I'd be surprised if UA doesn't eventually shift the AC shorthaul J passengers to the regular club, *A rules or not.

Look at what SQ and BR get away with at SFO on a regular basis yet *A has no teeth to correct the issue.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA lifetime gold, United Mileage Plus silver, Marriott Platinum Elite
Sorry to be asking this, but I was not sure if there was a definitive answer to this in the thread?

So I have a upcoming Polaris Business flight ORD-EWR-DEL in early January. The ORD-EWR leg ofcourse is Business First or whatever they call it. Will I be able to access the Polaris Lounge in Chicago? I am a lowly Silver (if that makes a difference).
Old Dec 13, 2016, 3:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cover point
So I have a upcoming Polaris Business flight ORD-EWR-DEL in early January. The ORD-EWR leg ofcourse is Business First or whatever they call it. Will I be able to access the Polaris Lounge in Chicago? ...
yes if within 24 hours of the EWR-DEL

There was some confusion initially but a email from UA has been posted on FT that access is permitted.

I am a lowly Silver (if that makes a difference).
It does not.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA lifetime gold, United Mileage Plus silver, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
yes if within 24 hours of the EWR-DEL

There was some confusion initially but a email from UA has been posted on FT that access is permitted.

It does not.
Thank you!

Should I try to print out the email incase they give grief or by January it should all be smooth?
Old Dec 13, 2016, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Should I try to print out the email incase they give grief or by January it should all be smooth?
I would not bother and the email wouldn't help if a problem occurred. The referenced problem happen soon after opening and things were still being worked out. Pretty sure you are safe now.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Just a quick two cents after my first lounge visit today...

-more elegant lounge than the prior GFL
-more crowded than the prior GFL, as expected. Thus a little less exclusive feeling. Kind of a shame but probably outweighed by improvements.
-a double ID check was slightly offensive. A guy with a British accent stood well outside the entry lounge and wanted to see our boarding passes, followed by the actual boarding pass scan and welcome inside at the desk. Seemed like an odd interim security solution. Though I can imagine it would only get worse. I always feel a personal jab with multiple security checks no matter where, and I sincerely hope united rethinks this. It shows a big sign of distrust towards customers.
-inside, nice scene all around. Good improvements. I like the cocktail bar and self pour whiskeys. Ice was melted entirely on the whiskey bar. Why no other liquor on the self-pour bar? What's the role of the liquor cabinets above? Seriously, are these personal cabinets? There are locks. I don't get it.
-should we be tipping or not at the Polaris lounge bar? I can honestly see both sides to this argument.
-with three of us, there were only a few spots for us to actually sit together. As a frequent business traveler, I get the abundance of single cubbies throughout, but I do question the proportions.
-no hot food stations yet. Cold food was good to great. When does the full kitchen appear?
-the showers and nap rooms are separated with a glass door and reception desk. Slightly intimidating to scope out, thus I didn't. Probably good for the long term. Those who know and need it the most can ask for it.

Last edited by 1015-1k; Dec 13, 2016 at 11:46 pm
Old Dec 13, 2016, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1015-1k
-a double ID check was slightly offensive. A guy with a British accent stood well outside the entry lounge and wanted to see our boarding passes, followed by the actual boarding pass scan and welcome inside at the desk. Seemed like an odd interim security solution. Though I can imagine it would only get worse. I always feel a personal jab with multiple security checks no matter where, and I sincerely hope united rethinks this. It shows a big sign of distrust towards customers. ....
My guess it is more, people don't know the difference in admittance rules
Trying to weed out those that should be at the UC (since the C UC is presently closed) or just aren't eligible for access. It a problem enough at UCs and given the location, it is a new lounge and the closed UC, it probably a lot worse. And in this case, most passenger likely don't not know the rules -- not a distrust issue, a confusion issue.
Once the false entery attempts decrease than maybe they can return to the single check. But for now it will likely speed up the entry in many cases to get the wrong folks out sooner.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
I'd be surprised if UA doesn't eventually shift the AC shorthaul J passengers to the regular club, *A rules or not.
Are there reports of shorthaul J AC pax actually gaining entry? The staff at the lounge was rejecting such attempts when I was there. This was after the blg post touting that as a strategy for admission.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 10:02 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by 1015-1k
What's the role of the liquor cabinets above? Seriously, are these personal cabinets? There are locks. I don't get it.
Yes they are personal cabinets.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 11:53 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDT1955
Are they still promising hot food by Thursday? My wife and I are flying ORD-FRA-OSL Friday, and with the coming snowstorm, we may be there awhile...
They just got their "Preparation of Food and Dining on Premise With Seating" license on 12/07/2016. (Lic. 2492747-20161207). It was converted from the original GFL food license. So the ball appears to be rolling. ^
Old Dec 14, 2016, 12:04 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

What time does the lounge open?

I have an early ORD-SFO connecting to HKG and would like to visit.

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
What time does the lounge open?

I have an early ORD-SFO connecting to HKG and would like to visit.

Thanks in advance.
Reports were 7:15am.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by villox
Reports were 7:15am.
Correct. Those are the posted hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.