Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

Hour 6:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. daily
A la carte dining, last seating 8 p. m.

United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' qualify for deaparture, connecting and arrival of a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, northern South America, ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.
For partner, Business or International First, access only at departure airport and same destination restrictions as UA (roughly at least 8+ hours long haul international - TATL, TPAC, yes any UA Polaris destination but no trans-border).

No Guests (except 1 guest for International First partner flights)

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges (wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

International T5 ORD partner *G lounges
Print Wikipost

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
I'll be flying through ORD and on to VIE on OS in business next month. Should I expect any pushback for access to the Polaris lounge? Also, how long should I allow for the airside bus to T5 from the Polaris lounge?

Thank you.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:12 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by gusd
I'll be flying through ORD and on to VIE on OS in business next month. Should I expect any pushback for access to the Polaris lounge? Also, how long should I allow for the airside bus to T5 from the Polaris lounge?

Thank you.
You should not get any pushback for access to the Polaris Lounge. I don't really know how long you should allow for the airside bus but you should calculate at least a 15 minutes walk to Terminal 3.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
You should not get any pushback for access to the Polaris Lounge. I don't really know how long you should allow for the airside bus but you should calculate at least a 15 minutes walk to Terminal 3.
Thank you.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Allow 45-60 minutes total for the walk to the airside bus (end of T3), the wait for the airside bus and then the ride on the bus. Make sure to have your passport and boarding pass ready.

IME ORD PL lounge dragons are not familiar with the bus schedule.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by onthesam
Allow 45-60 minutes total for the walk to the airside bus (end of T3), the wait for the airside bus and then the ride on the bus. Make sure to have your passport and boarding pass ready.

IME ORD PL lounge dragons are not familiar with the bus schedule.
Thank you.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LT Platinum
Apparently a new menu is coming out at ORD's polaris lounge as they're trialing a Bourbon Glazed Salmon as well as a separate Zucchini noodles dish. I hope the overhaul includes some decent substantial options. The current menu at ORD seems lackluster relative to what I've had at EWR and for frequent international travelers, it gets old pretty quickly.

They also recently cut the hours in Chicago and the dining room now closes at 7:30pm. While demand may be lower at night, this is awful for late night departures where you're least likely to want to do the on-board meal service if traveling to Europe.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by n8-the-gr8
Apparently a new menu is coming out at ORD's polaris lounge as they're trialing a Bourbon Glazed Salmon as well as a separate Zucchini noodles dish. I hope the overhaul includes some decent substantial options. The current menu at ORD seems lackluster relative to what I've had at EWR and for frequent international travelers, it gets old pretty quickly.

They also recently cut the hours in Chicago and the dining room now closes at 7:30pm. While demand may be lower at night, this is awful for late night departures where you're least likely to want to do the on-board meal service if traveling to Europe.
7:30 kind of defeats the purpose of dining on the ground (i.e. before the late LHR or the DUB flight).

Also sucks for LH travelers and late night east coast connections.
Xyzzy and n8-the-gr8 like this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
Hi folks - could use some advice on if it is worthwhile for me to try and visit the Polaris lounge while I am in Chicago on a long layover.
Wife and I are flying DL (J) LGA to ORD, landing in Terminal 2 at 2pm.
At 920p we fly out of T-3 on NZ 27 (also in J) ORD-AKL; I am assuming the Air New Zealand ticket counter will not open until 520p. Really wanted to use the UA Polaris Lounge but its all starting to seem a bit chaotic.
Planned to check bags but with no interline agreement between DL and NZ, we will have to collect our bags at T-2.
Suggestions appreciated!
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by vivrant
Hi folks - could use some advice on if it is worthwhile for me to try and visit the Polaris lounge while I am in Chicago on a long layover.
At 920p we fly out of T-3 on NZ 27 (also in J) ORD-AKL; I am assuming the Air New Zealand ticket counter will not open until 520p. Really wanted to use the UA Polaris Lounge but its all starting to seem a bit chaotic.
Planned to check bags but with no interline agreement between DL and NZ, we will have to collect our bags at T-2.
Suggestions appreciated!
T1, T2 and T3 are connected airside, however, I think NZ 27 flies out of Terminal 5. (And note the train to T-5 is out of service until late this year. There are buses, but allow extra time.)

After security, there is an airside bus that goes from T3 to T5, last bus at 8:30.

If I am correct about flying out of T-5, you will need to check-in at T-5, then backtrack to the Polaris Lounge (if allowed).

If you can avoid checking bags and do online check-in, life is simplified immensely.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:47 am

Suggestions appreciated!
NZ definitely flies from T5, not T3.

You have two options:

(1) leave security, pick up bags in T2, take landside rail replacement bus to T5, wait for counter to open, check bags, take bus back to T1, clear security at T2 or T1 (doesn't matter), go to Polaris lounge (10 minute walk), enjoy lounge for 1-2 hours, walk all the way to T3 for airside bus (20 minute walk, last bus 20:30) or leave security and take landside buses again to T5 and clear security again there. The only saving grace is only one person has to take the bags to T5, the other could go straight to Polaris lounge after landing.

If you can get DL to check through to AKL (it's worth asking!) the calculus changes, as you can go straight to Polaris airside, and then take airside bus to T5 later, never going through security in ORD.

(2) Go to T5, use the SAS or SWISS lounge (or Air France/KLM if you have Priority Pass).
vivrant likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by threeoh
NZ definitely flies from T5, not T3.

You have two options:

(1) leave security, pick up bags in T2, take landside rail replacement bus to T5, wait for counter to open, check bags, take bus back to T1, clear security at T2 or T1 (doesn't matter), go to Polaris lounge (10 minute walk), enjoy lounge for 1-2 hours, walk all the way to T3 for airside bus (20 minute walk, last bus 20:30) or leave security and take landside buses again to T5 and clear security again there. The only saving grace is only one person has to take the bags to T5, the other could go straight to Polaris lounge after landing.

If you can get DL to check through to AKL (it's worth asking!) the calculus changes, as you can go straight to Polaris airside, and then take airside bus to T5 later, never going through security in ORD.

(2) Go to T5, use the SAS or SWISS lounge (or Air France/KLM if you have Priority Pass).
Many thanks and very helpful. You are right about NZ flying out of T5, not T3, my typo.
The only saving grace is only one person has to take the bags to T5, the other could go straight to Polaris lounge after landing.
Sounds good in theory - but I just can't see us splitting up for several hours. In retrospect, I should have booked us on an airline that would land in T-3 (out of JFK) to avoid all this hassle (if that was even possible). But after reading the ordeal this person went through and still could not make into ORD to catch his NZ flight, I am glad we are erring on the side of being super early.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:13 pm

Many thanks and very helpful. You are right about NZ flying out of T5, not T3, my typo.

Sounds good in theory - but I just can't see us splitting up for several hours. In retrospect, I should have booked us on an airline that would land in T-3 (out of JFK) to avoid all this hassle (if that was even possible). But after reading the ordeal this person went through and still could not make into ORD to catch his NZ flight, I am glad we are erring on the side of being super early.
I have one more creative solution for you. Land in T2, go straight to the Polaris lounge in T1 (you can walk airside). Let your luggage go around the carousel and end up in the DL baggage office.

At 6pm or so, leaving yourself plenty of time, go claim your bags from the baggage office, take landside bus to T5, check them in with NZ, go through security in T5 and use SAS lounge for last hour before your flight.
Xyzzy, vivrant and SteveHK like this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by threeoh
I have one more creative solution for you. Land in T2, go straight to the Polaris lounge in T1 (you can walk airside). Let your luggage go around the carousel and end up in the DL baggage office.

At 6pm or so, leaving yourself plenty of time, go claim your bags from the baggage office, take landside bus to T5, check them in with NZ, go through security in T5 and use SAS lounge for last hour before your flight.
Not so sure I would advocate leaving luggage unattended at baggage claim carousel until someone at DL takes custody of them. Would be too easy to have something go amiss...or a-missing.
vivrant and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure if DL does this, but sometimes when you check your bag very early with UA, they'll put it on an earlier flight and hold it for your arrival.

I think realistically the chance of someone stealing your bag is low, but I agree that I would feel nervous just letting it circulate for several hours.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:19 am

New menu:
oneworld82 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.