Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 14, 19, 9:56 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Access to Polaris lounges (source):


update 29 Sept 2017, effective 1 Oct, 2017

Departure: The airport you are leaving on an international J/F flight* from, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT
Connecting: The airport to or from which you have a short-haul flight to connect to a longer flight, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT or NRT-ORD-EWR
Arrival: The airport you arrive at after your long-haul flight, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT

Hours-0715-2100 (seasonally open at 6:45 beginning in Dec '18)

*Currently it appears that any departing international flight on a *A partner qualifies (except AC operated transborder flights ), but only United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' or 'Polaris First' will qualify for entrance after arriving off a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, .. (wiki)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges (wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Mar 18, 18, 11:55 am
  #766  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SFO
Programs: UAMP Global Services, AA Platinum
Posts: 78
Originally Posted by kluau88 View Post
I have heard that the Polaris lounge in SFO is targeted to open on or around April 30. Employee orientation starts next week.
Wow, if that is true, this will be the first time that UA has exceeded expectations (admittedly now reduced) with respect to Polaris roll out. Will be great to have Polaris open in SF

Having said that, Iím glad UA is taking time to do things right. I was in the ORD lounge last fall at a peak time, and the crowding really was a problem. I was there again last week, and the expanded space has made all the difference. You really get a sense of what the Polaris lounge experience is supposed to be.

And if the finally right ORD lounge is an indicator, that experience should be on par with the best international business lounges, period.
UAL250 likes this.
jcacciotti is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 18, 12:21 pm
  #767  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: In between IAD and DCA
Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 1,939
Originally Posted by kluau88 View Post
I have heard that the Polaris lounge in SFO is targeted to open on or around April 30. Employee orientation starts next week.
Big if true.
UAL250 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 18, 4:54 pm
  #768  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 3,578
Originally Posted by kluau88 View Post
I have heard that the Polaris lounge in SFO is targeted to open on or around April 30. Employee orientation starts next week.
FWIW the entry agent at SFO former IFL said not until August, and 'definitely not April'.
fumje is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 18, 5:12 pm
  #769  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SEA
Programs: UA AS DL SPG Hyatt HHonors
Posts: 1,546
Originally Posted by tryathlete View Post
OKó hereís my gripe. I pay $400 extra for a W fare so I can waitlist for Polaris business first using a GPU. Iím in Chicago where there happens to be the nearly one and only Polaris lounge. My upgrade is battlefield and finally it clears or it doesnít but because it doesnít clear at the window, I donít get to use the lounge.

To me, I either way, UA is keeping some of the value. Why not give access to anyone who is eligible for the UG?
While it would be lovely if UA could give this access, or know who could theoretically get the upgrade and give them access, I can answer your question for why not give access to anyone who is eligible for the upgrade: The Polaris lounges are already more crowded that UA expected, enough so that I think a reason for the delay in opening the additional lounges is due increasing their size from initial plans. Often there are 20 or more pax on the UG list. It would crush the Polaris lounges to add all these passengers to the Polaris lounge. UA may also feel, rightly so, that if you want the full Polaris experience, pay for it. Or travel on off-peak days when upgrades can confirm in advance.

I do not see this policy changing.
onthesam and kirkwoodj like this.
seacarl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 18, 11:22 pm
  #770  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Programs: Mileage Plus 1K 2MM
Posts: 511
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
FWIW the entry agent at SFO former IFL said not until August, and 'definitely not April'.
I was going to post "April 30 2019" but didn't want to be snarky. I've heard the same August target from various people.
bluedemon211 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 18, 12:07 pm
  #771  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Programs: Continental OnePass
Posts: 664
If I was to fly SIN-SFO-ORD-OMA all in J, would I have access to the Polaris lounge in ORD (or only in SFO, assuming it's open by then)?
swiftaw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 18, 12:37 pm
  #772  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 3,578
Originally Posted by swiftaw View Post
If I was to fly SIN-SFO-ORD-OMA all in J, would I have access to the Polaris lounge in ORD (or only in SFO, assuming it's open by then)?
Yes. You can access the lounge at any airport it's open within 24hrs of any flight on your itinerary that includes a Polaris segment.
fumje is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 18, 6:06 pm
  #773  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Gold 1.8MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 44,509
Originally Posted by swiftaw View Post
If I was to fly SIN-SFO-ORD-OMA all in J, would I have access to the Polaris lounge in ORD (or only in SFO, assuming it's open by then)?
Yes, if the SIN-SFO is operated by UA and no stopover in SFO (just connecting)
WineCountryUA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 18, 8:16 pm
  #774  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Programs: Continental OnePass
Posts: 664
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Yes, if the SIN-SFO is operated by UA and no stopover in SFO (just connecting)
Yes, while journey on UA, just a shortish connection in SFO.
swiftaw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 18, 11:54 am
  #775  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 2,900
A month ago, my wife and I arrived at the ORD Polaris Lounge at about 8:45 AM for a flight to Asia. We found a good location with two seats together. As I usually do, I went to the buffet area to get some smoked salmon, potatoes and croissants. Then, I went to the bar to ask for two glasses of Veuve Clicquot. A few minutes later, a couple arrives and the wife decides that they should sit near us in two opposing cubicles so they can see and talk to each other. Once seated, the wife starts making the international gesture for drinking. Husband ignores her, so she does more frantic gestures. Then, she points repeatedly to her watch. Husband ignores her, so she points more frantically to her watch. Then, she thought her husband was not paying enough attention to her so she loudly said: "It's only 9 AM!". Husband wasn't looking too happy, so maybe he wished he could also get a glass of Veuve Clicquot or a beer like other passengers. Then, for the next hour, the wife was talking loudly to her husband. I don't know but, if you want to chat, it's better to get seats together. And there were plenty of those available at that time.
StuckinITH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 18, 12:29 pm
  #776  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Washington DC
Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
Posts: 447
Originally Posted by hdfdisk View Post

Hmm, the weird rumor I heard it is gonna open end of the month.

I tell you, the world keeps underestimating UA. You will be surprised multiple times this year.
amtrakusa is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 18, 1:18 pm
  #777  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SFO/HKG/SIN - United 1K MM / SPG Lifetime Platinum
Posts: 5,027
Originally Posted by hdfdisk View Post

Hmm, the weird rumor I heard it is gonna open end of the month.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29538735-post765.html
kluau88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 18, 5:37 pm
  #778  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Posts: 2,816
Originally Posted by StuckinITH View Post
A month ago, my wife and I arrived at the ORD Polaris Lounge at about 8:45 AM for a flight to Asia. We found a good location with two seats together. As I usually do, I went to the buffet area to get some smoked salmon, potatoes and croissants. Then, I went to the bar to ask for two glasses of Veuve Clicquot. A few minutes later, a couple arrives and the wife decides that they should sit near us in two opposing cubicles so they can see and talk to each other. Once seated, the wife starts making the international gesture for drinking. Husband ignores her, so she does more frantic gestures. Then, she points repeatedly to her watch. Husband ignores her, so she points more frantically to her watch. Then, she thought her husband was not paying enough attention to her so she loudly said: "It's only 9 AM!". Husband wasn't looking too happy, so maybe he wished he could also get a glass of Veuve Clicquot or a beer like other passengers. Then, for the next hour, the wife was talking loudly to her husband. I don't know but, if you want to chat, it's better to get seats together. And there were plenty of those available at that time.
Getting off topic, but years ago my wife and I walked into the Old Town Bar (on East 18th Street, NYC) around 2PM to get something to eat, and sat down at the bar among a pretty solid crowd. I think she was trying to be quiet, but it came out very loud: "WHO DRINKS AT TWO IN THE AFTERNOON!?!?!?" She got some looks! We still laugh about it to this day.
physioprof is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 18, 6:33 pm
  #779  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 2,900
Originally Posted by physioprof View Post
Getting off topic, but years ago my wife and I walked into the Old Town Bar (on East 18th Street, NYC) around 2PM to get something to eat, and sat down at the bar among a pretty solid crowd. I think she was trying to be quiet, but it came out very loud: "WHO DRINKS AT TWO IN THE AFTERNOON!?!?!?" She got some looks! We still laugh about it to this day.
Good that I was not drinking red wine while reading this. I laughed so much that I would have sprayed the hotel room carpet. Then, I would have had to send you the cleaning bill the hotel sent me.

It's 5:00 PM somewhere in the world, especially if you are in an airport. But, both my wife and I are from Europe, so it can be lunchtime somewhere in the world..
physioprof likes this.
StuckinITH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 18, 10:43 am
  #780  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: ORD
Programs: 1K
Posts: 80
Sitting in Polaris Lounge now. I'd say about 60% full, plenty of seats available. Ordered a cocktail and a cappuccino, bartender grunted, chucked the saucer at me and then made the two drinks. An employee came up and ordered their Tangerine & Tonic cocktail from the menu for someone sitting, bartender rolled his eyes and loudly said "Really? At 10:00 in the morning?!", it was 10:30. Few of us at the bar looked at each other in disbelief. He's been swapped out now, much friendlier person. I've been to this lounge about 7 times and haven't ever had anything negative to say. Just odd behavior. Otherwise, everything else is good!
SkiPremier is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: