Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

Hour 6:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. daily
A la carte dining, last seating 8 p. m.

United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' qualify for deaparture, connecting and arrival of a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, northern South America, ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.
For partner, Business or International First, access only at departure airport and same destination restrictions as UA (roughly at least 8+ hours long haul international - TATL, TPAC, yes any UA Polaris destination but no trans-border).

No Guests (except 1 guest for International First partner flights)

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges (wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

International T5 ORD partner *G lounges
Print Wikipost

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by seacarl
In fairness, there were too many pillows and no place to store them.
Only cause the 8 across ........ is HORRIBLE, you don't have room to store your Phone!!!!
I have not had any problem getting a gel pillow but I ask for them right at the start of the flight. I've also not had any problem getting the mattress pad, but not sure it is worth the bother
I ask during boarding as well, but has been hit or miss lately. Although my last 6 flights have NOT been United and I am much happier
I think it is ridiculous that a year in they are using cardboard for the sundaes. How hard can it have been to have found some kind of non-descript china replacement? Or to use the old sundae dishes. I suspect that there is something about storage involved. I do wish that the salads were a little bigger and that they went back to offering choices of breads.
Yeah, sad doesn't even really explain how bad this reeks of ineptitude
As to the pace of aircraft conversions, having recently flown C in a 3-class 772 after 3 flights in a 77W, I do have to agree that I wish they'd convert the aircraft faster. C in the 3-class 772 is pretty horrible in comparison. My understanding, however, was that UA wanted to gain some practical experience with the seats to see if anything needed to be tweaked either for maintenance or customer feedback before doing the fleet upgrades. For all I know there could be some kind of accounting issue as well (if previous seats aren't amortized.) What I find perplexing, however, is that they haven't been aggressive about putting the new seat into new deliveries of the 788 and 789, and have continued taking deliveries with the old seat.
It has been widely reported that the manufacturer of the seats had a hard time delivering, that is the cause of the delay, not some scheme to make it seem like UA was evaluating a thing.
8 across is horrible, I will fly ANYTHING to avoid that horrible plane, unless I have to buy full fare and GPU to F, however with my schedule, I try and find the lowest flight which means that rarely happens.
Taking 789 deliveries witht he old seat is the only part I get as contract changes get horribly expensive
As to the pace of lounges, I think UA quickly realized with the experience in Chicago that the planned lounge sizes were not large enough and went back to redesign the other lounges to increase capacity so that there would not be overcrowding issues on day 1. If that is the reason for slow pace, I agree with that decision.
13 MONTHS - nope, not buying it
I would suggest they knew within 6 weeks they were screwed in Chicago, in 3 months they should have had a FIRM plan. They seemed to take more than double that time.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
As to the pace of lounges, I think UA quickly realized with the experience in Chicago that the planned lounge sizes were not large enough and went back to redesign the other lounges to increase capacity so that there would not be overcrowding issues on day 1. If that is the reason for slow pace, I agree with that decision.
It all goes back to providing what is advertised. So many people flying business for so many international trips since Polaris was announced, including me. What they are providing is such a small piece of it that I think they should just give it up. I don't think I should have to ask for so many pieces of it on the plane. My last couple of TATL trips had a snack cart that made Skywest look generous with their snacks. I'm flying to Auckland on Friday night on the Polaris seating for the first time. Of course, it's out of SFO that doesn't have an actual Polaris lounge.

Getting the full advertised Polaris experience over a year after it started service takes way too much juggling from what I can tell. Since I doubt I will ever hit 2MM, I'm not trying. I'll be 1K for 2018 and if United is the best offer, I may fly it for international trips but I won't be striving to stay on it.

P.S. I hate the unisex bathrooms in the Polaris lounge - some man must have thought that up.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
Getting the full advertised Polaris experience over a year after it started service takes way too much juggling from what I can tell.
Since there are no Polaris seat fitted aircraft flying out of ORD (to my knowledge), it is actually impossible to receive the fully advertised Polaris experience today. No amount of juggling can make that happen.

I have never been able to do more than a cursory pass through the ORD Polaris lounge since it opened since it’s always so absurdly overcrowded, but I would share your dislike for the unisex bathrooms if that is what’s there. It’s been an utterly stunning downgrade as a GS flying Int’l via ORD lately. From the GFL to (in my case one time literally) sitting on the terminal floor with a McDonalds bag.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
It's ridiculous that they don't have the NY Times
We don't get to fly Polaris very often but the attendant and her supervisor already know (recognize us) that we are the ones that request the NY Times. Last time they said that they will mention to higher management that they have some passengers who think that the NY Times is a must.

In fairness, there were too many pillows and no place to store them.
I have not had any problem getting a gel pillow but I ask for them right at the start of the flight. I've also not had any problem getting the mattress pad, but not sure it is worth the bother
Now I also ask for the gel pillow at the start of the flight but one time when I did not do that they were out of it and as a compensation the FA gave me an extra pair of Pajamas. I liked when they had the two pillows. Now the only chance for me to sleep well is if I have no neighbor and can take the big pillow from that seat. I use the Saks cover as a mattress pad. It's very comfortable. If I use it as a cover it's way too warm.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 27, 2017 at 3:55 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 27, 2017, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
P.S. I hate the unisex bathrooms in the Polaris lounge - some man must have thought that up.
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
I have never been able to do more than a cursory pass through the ORD Polaris lounge since it opened since it’s always so absurdly overcrowded, but I would share your dislike for the unisex bathrooms if that is what’s there. It’s been an utterly stunning downgrade as a GS flying Int’l via ORD lately. From the GFL to (in my case one time literally) sitting on the terminal floor with a McDonalds bag.
Curious. What is the downside to the restroom setup in the Polaris lounge? Is it a capacity thing? I did have to wait a bit one time as all the rooms were taken, but I thought it was a pretty nice, private setup. What am I missing?
Old Dec 27, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Curious. What is the downside to the restroom setup in the Polaris lounge? Is it a capacity thing? I did have to wait a bit one time as all the rooms were taken, but I thought it was a pretty nice, private setup. What am I missing?
I don't think you are missing anything. The private set up is great. In addition, they are way cleaner than the "unisex" toilets in the planes.

The only thing I noticed is that some people still don't know how to lock them properly. Although the new white capital letters say: "To lock, turn to here", on my last visit, I noticed two persons did not lock them properly and got an unexpected visitor.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
As mentioned, I haven’t been able to actually get to use the Polaris lounge for anything other than a walk through to see every seat taken. But my general dislike of unisex bathrooms is that men tend to “splash” around the rim of the bowl when using them. Airplane toilets are just a “no other options” situation. Unless in the LH A380 F lavs with a urinal .
FlyfromDenver likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 2:52 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds

Since there are no Polaris seat fitted aircraft flying out of ORD (to my knowledge), it is actually impossible to receive the fully advertised Polaris experience today. No amount of juggling can make that happen.
fly to hkg via sfo with a 35 minute connection...then you can have a truly polaris experience LOL
Old Dec 27, 2017, 6:29 pm

In contrast on EVA last month. I was shown my seat by a FA and introduced to another FA by name, she welcomed me and asked if I wanted a mattress pad, which she installed right then
I was brought PJ's, amenity kit and headphones

Literally brought everything to me, I didn't need to ask for anything, and installed the things that most passengers would fumble with

They only provided one pillow, but it was a memory foam type (I THINK), I slept well either way either way
I was ALWAYS greeted by name
Service was impeccable (I agree this could be one time) but the trip home was much the same
Old Dec 27, 2017, 7:50 pm

How would someone who knows nothing about Polaris find out about all the amenities you have to ask for? Seems pointless to show advertisements with a mattress pad, pajamas and special pillow and then not just give to every passenger...
Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by JFKflyer26
How would someone who knows nothing about Polaris find out about all the amenities you have to ask for? Seems pointless to show advertisements with a mattress pad, pajamas and special pillow and then not just give to every passenger...

Pajamas, you need to know the block time of each one way flight, then do math....You could expect the FA's to know but actual analysis has proven that theory doesn't work at all
The rest are listed in the amenities on the website and was in all the marketing materials
Everything BUT PJ's, Mattress pad and Gel pillow are on your seat when you board (I am about 50/50 for amenity kit, but if it isn't there, they typically hand them out before takeoff)

I try and educate my fellow flyers (Much to the chagrin of some FA's) about the included amenities. On a flight from HKG-ORD (8 across hell) we were delayed 90 minutes after the door shut. Captain said we could get up. FA's started pouring wine and I changed into PJ's. Within 30 min the entire cabin knew about PJ's and Gel pillow. FA's handed them out to everyone and even took group pictures of us all hammered sitting across each others laps in United PJ's laying on Gel Pillows. In all fairness it was really about 6 of us or so "Loud" ones. That day the whole business class knew all about the amenities that united was offering.

This thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...unges-240.html has a wiki that explain it all and has a breakdown of every flight PJ's are offered
Old Dec 28, 2017, 12:36 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by JFKflyer26
They include a description of the amenities available in the menu they hand out at the beginning of the flight.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA GS
No dining service tonight at ORd Polaris lounge. Let the cost cutting continue.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
WHAT?!
villox likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 1:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
How about some context for this? Kitchen out of order? Staff called in sick? Actual announcement upon check-in that "due to budget cutbacks we not longer serve food"?
fightingsioux09 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.