Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by YVR guy
I echo these same comments. On my flight a few days ago SIN-SFO there were 2 bottles of champagne on the entire flight! For a flagship route, how can UA claim to be a world class airline with this level of inventory? Also no sparkling wine was offered as pre-departure drink (no great loss since it is plonk anyways).
When somebody asked, they poured a mini bottle from economy class.

Since UA is now round-trip catering alcohol from the US, they should lock down half of the inventory to be reserved for the return flight. Or better still, go back to the original method of fully restocking in the outport city. This cost saving is sabotage to the Polaris product.
Absolutely agree they dont open up the food carts when marked for downroute segment usage; should be same for the alcohol. This isnt a one time issue, its recurring, and the FAs notice it.

The problem is even more ludicrous domestically in Y they are going to start affecting revenue by inadequately provisioning for-sale food and beverage items. In any business you need products on the shelves to drive the numbers. They are no doubt rewarding themselves for cutting back the Catering expense line item, unaware of its impact on revenue.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by greenpau
They are no doubt rewarding themselves for cutting back the Catering expense line item, unaware of its impact on revenue.
THAT is so smisekesque!
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AC 50K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Starving in Polaris class

Originally Posted by wxguy
Tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich, or a fried rice dish were available on SFO-HKG and HKG-ORD last week.
I recently flew SFO-SIN in Polaris class. This was UA29 departing late morning. Yes we had a full mediocre lunch, but no meal after that until just prior to landing. On a 17+ hour flight, that means we totally skipped our dinner meal. Instead I ordered off the "a la carte" menu to receive half a grilled cheese sandwich and a quarter cup of soup. REALLY? For a flagship route you can't cater a 3rd hot meal?? Other airlines do... why not UA? Instead I had to scrounge food from the snack cart to make up for the missing dinner. I'm not a huge eater, but seriously... for the price of a revenue ticket... this long flight should include 3 hot meals. Stop roundtrip catering your liquor to save money... instead feed your best customers like any decent airline should.
roberto99, willryu and BlueSky72 like this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by YVR guy
I echo these same comments. On my flight a few days ago SIN-SFO there were 2 bottles of champagne on the entire flight! For a flagship route, how can UA claim to be a world class airline with this level of inventory? Also no sparkling wine was offered as pre-departure drink (no great loss since it is plonk anyways).
When somebody asked, they poured a mini bottle from economy class.

Since UA is now round-trip catering alcohol from the US, they should lock down half of the inventory to be reserved for the return flight. Or better still, go back to the original method of fully restocking in the outport city. This cost saving is sabotage to the Polaris product.
This has been a problem for years, which obviously UA has no interest in addressing. So on this 14 1/2 hour return flight, for which UA charges over $7K for (lowest business return), there were 2 bottles of champagne for 48 Polaris pax! It's not as if they are offering Krug or Dom Perignon!
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by iflyabunch
Thanks for reminding me.... I had completely forgotten about the PDB "glass" and truffle
I think I still have stain from when my seatmate placed his 'glass' back on the center console -- sans its bttom... Ah, memories...
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
29Dec UA896 HKG-ORD, pmUA 772 (50J with PE): Ended up at T-1 with 17 rev pax booked in J. All 16 NRSAs on the W/L cleared at the gate. Add in the reserved pilot rest seat (1A), and there were 16 empty J seats.

The service was outstanding! After boarding was complete the purser offered me a second white pillow (no, I'm not Mr. Pillows ) Service was very attentive, and they even offered leftover sundaes midflight. To top it off, Channel 9 was on gate-to-gate.

I peeked back in PE, and all but two seats were empty!
tstauck likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: UAL 1k, AA Gold, Delta Silver
Thats pathetic. One bottle of white for 50 passengers? Ill stick with my trusty G&Ts.
restlessinRNO and perkele like this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BlueSky72
Thats pathetic. One bottle of white for 50 passengers? Ill stick with my trusty G&Ts.
Nothing is sacred, it seems ... it was domestic, but my KOA-SFO was out of Sapphire, too!
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by greenpau

nothing is sacred, it seems ... It was domestic, but my koa-sfo was out of sapphire, too!
noooooooooooo!!!!!!!
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:05 pm

UA906 yesterday was wonderful - great team, relaxing flight, and food was passable too. Just wanted to put some positivity out there and hope you all have good flights in 2019!
elitefreak and BlueSky72 like this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Plat AMB, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club; Caesars Diamond Plus
Had a wonderful flight LHR-IAH on Tuesday this week. Service was attentive and prompt, and the food was very decent. The cottage pie (pre-arrival snack) was great, IMO, and I never had to beg/go looking for wine or anything else I wanted. Also, there were a lot of empty seats up front (maybe that's part of the reason the service was so good). There was exactly one standby upgrade, which was a flight attendant who had worked my outbound flight several days before. She was not in uniform for this one.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Yeah I had good flights between SFO and AKL, good service.

it was an award so I’m not sure it’s worth what they price it at most of the time but great way to get to NZ.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:54 pm

Programs: CO
Had an excellent crew LAX-SYD Tuesday night. Extremely friendly and helpful throughout. Food was decent.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:38 am

Programs: UA 1K
SFO-SIN departing 01/23. Excellent flight save the awful beef short rib. Very attentive & enthusiastic crew. There were no L/XL PJs. I was told they're out system wide. It's not really a big deal, but I wish I'd know as I'd have brought my own.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: UAL 1k, AA Gold, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by physioprof
noooooooooooo!!!!!!!
Actually it does seem to be a feast or famine thing. Yesterday on both UA legs coming back from Asia, the drinks were heavy on Gin and light on tonic... was tempted to ask the crew not to pour the entire bottle in at one time, but counted my blessings instead 😃
DCFlyIAD likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.