Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
UA Polaris Business is not BA First Class where they do make your bed.
Hence why I said "the part I didn't like". There are a lot of products out there beyond BA F where your bed gets made for you, it's something relatively simple United could do to compete a little more.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CMK10
Hence why I said "the part I didn't like". There are a lot of products out there beyond BA F where your bed gets made for you, it's something relatively simple United could do to compete a little more.
Somehow I doubt that any of the 3 big US companies make the beds in Business. It's not in the culture of the US.
Kacee likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Performing customer service is really hard when staffing levels --by design-- are insufficient. That being said, if UA hired FAs that came from a service culture, the work would get done.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: United 1K, 2MM, Marriott LT Platinum
Was on one of the first "true Polaris" flights from EWR-BOM earlier this week.

Overall, it was very good. Once I figured out all the seat adjustments I was able to get quite comfortable. (I still don't know what some of the switches do - what does the red half "moon" mean?) And the legroom and seat/bed width was one of the best I've had. The side cupboard and the lighting was excellent and user friendly. I asked for, received and wore the pajamas, which were comfortable. I had a terrific night's sleep after not being able to find any movies I wanted to watch; I guess I've flown too often recently to have any new movies on tap. Hopefully something changes for my return next month.

The not so good. They mixed up my food order and the FA wasn't one of the best. I don't think she smiled once during the entire flight and she complained that this plane had an extra 100 people on board after I said how much I liked the seats. Really, is that true? I asked mid-flight for a grilled cheese and soup and it was ok. I've had better, as in better toasted, warmer, on different flights but this was still edible. And the flight was on time.

Overall, I was happy with the Polaris product - especially so after an awesome experience in the Polaris lounge at EWR about which I wrote separately. Cheers all
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by princetonflyer
Overall, it was very good. Once I figured out all the seat adjustments I was able to get quite comfortable. (I still don't know what some of the switches do - what does the red half "moon" mean?)
That button activates the do not disturb sign. If it's red then the do not disturb sign is activated on side of your seat and you won't be woken up for breakfast. Pic from the internet:
princetonflyer likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by princetonflyer
(I still don't know what some of the switches do - what does the red half "moon" mean?)
she complained that this plane had an extra 100 people on board after I said how much I liked the seats. Really, is that true?
Thr half moon switches on the illuminated “DO NOT DISTURB” sign on the outside of the suite.

True, there are about 100 more passengers on board versus the two class 777-200 they are used to flying. By and large, FAs find this a very difficult aircraft to work in general, but especially in Y.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The only part I didn't like was when I asked for a mattress pad and a flight attendant handed it to me without a word. So I just made up my own bed.
At least UA offers a mattress pad.

In addition to UA, I've flown long-haul J this year on CX, BR, CI, NH, and LX. No one made up my bed on any of those carriers. Apart from UA, NH is the only one of them which even offers a mattress pad.

They did make up my bed on KE F. But that's F.
StuckinITH likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
My first Polaris experiences

UA 888 PEK-SFO 777-300

Lounge: The SFO Polaris Lounge is incredible. One of the best lounges I've been to anywhere in the world. The hard product, the bartenders, the liquor selection, I didn't eat though the food looked pretty good. I wished I'd had more time.

Seat: I had 5A which is flush against the window and it was a really good seat. Comfortable seating upright, lounging and one of the best flat beds I've slept in. I'm tall and bulky so this was really appreciated.

Entertainment: Meh. Not United's strong suit. Not enough movies and shows honestly and there's no music either. Channel 9 was on though which was nice. The Wifi is of course terrible. It was incredibly slow for the first few hours of the flight then didn't work at all for at least the last four and a half hours

Service: Overall very good. Excellent f/a on my side of the aisle who complimented me for dressing up and did his best with the fact that he has to handle a 50 seat cabin with just one other person. The only part I didn't like was when I asked for a mattress pad and a flight attendant handed it to me without a word. So I just made up my own bed.

Food: The worst part of the flight. My entree (Three Cup Chicken) was awful. Tasted worse than frozen food microwave Chinese food. The appetizer was also uninspired and when you're serving everyone plastic trays it looks a little chintzy. I do like that PDBs are served in real glasses though..
The PDB's are in a nice solid crystally looking plastic, not glass. But much better than in the past, agreed.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:37 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by Kacee
At least UA offers a mattress pad.

In addition to UA, I've flown long-haul J this year on CX, BR, CI, NH, and LX. No one made up my bed on any of those carriers. Apart from UA, NH is the only one of them which even offers a mattress pad.

They did make up my bed on KE F. But that's F.
LH has a (nice) mattress pad in F (and they’ll politely but firmly insist on making up the bed).

i have sometimes had the UA FAs offer, too, either when they brought it or if they caught me standing up unwrapping the bedding. (But yeah, not consistently). I am not sure it’s different on NH; maybe a little more likely on NH they’ll offer if they catch you fussing with it?
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by polarbears
i have sometimes had the UA FAs offer, too, either when they brought it or if they caught me standing up unwrapping the bedding. (But yeah, not consistently).
I've had it offered on UA as well on a one-off basis.

I don't expect the UA FAs to make my bed, that is just not part of standard J service on most airlines. I'm just glad UA offers the mattress pad.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Since I can't double-post, here is my post with seat, pod, cabin photos from my recent UA SFO-AKL flights UA 917 and 916. Meal and other photos will follow later.

United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service.....

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30401223-post4332.html
Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Flew Flight 762 on Nov. 17 from Dulles to IAH on a non-Polaris seat 763, and to my surprise found all the Polaris bedding, pillows (including gel), and amenity kits at every First Class seat. Assume this is an uncommon occurrence for a domestic flight? I haven't experienced it before on a non-international flight.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by COA777
Flew Flight 762 on Nov. 17 from Dulles to IAH on a non-Polaris seat 763, and to my surprise found all the Polaris bedding, pillows (including gel), and amenity kits at every First Class seat. Assume this is an uncommon occurrence for a domestic flight?
It's not uncommon when they use an international aircraft on a domestic route. Varies by flight and station. Definitely a welcome treat.
COA777 likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by COA777
Flew Flight 762 on Nov. 17 from Dulles to IAH on a non-Polaris seat 763, and to my surprise found all the Polaris bedding, pillows (including gel), and amenity kits at every First Class seat. Assume this is an uncommon occurrence for a domestic flight? I haven't experienced it before on a non-international flight.
Think they do it on all widebody domestic. Have had it on 767 and 777 EWR-IAH and ORD-SFO
Old Nov 23, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by anandrag

Think they do it on all widebody domestic. Have had it on 767 and 777 EWR-IAH and ORD-SFO
Maybe on some but definitely not all. Was on a sCO 777 from EWR-IAH last month and it was standard domestic F amenities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.