Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
As stated by others, the gel pillow should already be on your seat and you just ask for the PJs. They are quite comfortable and I'm glad to have been able to try them. Wish I'd had them on my flight back from NRT last year.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:14 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
As stated by others, the gel pillow should already be on your seat and you just ask for the PJs. They are quite comfortable and I'm glad to have been able to try them. Wish I'd had them on my flight back from NRT last year.
I don't like the gel pillow at all, so I give it back when I ask for the mattress pad (and PJs on those flights). The FA's have been slightly surprised but are happy to take it to give it to someone else (which I don't understand because each seat already had one, but ...).
Old Oct 11, 2018, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by polarbears
I don't like the gel pillow at all, so I give it back when I ask for the mattress pad (and PJs on those flights). The FA's have been slightly surprised but are happy to take it to give it to someone else (which I don't understand because each seat already had one, but ...).
That 'someone else' might be a crew member!

Also, don't like the gel pillow?!
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I don't like the gel pillow at all
Not a big fan either. I use it as an armrest.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1k MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
Not a big fan either. I use it as an armrest.

Agree, tried it once and found it had a 'stale sweat' odor to it.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Thanks all for the insight!

Will look for the pillow but sounds like I should bring my travel pillow anyway in case I get a "stale sweat" gel-pillow
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I’ll take your gel pillows. Love them especially as a back support
sapguy, qfrodo and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Looks like the same content according to UA:

same old same old
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by physioprof
Nice socks!
Exact same thing I thought...!
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA ExP
GRU-ORD Polaris in the GF

Got to travel from Sau Paulo to Chicago in the global first. The food was mediocre at best. The olive oil in the salad dressing was still frozen, the Brazilian whitefish stew was inedible and the bitter raw garlic overpowered the taste of garlic bread. No hot bites loaded on the flight since its a night service, according to the flight attendent serving GF.
On the plus side, nice to see the wine selection change after three months. Wish the entertainment selection would also have changed by now.
The Polaris lounge in Chicago has been serving the same food since its opening in December 2016...yes almost two years old and still serving the teriyaki salmon, shephard's pie and Chicken pot pie in the buffet, every day!! Same menu at the dine-in restaurant since its opening.

Sorry for the rant!

Last edited by akhibhag; Oct 12, 2018 at 2:55 pm Reason: spelling
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by akhibhag
Got to travel from Sau Paulo to Chicago in the global first. The food was mediocre at best. The olive oil in the salad dressing was still frozen, the Brazilian whitefish stew was inedible and the bitter raw garlic overpowered the taste of garlic bread. No hot bites loaded on the flight since its a night service, according to the flight attendent serving GF.
On the plus side, nice to see the wine selection change after three months. Wish the entertainment selection would also have changed by now.
The Polaris lounge in Chicago has been serving the same food since its opening in December 2016...yes almost two years old and still serving the teriyaki salmon, shephard's pie and Chicken pot pie in the buffet, every day!! Same menu at the dine-in restaurant since its opening.

Sorry for the rant!
I thought GF was discontinued?
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA ExP
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I thought GF was discontinued?
Yes it is discontinued on most routes including the one I flew...but the aircrsft is not confirgured yet, so I was in the global first seat with polaris service
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:39 pm

UA890 Redeye PVG-SFO Row 6

Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by fumje
Also, don't like the gel pillow?!
I don't know, maybe I am using it wrong?! :-)

I tried it once back when you had to ask for it and then again after they put it standard on the seats. For me it smells funny ("new plastic" smell, not human odors -- yuck) and more importantly is just too thick and bulky. So since then I just put it in the overhead or give it back to the FAs.

For me the standard pillow is just right on top of the headrest. I wear big headphones (Bose 35 for the awesome noise cancelling) while I sleep am tallish (6'2") so my head has to be on the headrest to fit and with the gel pillow it's just way too tall (and the regular pillow is just right).

My best airplane sleep is on the United 787 bulkhead seats. A lot of that, I am sure, is familiarity with the seat and procedures (service).
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know, maybe I am using it wrong?! :-)

I tried it once back when you had to ask for it and then again after they put it standard on the seats. For me it smells funny ("new plastic" smell, not human odors -- yuck) and more importantly is just too thick and bulky. So since then I just put it in the overhead or give it back to the FAs.

For me the standard pillow is just right on top of the headrest. I wear big headphones (Bose 35 for the awesome noise cancelling) while I sleep am tallish (6'2") so my head has to be on the headrest to fit and with the gel pillow it's just way too tall (and the regular pillow is just right).

My best airplane sleep is on the United 787 bulkhead seats. A lot of that, I am sure, is familiarity with the seat and procedures (service).
Somehow I find the regular pillow too bulky, whereas the gel pillow is the perfect support for my head and neck. It seems hefty, but it compresses when I lay on it, even placed on the headrest, so that it doesn't actually elevate my head much, which I don't like. Perhaps I just have a fat head.
Xyzzy likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.