Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2018, 5:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Well I booked it, through FRA outbound, MUC inbound.

Hoping the SFO-FRA is Polaris cabin, UA58. It was last April but when I booked today, it's showing 2/4/2 layout.

Now I wonder if MUC-SFO on the 787 could be retrofitted by July.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: None anymore
If the 772 retrofit is an indication I would say the 787 will also be a long rollout...
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by warrenw
If the 772 retrofit is an indication I would say the 787 will also be a long rollout...
To be fair, 772 retrofit did require re-installing all Y seats from 3-3-3 to 3-4-3 and also some lav rework/updating.

I would expect the 787 retrofit to be quicker with just re-installing J seats and adding PE.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 11:21 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by hirohito888
To be fair, 772 retrofit did require re-installing all Y seats from 3-3-3 to 3-4-3 and also some lav rework/updating.

I would expect the 787 retrofit to be quicker with just re-installing J seats and adding PE.
This is true, it might also speed up a bit once they get the hang of things. The 772's are definitely a very extensive retrofit in comparison.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by goodeats21
MUC is a much better airport to connect through over FRA. Much, much better. Easier. Faster. Less stress.
All depends on what airline you are flying and what class of service.
Spanish likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have never really been that crazy about UA's service. The pattern I observed that that the quality of service degrades with the load factor. On Thursday, I was on a full 77W Polaris flight. The service was great!

I had to do a mileage run 2 weeks prior. Avoided UA and did NH. I think hardware-wise, Polaris is better than the NH 77W. When UA's service is good, it is not worse than NH. Food-wise, NH is still better. I think if UA somehow makes the appetizer and salad better, then it would be more competitive.

Last edited by username; Sep 21, 2018 at 11:18 pm
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:24 pm
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
On the EWR-KEF, was told no mattress pad in Plolaris because it’s not “ultra long haul”, we did still get access to the Polaris lounge even though I believe the flight lands on the “north American” continental plate...
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Flew IAH-SYD Thursday night and it was a pleasant flight. No mattress pad but I didn't need or want one. The PJs were sitting on the console in from of Row 6 center aisle, every seat seemed to have a gel pillow which was as good as claimed. I liked the PJs but the lavatory on the left side is equipped for handicapped so has more room to change than the one on the right.

I took seat 6K based on recommendations in the 787-9 thread but the light from the FA closet was a bit distracting.

No complaints at all about the service. All the FAs were attentive, polite, and professional.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, I was surprised that on my flight on Thursday, still got the tin as the amenity kit. Not even a 747 tin - just a regular one. I would have thought they reversed to the regular bag by now?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:11 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by username
Oh, I was surprised that on my flight on Thursday, still got the tin as the amenity kit. Not even a 747 tin - just a regular one. I would have thought they reversed to the regular bag by now?
Since March I took 6 flights in Polaris Business. I got only one soft bag. The five others were the new tins. In January, I still got the 747 tin which was good as I finally got the First Class one.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought the tin was the new normal. I would prefer the soft bag, though.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by fumje
I thought the tin was the new normal. I would prefer the soft bag, though.
The tins have even gotten less fun in just having a regular lid and much more easily dented. We’d bring them home when they weren’t too used up and/or smashed. We took embarrassingly many out of the closet some weeks ago and my spouse noticed that the “new normal” tins have had at least two iterations (not counting any content changes).

The LH (and BR?) Rimowa boxes were the nicest / best reuse we had. United tins least. Some of the old Global First pouches were really nice. A recent LH F bag was huge and weird in opening in both ends.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by polarbears

The tins have even gotten less fun in just having a regular lid and much more easily dented. We’d bring them home when they weren’t too used up and/or smashed. We took embarrassingly many out of the closet some weeks ago and my spouse noticed that the “new normal” tins have had at least two iterations (not counting any content changes).

The LH (and BR?) Rimowa boxes were the nicest / best reuse we had. United tins least. Some of the old Global First pouches were really nice. A recent LH F bag was huge and weird in opening in both ends.

Agree, some of the old pouches were much nicer, and I still use a few varieties now for various things. Over time, it just seems the quality of the design is always going down. Compared to the tins, I would even prefer the silly zip-up book-shaped thing they used when Polaris was introduced. (I think that was the time?)

edit: I do have one pre-merger amenity container that is basically just a cloth sack, which I will say seems pretty useless. But even that I'd rather receive than the tin.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: UA MP
Nope, seems like the tins will now be the permanent amenity kit in J. Kinda sad that the kits have become less premium throughout the years...
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:45 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
I really don't care for the tins:

(a) Take up too much space if I try to put it in my carry-on bag (which is usually just a computer bag)

(b) Don't really have a re-purpose use for the tins off the plane. I use the various pouches to carry computer/phone cords & accessories in my computer bag and at home.
HeadInTheClouds likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.