Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by jsn55
Are you telling me that an FA has to store luggage in the first class overhead bins? I find this hard to believe. I've encountered some bins that were full before boarding even started ... I ask an FA to move the stuff so I can put my things above my seat. I treat everyone like a person, nobody respects TAs more than I. And I expect to be treated like someone who paid an enormous amount for a seat up front.
Did you pay an enormous amount? And yes with the removal of closets FAs have to store their bags in the overhead
Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
I still haven't gotten on a Polaris flight but flew an HNL - IAD 777-300ER configured for Polaris service.

While I really liked the privacy I have to say that there were real unanticipated impacts including to service. FAs can't really tell if you are done with a meal or if you need something. I felt the privacy provided an excuse for lackluster service. Again, the service might be different on a true Polaris route, but I was underwhelmed.

I also would not want one of those middle seats or the window seat with the table against the window. And, you need to make sure the seat is configured so you actually have access to a window since some didn't.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 12:58 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by N104UA
Did you pay an enormous amount? And yes with the removal of closets FAs have to store their bags in the overhead
Fine.. Go ahead and store it in row 35, and inconvenience a passenger who is neither a frequent flyer nor a someone who pays 5X the rate of a coach passenger.
Xyzzy, jsn55 and porciuscato like this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Anyone know if ORD - MUN flights in J willl have the updated suites, and what all does that entail?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by N104UA
I still remember seeing the SQ airlines flight and cabin crew at baggage claim in Changi collecting their crew bags, which were tagged priority. That seems to be a smarter solution than clogging up the overhead bins on increasingly denser seating aircraft.
restlessinRNO and jsn55 like this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
I also would not want one of those middle seats or the window seat with the table against the window.
I flew in one of the window seats angled toward the aisle. A little less privacy, sure, but still better than any of the other lie-flat seats that UA currently has in the fleet.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Brostman
Anyone know if ORD - MUN flights in J willl have the updated suites, and what all does that entail?
Depends when you are flying since they don't have yet too many reconfigured 772s. So, you might get an updated seat or you might get a 772 with the 2-4-2 configuration.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Depends when you are flying since they don't have yet too many reconfigured 772s. So, you might get an updated seat or you might get a 772 with the 2-4-2 configuration.
Flying in 2 weeks (my sister and niece actually).... when I look at the UA flight for available seats it shows the 2-4-2 configuration so I am guessing not the updated seats... hopefully they were able to grab window seats
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by transportprof
I still remember seeing the SQ airlines flight and cabin crew at baggage claim in Changi collecting their crew bags, which were tagged priority. That seems to be a smarter solution than clogging up the overhead bins on increasingly denser seating aircraft.
SQ FAs never switch planes during a shift so no chance for lost luggage - while UA FAs make multiple connections per day - a potential nightmare.

Exception for SQ I believe is KUL flights - but it's a return to Sin so no overnight.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:41 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Brostman
Flying in 2 weeks (my sister and niece actually).... when I look at the UA flight for available seats it shows the 2-4-2 configuration so I am guessing not the updated seats... hopefully they were able to grab window seats
Check the seat map two days before the flight. That's when our flights ORD-MUC and MUC-ORD in May were switched to the reconfigured 772 (at that time there was only one). Unfortunately for us, on the day of the flight, ORD-MUC was switched back to the original 2-4-2 seat configuration and we ended with not so good seats. It took 3 seats changes (at the airport check-in desk, at the Polaris Lounge and at the gate) to end up in some acceptable seats.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Looking at TATL for next summer.

Which is better, SFO-FRA or SFO-MUC, 77W or 787? I know that if it's Polaris then it would be 1-2-1 and the advantages of aisle access.

But for some reason, the flights through MUC are about an hour shorter to connect to Italy. I think what's happening is that the routes through MUC has 50 minute connection times, though they fly Embraer from MUC to Italy. Actually on the return too, it's about an hour shorter trip.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wco81

Which is better, SFO-FRA or SFO-MUC, 77W or 787? I know that if it's Polaris then it would be 1-2-1 and the advantages of aisle access.

But for some reason, the flights through MUC are about an hour shorter to connect to Italy. I think what's happening is that the routes through MUC has 50 minute connection times, though they fly Embraer from MUC to Italy. Actually on the return too, it's about an hour shorter trip.
Munich is in southern Germany. It is physically closer to Italy than Frankfurt. And I find the Embraer planes more comfortable than the Airbii in domestic service. Bonus if you can find connections on LH's Italian regional subsidary Air Dolomiti, which has lots of flights into and out of MUC.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 9:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

Which is better, SFO-FRA or SFO-MUC, 77W or 787? ...
While these are the most likely aircrator these routes, one should ealize there may be changes in types of aircraft use on either of these routes when 9,10,11 months away.

SFO-FCO or SFO-ZRH are other options to Italy with good access to smaller Italy airports
Old Sep 15, 2018, 10:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by transportprof
Munich is in southern Germany. It is physically closer to Italy than Frankfurt. And I find the Embraer planes more comfortable than the Airbii in domestic service. Bonus if you can find connections on LH's Italian regional subsidary Air Dolomiti, which has lots of flights into and out of MUC.
actually they are Air Dolomiti.

but 50 minutes connection time in MUC vs. 90 or more minutes at FRA.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry

actually they are Air Dolomiti.

but 50 minutes connection time in MUC vs. 90 or more minutes at FRA.
MUC is a much better airport to connect through over FRA. Much, much better. Easier. Faster. Less stress.
Xyzzy and ecoomer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.