Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2017, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by lskohn
Took UA943 FRA-ORD in Polaris Business class a couple of weeks ago. Meh. The comfort add-ons - mattress cushion, extra pillow, slippers on demand, etc. - really aren't designed to enhance that short day-time flight; the new amenities container is less easy to re-purpose than the soft-sided faux-leather or mesh bags; the amenities themselves nothing to write home about (although road-warrior son is thrilled with the padded eye mask, which is too big for my face). Food also not a noticeable step up from anything. Yes the lie flat seats are the way to go, but that's it (and don't some non-Polaris flights have those as well?)

I can imagine that the TPAC experience might be more satisfying, but I don't plan to alter my flying schedule, or pay more, just to have a chance to fly the Polaris.
FRA-ORD is over 4,300 miles and is set for 9 hours in the schedule. There are some fairly short TATL hops (JFK-DUB eastbound for example) but I'd consider this a pretty notable flight even if it's not quite Ultra-Long-haul.
Old May 2, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cricketer
Dinner service was completed by about 90 minutes after take-off
You mean it was completed as the desert trolley came around or it started after 90 min?
Old May 2, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
You mean it was completed as the desert trolley came around or it started after 90 min?
All done and dusted. I was all tucked in and put my eye-mask on with 8:03 remaining in a 9:46 flight. I didn't feel rushed at any point either. It was actually a really effectively paced service.
Old May 2, 2017, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by cricketer
All done and dusted. I was all tucked in and put my eye-mask on with 8:03 remaining in a 9:46 flight. I didn't feel rushed at any point either. It was actually a really effectively paced service.
That sounds like a treat compared to some of the TATLs where the meal service finally finishes up about 3h in.
Old May 2, 2017, 10:36 pm

Programs: united premier exec, hhonors diamond, priority club platinum elite
Originally Posted by thaliajen
I'd love to hear your reaction to the EWR-ATH flight. I'm booking one for September, also a 767, and I'd planned on treating myself to Polaris. I'm a bit bummed that the pajamas are not offered on the under 12 hour flights, and I don't drink, so I'm wondering if the price will be worth it. I'm curious about your comment regarding the seats. If they're selling it as a Polaris flight, why wouldn't it have Polaris seats? Isn't that the main reason to fly Polaris?
I'll let you know how it goes. As for why it's sold as Polaris, it's a transitional marketing thing. No more business or first in anything, it's "Polaris". I'll save the pjs from the syd trip and reuse them for ath, which is just under 12 hours lol
Old May 3, 2017, 6:56 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Not sure if this belongs in here...but LHR-IAD 919 today, only 1 red boarded. As well, no wine flights going west. (I thought I remembered wine flights on other Polaris LHR, FRA, MUC - EWR, IAD, ORD flights this year ?!?!
Old May 3, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
Not sure if this belongs in here...but LHR-IAD 919 today, only 1 red boarded. As well, no wine flights going west. (I thought I remembered wine flights on other Polaris LHR, FRA, MUC - EWR, IAD, ORD flights this year ?!?!
UA currently has a wine shortage (300% increase over their initial increase projections) many have speculated this is due to (1) better wines on Polaris than before and (2) the wine cart only having wine and water and FAs pushing wine vs going to the galley to get a mixed drink. I think UA can resolve this by adding hard alcohol and mixers to the cart, which they especially should do now if they only have one red going east
Old May 3, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
That sounds like a treat compared to some of the TATLs where the meal service finally finishes up about 3h in.
On my SCL-IAH flight, I noticed that dinner finished in a little under 2hrs from wheels up. I was impressed as it usually takes 3hrs. I was very disappointed that there was no ice cream. That is usually the only reason I won't choose the "executive dining" option to get the meal over with quickly. Had I know, I would have done that.
Old May 3, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: AS (MVP), UA (silver), AA, DL, Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by N104UA
UA currently has a wine shortage (300% increase over their initial increase projections) many have speculated this is due to (1) better wines on Polaris than before and (2) the wine cart only having wine and water and FAs pushing wine vs going to the galley to get a mixed drink. I think UA can resolve this by adding hard alcohol and mixers to the cart, which they especially should do now if they only have one red going east
First Ice cream, now the wine! What is the next? The cheese? I joke, but I will be a little sad if my first (on 5/25) J TPAC is missing big (for me) parts of the service experience.
Old May 3, 2017, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by pfpdx
First Ice cream, now the wine! What is the next?
Pillows. Polaris Cutbacks Begin - One Less Pillow.
Old May 3, 2017, 10:15 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
But wine would be less costly that the liquors used for mixed drinks?
Old May 3, 2017, 10:38 am

First Ice cream, now the wine! What is the next? The cheese? I joke, but I will be a little sad if my first (on 5/25) J TPAC is missing big (for me) parts of the service experience.
There's still ice cream. The sundae is taking a hiatus because of the bowls.
I find the new Polaris desert trolley with the tower of smaller sweet bites to be a big boost to UA's J service.
Old May 3, 2017, 4:44 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

The cheese stands alone.
Old May 3, 2017, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find the new Polaris desert trolley with the tower of smaller sweet bites to be a big boost to UA's J service.
+ 300% !!!

And I am a bit surprised it does not get more favorable comments here ......
Old May 3, 2017, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
Flying IAD-AMS in Polaris (soft product). All I really want to know is if I'll get a Polar Bear or not.
Unlikely. They handed them out at launch and when the 77W entered service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.