Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2017, 3:26 am

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by findark
New food and drink, much improved bedding including the much-discussed optional gel pillow, access to the Polaris Lounge if flying to/from/via ORD.

I might be forgetting something but I think that's most of it.
Flew EWR to MAD. FA complained that someone stole/removed the crew rest pillow.

Food was horrible as usual. Duck Char was really bad -- another meal to stay away from.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:52 pm

Programs: UAMP Global Services, AA Platinum
EWR-SFO in true Polaris seat

Flew this route this eve, March 5. Sat in 17L, forward facing window seat toward back of C cabin.

My seat was great, ample length width, and I am 6' 4", 220 lbs. Seat is very private, finishes are quite nice, and side table is very convenient. Sturdy dinner tray and arm pull atop video screen convey quality. Overall cabin ambience is attractive, but appears dense because of the tall separations between seats.

But Polaris seems to be tale of two seats: The angled seats, in the even rows, seam more cramped and more exposed. Side table is less conveniently located, and the one window is almost behind you over the shoulder. Definitely aim for forward facing seats in odd rows.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 5:42 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by jcacciotti
Flew this route this eve, March 5. Sat in 17L, forward facing window seat toward back of C cabin.

My seat was great, ample length width, and I am 6' 4", 220 lbs. Seat is very private, finishes are quite nice, and side table is very convenient. Sturdy dinner tray and arm pull atop video screen convey quality. Overall cabin ambience is attractive, but appears dense because of the tall separations between seats.

But Polaris seems to be tale of two seats: The angled seats, in the even rows, seam more cramped and more exposed. Side table is less conveniently located, and the one window is almost behind you over the shoulder. Definitely aim for forward facing seats in odd rows.
Thanks for the review!
Just to be clear, ALL seats on this 777-300ER are forward facing. UA does [still] have planes with rear-facing seats in J, so your use of the word "forward" might be a little confusing, implying there might be rear-facing seats on this one, which there are not!
In this thread: Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER
the word to describe the odd numbered row seats is "straight" (vs. angled).

FWIW
Old Mar 6, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Never heard of lox?
It was salmon stuffed with wasabi, not a smoked salmon.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by jcacciotti

I was on that flight, front of the rear cabin. I really like the seat along the window. Couldn't see another person. Felt very private. The shelf is great, as is the little valley under the window which held my paper, iPad and bottle of soda. Little lamp is a nice touch as is done on AF, BA and LX.

But no great seat will compensate for crappy service. Lunch option was "beef, chicken or pasta". No menus handed out on this PS flight. When I asked if he had any more detail on the pasta, he responded "Okay, I'll put you down for pasta." Drink came out twice with lemon instead of requested lime and no wine offered at lunch time. Crew then disappeared behind closed curtains into the galley for two hours before landing.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
But no great seat will compensate for crappy service. Lunch option was "beef, chicken or pasta". No menus handed out on this PS flight. When I asked if he had any more detail on the pasta, he responded "Okay, I'll put you down for pasta." Drink came out twice with lemon instead of requested lime and no wine offered at lunch time. Crew then disappeared behind closed curtains into the galley for two hours before landing.
Sorry to say, that sound like the standard sCO basic service MO - I did what I think is my job (good, bad or indifferent), so now I'm going to stand/sit in the galley and talk/read/not to be disturbed until the flight is done.

Was on UA418 EWR-SFO 77W on 03/03/17 in the psPolaris seat. While I think the crew was primarily sCO and EWR based, they were extremely attentive and showed a positive service attitude. So, there's no guarantee on what you'll get on a given flight but it sure helps if the crew is up and ready to provide great service.

David
Old Mar 7, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
I was on that flight, front of the rear cabin. I really like the seat along the window. Couldn't see another person. Felt very private. The shelf is great, as is the little valley under the window which held my paper, iPad and bottle of soda. Little lamp is a nice touch as is done on AF, BA and LX.

Why do not you write to GS and let them know how unpleasant you were with the PS service? This kind of behavior of FAs is not consistent with the "new spirit of United" promoted by their CEO.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Had our first Polaris J experience on March 7, SFO to HKG. I have to say it was nice. I don't have a whole lot of international J experience but this was a nice flight. Started in LAS and allowed 4 hours to connect in SFO just in case the weather was bad but it was not so we had hours to kill in SFO. United Club had a line and the hostess sent us to the Global First Club near our gate with a note to get since the UC club is undergoing conversion to Polaris and has lost half their space. Once we boarded and climbed upstairs we found all of the bedding minus the PJs and matress pad on our seats. No interest in PJs and matress pad for my wife was on request. Since neither of us are drinkers we had ginger ale and diet coke with our pre-departure chocolates. "Lunch" itself was ok. Wife has lots of food allergies an nothing on the entree menu was working so the FA suggested the soup and grilled cheese plus a cold turkey sandwich. It worked and it was nice that she worked with us. THis was a HKG based crew and the service was solid all around. 14 hours in the air, 2 meals plus snacks served in a timely fashion and a solid 8-9 hours of sleep. All in all it was a win/win trip. Oh, I slept through the ice cream sundae, blame my wife but she was letting me sleep and as a type 2 diabetic, the nice chocolates were more than enough cheating for me for one day.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 9:02 am

Based on comments in this forum, I requested the tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich as a substitute for breakfast. Not impressed.

In chatting with the flight crew, they said that United only loads eight soup/sandwiches for a J-class of 39 passengers. The crew said that they try to avoid mentioning the hot bites.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
After a couple of stays in rented housing that had me padding around in the Polaris slippers, I've grown pretty fond of them. They are comfortable but also take up so little space in my luggage that I can take them on any trip.

I do, however, wish they were black instead of white, so any dirt wouldn't be as obvious. Has anybody tried to wash them?
Old Mar 18, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, SPG Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by bamboola
Based on comments in this forum, I requested the tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich as a substitute for breakfast. Not impressed.

In chatting with the flight crew, they said that United only loads eight soup/sandwiches for a J-class of 39 passengers. The crew said that they try to avoid mentioning the hot bites.
Same here, on FRA-SFO. Soup was ok, but the sandwich was bland and overcooked. Dipping didn't improve it much. It was prepared fresh for me.

The TATL heated breakfast service (sausage and eggs) has also been pretty unappetizing recently.

Unfortunately, of my eight or so Polaris meals over the last couple of weeks since the latest menu revision, seven of them have been overcooked. On the other hand, bread has been consistently cold. Anyone know how the oven settings and cooking time are determined for these meals and whether there are big differences in oven performance flight to flight or plane to plane? None of the flights were delayed, so the FAs would seem to have had full contol over food prep and temp. Prep and temp seems to be the biggest determinant of food quality with the current menu.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:44 am

Taking a Polaris international flight later this week and was curious about getting the mattress pad/cooling pillow. Should you request them upon boarding? Or is there a certain protocol to follow? Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I just booked EWR-LIM. It is listed as Business instead of "Polaris". I've done some searching and have ready some people say the soft product will be the same as before and some say it will get the polaris soft product. If it is the later, this will be my first exposure the the polaris soft product otherwise I should see it on my return SCL-IAH.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by eng3
I just booked EWR-LIM. It is listed as Business instead of "Polaris". I've done some searching and have ready some people say the soft product will be the same as before and some say it will get the polaris soft product. If it is the later, this will be my first exposure the the polaris soft product otherwise I should see it on my return SCL-IAH.

Someone posted an EWR-LIM on the meal thread. It's not the full Polaris meal service.

App/salad, main course, then cheesecake for dessert.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Someone posted an EWR-LIM on the meal thread. It's not the full Polaris meal service.

App/salad, main course, then cheesecake for dessert.
Unless I'm looking at the wrong post, that was IAH-LIM. 6.5hr vs 8hr flight, I would hope I'd at least get a sundae. They did only want a $600 upsell vs a $2500 upsell for my SCL-IAH flight. I guess that sundae is worth 2K

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.