Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2017, 11:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: MPlus,OW,Hotels.com
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I have done 11 Polaris flights since the launch. 4 transatlantic and 7 transpac across PMUA and PMCO aircrafts and also in Polaris First and Polaris Business. I have been holding back my comments until I have done enough flights. Here are my random thoughts:
  • Certain Passenger population really need to stop taking stuff from the planes. I have been told by FA that gel pillows and soft blankets are the common missing items. Bathroom Cowshed toner is also a "hot" item.
  • The food is definitely better. The quality of salad ingredients are improved. The desert options are great. Real sparking water is a huge plus.
  • Pre-arrival breakfast options on transpac flights still need to be reconsidered. I like the deli plate option on the transatlanic flights.

The dinner salad entree options on transatlantic flights are delicious. I would like to seem them offered on transpac flights.
  • No slippers on my four transatlanitc flights. It seems UA is running out of the gel pillows.
  • Wine tasting is great. Yes, the selections can be better, but it is an improvement.
  • On the PMUA aircrafts (other than upper deck of 744), there is little space for the pillows and blankets.
  • No Cowshed toiletry items on PMCO aircrafts
  • Amenity kits are not functional. I think cost is greater than benefits. I am beginning to see a lof of folks leave them behind. I prefer the soft pouch.

I have scheduled a few 77W flights in the couple of months and hope to have the complete Polaris experence (both soft and hard) before making my final judgment.
I have not taken the 744 but have taken several return TPAC's to NRT since last December,I concur in general with exception of the food which I think has gone backwards at least on the flights I have taken. The pre served bread and salad quality I think is awful, no dressing choice and the rubberized shrimp thingy are less than appealing.The mid flight soup is good but I have not a toasted cheese sandwich yet that was edible.I wished they would have just as they did with wine and improved the quality of the core dishes.I have not seen any change in the service which in my experience has always been ok for my needs.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Amil
Service is great with great Polaris experience but this seat is terrible. I can't store anything. I had a choice between sas with a stop or non stop united I decided to give united a shot but wow this is terrible. Lobster Mac and cheese was bomb though
It's not the new Polaris seat. I wonder how long it will take people to stop thinking it is.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
It's not the new Polaris seat. I wonder how long it will take people to stop thinking it is.
It's an interesting reflection on UA and their marketing as well. Since they decided to "go-live" with Polaris and the old product, it's going to years and years of Polaris lottery with the hard product and a lof of people are going to be dissapointed meanwhile. Certainly a lot of people not reading FT and such.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
I have done 11 Polaris flights since the launch. 4 transatlantic and 7 transpac across PMUA and PMCO aircrafts and also in Polaris First and Polaris Business. I have been holding back my comments until I have done enough flights. Here are my random thoughts:
  • Certain Passenger population really need to stop taking stuff from the planes. I have been told by FA that gel pillows and soft blankets are the common missing items. Bathroom Cowshed toner is also a "hot" item.
  • The food is definitely better. The quality of salad ingredients are improved. The desert options are great. Real sparking water is a huge plus.
  • Pre-arrival breakfast options on transpac flights still need to be reconsidered. I like the deli plate option on the transatlanic flights.

The dinner salad entree options on transatlantic flights are delicious. I would like to seem them offered on transpac flights.
  • No slippers on my four transatlanitc flights. It seems UA is running out of the gel pillows.
  • Wine tasting is great. Yes, the selections can be better, but it is an improvement.
  • On the PMUA aircrafts (other than upper deck of 744), there is little space for the pillows and blankets.
  • No Cowshed toiletry items on PMCO aircrafts
  • Amenity kits are not functional. I think cost is greater than benefits. I am beginning to see a lof of folks leave them behind. I prefer the soft pouch.

I have scheduled a few 77W flights in the couple of months and hope to have the complete Polaris experence (both soft and hard) before making my final judgment.
My sample size is only 4 (SFO-HGH, PVG-SFO, GRU-EWR and EWR-PVG).

For item 1, I heard FA's announcements on EWR-PVG flight before landing about leaving everything in business cabin behind except for amenity kit.

For food and drink offers, it is much improved than before. Both appetizers and salads have a lot of variations from one flight to another. I only ordered seafood main entries. They tasted great. I had no issues with breakfast offers.

I dotted PJ and I slept pretty well on all flights. I got gel pillow and mattress pad from FA without any trouble. There is one toilet on B789 (left in the middle of business cabin) that is functional for changing from cloths to PJ or vice versa. It was a challenge on other aircraft types.

FAs are more attentive and happier than before. On some flights, BF, not Polaris, is still the vocabulary in FA's announcements.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Regarding amenity kits, it's possible a lot of business travelers like yourself have enough of the new kits hoarded at home already.

Not a business traveler and didn't take the amenity kit on either flight. The inflexibility of it makes it far less useful and I couldn't see much of a way to repurpose it. I have still have mesh bags from the way back and of the newer ones, the pleather were most useful. I also left the Olympic cylinders. Beginning to wonder about flying business....
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Well, UA's ads that are plastered all over creation showing the Polaris seat do not help.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP.

lol ol where did I say I didn't know that. Stop assuming these. My point was the experience can be so great but it doesn't matter it's the worst damn business ever. No room for anything. Maybe I'm spoiled from other airlines where they leave compartments for people's things and don't try to be so greedy with 4 middle seats. It's really a joke.

i had to beg for a matteress pad cause she kept saying it was for first only .

oh ya no teddy available either
Old Feb 13, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Amil
lol ol where did I say I didn't know that. Stop assuming these. My point was the experience can be so great but it doesn't matter it's the worst damn business ever. No room for anything. Maybe I'm spoiled from other airlines where they leave compartments for people's things and don't try to be so greedy with 4 middle seats. It's really a joke.

i had to beg for a matteress pad cause she kept saying it was for first only .

oh ya no teddy available either
Worst damn Business? Ok I'll bite....compared to who? BA has 8 across as well and the width is the same. The pmUA config isn't ideal but it will be phased out and I wouldn't say that any Business configuration lie-flat has really good storage options. But I guess usually I just need to store an ipad, headphones, and water so it is my own assessment.

As for the teddy bear, that was only offered during initial rollout. Might have lasted longer into the month but people were being greedy and taking extras.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
As for the teddy bear, that was only offered during initial rollout. Might have lasted longer into the month but people were being greedy and taking extras.
Huh? They barded one per seat. There were no 'extras'.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Looking to book a flight... Would you fly ANA business or United Polaris business from ORD-NRT? Have flown old United business on multiple occasions and have flown NH first before.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 5:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I think your feedback will differ based on personal preferences, but my pick if you don't care about MM status is ANA for the following reasons:

- The nonstop flight arrives into HND, which is far more convenient and closer to central Tokyo versus NRT, which is 1+ hour from Tokyo
- Food and in-flight service is more refined
- All aisle-access seating in J
- You can still access the new Polaris lounge in ORD as a *A J customer

Originally Posted by thearmada
Looking to book a flight... Would you fly ANA business or United Polaris business from ORD-NRT? Have flown old United business on multiple occasions and have flown NH first before.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by thearmada
Contrary to others in this forum, I am not an ANA fan. It is a fine airlines, but it does not really hit all the buttons with me.

1. It does not have the automatic footrest lifter. If one has shorter legs, you cannot really rest you legs unless you are in the flat mode when your feet touch the footwells.

2. IFE lacks English content programming.

3. Service is extremely slow for my liking.

4. Food is subjective, but I prefer BR, SQ, OS, TK over ANA. Quality and selection of drinks are excellent, though.

However, UA flies the 2-4-2 777 on ORD-NRT route. Probably the worst of all business class configuration in the UA fleet. Based on the seating comfort alone, take ANA! Wider seat and individual suite configuration over United 772 anyday! Polaris or not.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Contrary to others in this forum, I am not an ANA fan. It is a fine airlines, but it does not really hit all the buttons with me.

1. It does not have the automatic footrest lifter. If one has shorter legs, you cannot really rest you legs unless you are in the flat mode when your feet touch the footwells.

4. Food is subjective, but I prefer BR, SQ, OS, TK over ANA. Quality and selection of drinks are excellent, though.

However, UA flies the 2-4-2 777 on ORD-NRT route. Probably the worst of all business class configuration in the UA fleet. Based on the seating comfort alone, take ANA! Wider seat and individual suite configuration over United 772 anyday! Polaris or not.
I think ANA is great starter choice for many people traveling to Asia in F/J.

Lack of English programming wouldn't bother me since I cannot remember the last time I have used for IFE for anything other than the tracking the flight progress. I usually download my shows/movies ahead of time and watch them on my laptop. I'd prefer airlines use that budget for faster complimentary on-board wifi instead.

As for food, ANA is definitely above average. I have been hard pressed to find complaints regarding it. But I do agree that it is quite subjective. Most people seem to rank Asiana as on par with ANA and place EVA as slightly higher than both of them.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA1K (no longer serviced!), Bonvoy P, Hyatt G
Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
Regarding amenity kits, it's possible a lot of business travelers like yourself have enough of the new kits hoarded at home already.

Not a business traveler and didn't take the amenity kit on either flight. The inflexibility of it makes it far less useful and I couldn't see much of a way to repurpose it. I have still have mesh bags from the way back and of the newer ones, the pleather were most useful. I also left the Olympic cylinders. Beginning to wonder about flying business....
The Polaris amenity kits are bad (designed like a notebook instead of a bag) and the Olympic tins were comically bad, but if those things are making you wonder about flying business class......
Old Feb 14, 2017, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold

The question was which one would take UA or ANA to Tokyo, until UA gets the Polaris seats on all planes, ANA is a better choice., unless you like being a sardine in J, and really love that hour long train ride into the city.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.