Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2016, 6:00 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Lore
Thanks for the photos everyone! This makes me slightly more excited to fly UA business again... I'll reserve my final judgment until I get to try it out myself. Is the bear just something they're giving out now, or will they continue with it?
On social media, United has been saying it will be given out in the "first days" so I wouldn't expect it to last more than about a week.

Leave it to united to overstock on Olympic tins nobody wants and understock bears everyone does
Old Dec 2, 2016, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by TA
What is it that FA's need?
Accountability.

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
If you think how difficult it was to persuade the FAs to comp drinks to 1ks in Economy - one simple instruction - it was obviously never going to happen that they would embrace a completely different approach from Day One... it seems the reality is that UA have over-inflated people's expectations too early.
It seems to me the success or failure of Polaris is at the mercy of individual FA whims.

Originally Posted by Mike2K
Crew is really enthusiastic about Polaris - they're quite excited to deliver.
Luck of the draw.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Coskigirl
I chose the express service so I can go to sleep.

I'll post pics tomorrow.
Good to know they have express service - was it app, entree, dessert on one tray, or something different?
Old Dec 2, 2016, 6:48 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by lowfareair
Good to know they have express service - was it app, entree, dessert on one tray, or something different?
Yes, except I declined dessert.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by villox
Leave it to united to overstock on Olympic tins nobody wants and understock bears everyone does
A smart marketing move would be to order a lot more bears now and keep them coming through the full rollout period.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 7:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by JetAway
A smart marketing move would be to order a lot more bears now and keep them coming through the full rollout period.
Self-servingly I agree 😆
Old Dec 2, 2016, 7:24 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
Self-servingly I agree ��
+1
Old Dec 2, 2016, 7:33 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Wish the $20 range wines they picked weren't the french ones.

Money goes further making the premium pick something new world.
omg really, it's not like we're dealing with some bistro in austin with grain fed waiters, this is a global company going thru a catering company.

ya i want argentinan or ethiopian or south african whine too but having a producer be able to bottle, ship, clear, and distribute consistently to the companies that i have cater for me is, uh, ya.

if i want a new world whine tasting i'll just fly there and on the way deal with whatever schwag they have open and nearby

or just become a whiskey drinker like me, that stuff all taste the same and does the same job

bad idea

we'll have threads of flyertalkers complaining about them months after the same way they complain about the olympic tins (although i agree those tins suck once you open and realize you cannot re-close them)

that and not receiving an email over a flight sked change lol
Old Dec 2, 2016, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by villox
On social media, United has been saying it will be given out in the "first days" so I wouldn't expect it to last more than about a week.

The Polaris Bears are only scheduled from Dec 1-7...the inauguration week. I was also told that you may request pajamas when you are in the Polaris lounge...this is good for those flights scheduled under 12 hours since pajamas are only boarded for flights 12+
Old Dec 2, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
SFO/PVG 787-9
The new bedding, slippers, kits and bears were on the seats when we boarded. Boarding started 15-20 minutes late which was blamed on working the kinks out of provisioning the aircraft for Polaris.

As I was getting seated, the Captain came to our seats to personally greet us, shake hands and talk up Polaris. FA brought preflight drinks and chocolates as soon as we settled in. After dinner, I requested PJ's which the FA promptly delivered. Prior to landing, the FA brought out little boxes of Polaris chocolates, which I haven't yet opened but assume they're the same as what we had with the drinks.

The food and the service were very good, one of the best experiences I've had on UA. The FA that supported the section I was in (1e) was extremely attentive and friendly.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by cur
omg really, it's not like we're dealing with some bistro in austin with grain fed waiters, this is a global company going thru a catering company.

or just become a whiskey drinker like me, that stuff all taste the same and does the same job

I like your style.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by Lion06Fish
I was also told that you may request pajamas when you are in the Polaris lounge...this is good for those flights scheduled under 12 hours since pajamas are only boarded for flights 12+
#loophole #obviouslyexposedonFT
Old Dec 2, 2016, 9:27 am
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
Hope they still have the bears today, on way to EWR for today's EWR-HKG now.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 9:44 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by anandrag
Yes although the pads were in overhead bins so few people grabbed their own. Slippers, pjs and pillow are kept upfront

Just spent some time talking to Purser:
* They're all very excited but still working out kinks obviously.
* She confirmed that they only get the 4 optional items (slippers, pjs, pad and pillow) for 60% of cabin. She totally disagreed with decision but management wants them to give feedback and will increase if there's enough demand.
* Not logical since FAs can't proactively offer them since will run out. And people will get mad with FA if they do run out
* Also UA not getting credit from pax for something they do have if it wasn't offered
It would seem that UA's best strategy would be to board amenities for 100% of the cabin and then for a test period: (a) proactively offer them to PAX; or (b) only provide them to PAX that request them. This will allow UA to determine the amenity take-rates under each of these offer scenarios. Then based on these data, UA can decide whether it wishes to offer proactively or wait until requested, as well as have determined the number of the amenities that must be stocked in order to ensure a sufficiently low number of disappointments (i.e., just as it uses past data to determine its optimum level of seat overbooking).
Old Dec 2, 2016, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Lion06Fish
The Polaris Bears are only scheduled from Dec 1-7...the inauguration week.
Wow that's a short run

I'm on a domestic 789 early next week; wonder if there will be any extras from either int'l side if I ask nicely..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.