Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by TIMOS
I'm embarrassed for them. And not excited to fly Polaris First in a few weeks.
UA's marketing team probably has a persona for you on their customer segmentation board: someone who expects only the best, and is willing to pay for it. But for better or worse it's also safe to say you're not their target market. UA has to design their Polaris menus for the broadest possible American palate. OK, maybe not those who think Applebee's is the pinnacle of fine dining, but not far off: honeymooners, small business owners, retirees, you get the idea. Many of them are are thrilled at the idea of a good steak in the air, followed by a sundae. And there are a heck of a lot more of them than there are of you.

In addition, UA's research showed that what their long-haul premium cabin customers wanted wasn't immaculately presented, internationally sourced meals, but rather a good night's sleep. So they spent accordingly.

To sum up: UA knows you exist. They're just not that into you.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 3:30 pm
TCD

Programs: UA Gold, BA, HHonors, Avis
It never fails to amaze me (as a European expat) how popular burgers/sliders are in the US across all levels of society. And steak is another level of popular again.

I'm also repeatedly surprised at how many wealthy American's choose beer over champagne. When we first started doing finance conferences in NYC we always offered free champagne at our drinks receptions, only for it to go mostly untouched while the Bud Lite sold out.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by TCD
I'm also repeatedly surprised at how many wealthy American's choose beer over champagne.
It is said by some that "Americans" are less pretentious than "Europeans". But we are generalizing, and it's getting rather OMNI.

I like what United did and is doing with Polaris, and am a little surprised at the negative comments.....wait, no, actually I am not really THAT surprised.
Will get a chance to compare to SAS today. We'll see.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by TCD
It never fails to amaze me (as a European expat) how popular burgers/sliders are in the US across all levels of society. And steak is another level of popular again.

I'm also repeatedly surprised at how many wealthy American's choose beer over champagne. When we first started doing finance conferences in NYC we always offered free champagne at our drinks receptions, only for it to go mostly untouched while the Bud Lite sold out.
Beer is considered a social beverage in the U.S., as it is in Germany and, to a lesser extent, Belgium, the Netherlands and the Czech Republic. Champagne is considered a "celebration" beverage. A conference reception is a social event.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Bolding mine.

I know two FAs from sUA who are well over 20+ years of dedicated service and they are thrilled to offer Polaris service and have been embarrassed since the merger at the cuts they had to deliver. They come from an era of flying where style and substance mattered and feel they are finally beginning to have a product to be proud of and deliver. They wince at complaints of peers being disinterested and as generally lead FAs on their routes, do all they can to ensure their onboard team delivers what the brand expects. Your critique to paint all crew members in the same light is not accurate.
Ah, actually, I concede that point, and now clarify my comment:

There are, of course, fabulous FAs doing UA proud every day. I don't take advantage of my lie-flats throughout wide swaths of certain flights, and I often make a uniform-wearing friend. If I fly the route often enough, I get to know them, and even sometimes have exchanged e-mails to carry on some discussion we were in the middle of when it came time for the next meal service, etc.

Here's the rub: these rockstars represent an exception rather than the rule, and they have nothing to rise to - they're already doing the good work they do. My comment was directed at the majority battle axe fixtures that will never lift one extra stub of a finger just because some of the kids at corporate came up with some new-fandangled "product." I confess that I didn't have the stomach to make it through this entire thread in full, but my read was that I'm pretty close to the mark here: rockstars who were always rock stars to begin with, and all the rest who are probably downright annoyed at all of the extra effort and bother - and probably have already begun to sort out ways out of it all.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
UA's marketing team probably has a persona for you on their customer segmentation board: someone who expects only the best, and is willing to pay for it.
Looking at the Beautiful People in the Polaris marketing materials, the luxury customer segment is precisely what United is targeting. However, in reality, I believe they're trying to appeal to corporate travelers whose company travel policies permit paying $4k-$10k for a long-haul roundtrip ticket. That's one reason why United made the sleep amenities the #1 priority, as stated repeatedly in United's press releases and product information.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Lori_Q
Looking at the Beautiful People in the Polaris marketing materials, the luxury customer segment is precisely what United is targeting. However, in reality, I believe they're trying to appeal to corporate travelers whose company travel policies permit paying $4k-$10k for a long-haul roundtrip ticket. That's one reason why United made the sleep amenities the #1 priority, as stated repeatedly in United's press releases and product information.
Ding, ding, ding. Other peoples money.

Make them think they'll run into people like those pictured on board, ply them with lots of liquor and some food before the flight, smother them in bedding, and they pass out happy.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by gspurr
Any bears left? Am flying tomorrow ORD-PVG in PF and was hoping that if there might be some.
FLT 881 ORD-NRT had bears today.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Lori_Q
Looking at the Beautiful People in the Polaris marketing materials, the luxury customer segment is precisely what United is targeting.
Actually I have a secret to tell you: it's all a ruse. Those beautiful people are not intended to be representational, but rather aspirational. They're not targeting the true luxury customer any more than DL or AA is. They just want people willing to spring for J to feel luxurious in the process!
Old Dec 12, 2016, 9:30 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I do wish they'd consider bringing back espresso machines. That would be a really nice touch for Polaris.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
FLT 881 ORD-NRT had bears today.
UA944 ORD-FRA did not
Old Dec 12, 2016, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
UA has to design their Polaris menus for the broadest possible American palate. OK, maybe not those who think Applebee's is the pinnacle of fine dining, but not far off: honeymooners, small business owners, retirees, you get the idea. Many of them are are thrilled at the idea of a good steak in the air, followed by a sundae. And there are a heck of a lot more of them than there are of you.

I disagree here, the applebee crowd wont be flying Polaris, even if they do on a special occasions they aren't wanting applebee style food. So that means international type of foods, steak and seafood or even something a little more fancy. I haven't flown Polaris but the menu's really don't look all that bad, just remember this service isn't suppose to compete with SQ or CX in J.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 12:03 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by exerda
I do wish they'd consider bringing back espresso machines. That would be a really nice touch for Polaris.
+1000. Illy or Starbucks would love to fly...
Old Dec 13, 2016, 6:12 am

Programs: UA GS / 1MM, MR Ambassador / LTTE, Hertz Platinum
Flew EWR - ZUR today.

Huge stack of pillows and blankets on my seat. Had no where to put them. No matteress in the overhead. Didn't really want the PJs or Cooling pillow. The amenity kit was bulky but contained all the same stuff as the old ones, just a ne case. Nice to have the "do not disturb' Sign though.

Food service was a mess. Ordered the executive meal. Got the meal but no tablet cloth and then had to hold my tray while the person went to get tablet cloths. Then they came back and offered the warm nuts halfway through my meal. The person next to me didn't know what th executive meal was so got upset as to why my food was out and theirs wasn't. I went to sleep right after eating, woke up about 1.5 hours later and they are still working through the meal service in a totally random order. Just seemed like chaos.

The illy coffee does taste great though.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I disagree here, the applebee crowd wont be flying Polaris, even if they do on a special occasions they aren't wanting applebee style food. So that means international type of foods, steak and seafood or even something a little more fancy. I haven't flown Polaris but the menu's really don't look all that bad, just remember this service isn't suppose to compete with SQ or CX in J.

If you'll reread my post, you'll see that's just what I said. I even went out of my way to ensure folks didn't think I was talking about, as you put it, "the applebee crowd."

Steak and seafood are precisely what most of UA's Polaris customers want. If you'll scan the thread, you'll see that an earlier poster chided UA for not instead offering more adventurous, immaculately plated international cuisine comparable to QR or QF.

Last edited by l etoile; Dec 13, 2016 at 6:49 am Reason: Removed quote of deleted post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.