Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Originally Posted by schnitzer
Hi, on my recent flight SFO-TPE 777-300 didn’t have snacks in the galley. Normally, there would be chips, bananas, chocolate bars. Is this the new norm?
Just flew MUC-SFO two days ago and they had the galley snacks. Chili and grilled cheese too!
Old Dec 26, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM ★G, DL Silver, Amtrak ES, Hilton Diamond,Nexus
Originally Posted by Kacee
You can also ask for the mid-flight hot snack. (But this is one area where UA lags way behind the Asian carriers.)
I had no idea there was a hot snack. I thought it was just sandwiches. What is the hot snack? Why does this seem like a big secret?
Old Dec 26, 2019, 8:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by droopydog
I had no idea there was a hot snack. I thought it was just sandwiches. What is the hot snack? Why does this seem like a big secret?
It varies, but on TPACs it's usually some combination of an Asian stir-fry, grilled cheese with tomato soup, or noodles.

UA makes vague reference to "hot bites" on the menu and FAs will sometimes mention availability, but overall they seem to want to discourage pax from actually ordering the mid-flight snack. $$$$
Old Dec 26, 2019, 8:44 am
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
It varies, but on TPACs it's usually some combination of an Asian stir-fry, grilled cheese with tomato soup, or noodles.

UA makes vague reference to "hot bites" on the menu and FAs will sometimes mention availability, but overall they seem to want to discourage pax from actually ordering the mid-flight snack. $$$$
I don’t think it’s money. I think it’s because their lazy, personal opinion.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
I don’t think it’s money. I think it’s because their lazy, personal opinion.
I was referring to UA not publicizing availability by not publishing the options on a menu. Every Asian carrier I've flown TPAC lists the options on the menu, rather than forcing you to ask an FA whether there's anything available. UA knows that this will reduce the number of pax who actually order something, thus saving them pennies per passenger.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
I was referring to UA not publicizing availability by not publishing the options on a menu. Every Asian carrier I've flown TPAC lists the options on the menu, rather than forcing you to ask an FA whether there's anything available. UA knows that this will reduce the number of pax who actually order something, thus saving them pennies per passenger.
Most recent menus seem to be listing the hot bites.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by st530
Most recent menus seem to be listing the hot bites.
That would be a welcome change. I'll look for it tonight.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
These changes have definitely made it easier to move to other *A airlines - since the Pajamas are rarely available, and now just cheap advertising t-shirts when you do get them, the hot bites are hit/miss and basically the same as what Air Canada usually offers (well, they have dim sum), the service is still hit/miss depending on the crew, and the entrees have been shrunk, the value proposition I am missing between UA and AC has shrunk to the point I am not really going to miss Polaris at all, except maybe just the better seat on UA.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
EWR-GRU last night, same old Ginseng Chicken bowl. Service was terrible, the male FA hated me from the moment I sat down, and laughed at me when I ordered a drink, twice. Seat didn't recline but he found a way to do it manually, huffing and puffing throughout. Deplorable. Asked for a mattress pad and you would think I asked him to move heaven and Earth. Saved by the 777-300ER. So premium...
Old Dec 26, 2019, 4:32 pm

That would be a welcome change. I'll look for it tonight.
It was definitely on the menu on SFO-SIN yesterday. It’s towards the bottom and does read like ‘fine print’
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Hi, on my recent flight SFO-TPE 777-300 didn’t have snacks in the galley. Normally, there would be chips, bananas, chocolate bars. Is this the new norm?
I just flew the other way around, TPE-SFO and they had snacks and cup noodles in the Galley.
I was even greeted Welcome Mr X the moment I sat down.

I guess it really depends on the mood of the flight attendants.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold
...I guess it really depends on the mood of the flight attendants.
And therein lies the problem. No consistency.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
It is all part of United's consistent inconsistent service.

Last year, I flew SFO-TPE and after asking several times, finally got PJs.

Return leg TPE-SFO, I asked for PJs and was told that they didn't have any since the flight wasn't long enough. I mentioned that PJs were available on the reverse but was told the return had "tail winds" and was shorter not requiring PJs.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Based on my two most recent Polaris flights, looks like the latest cut in service is that there are no more toothpicks bundled with the cutlery. Was 0 for 4 on the meals served on the two flights

Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
Based on my two most recent Polaris flights, looks like the latest cut in service is that there are no more toothpicks bundled with the cutlery. Was 0 for 4 on the meals served on the two flights

Based on my recent flights, 2 meals ex-US no toothpicks, 2 meals ex-China both had toothpicks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.