Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by AndyInSaigon
SFO-SIN departing 01/23. Excellent flight save the awful beef short rib. Very attentive & enthusiastic crew. There were no L/XL PJs. I was told they're out system wide. It's not really a big deal, but I wish I'd know as I'd have brought my own.
Both sizes were available on EWR-HKG on 1/26/19.
AndyInSaigon likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 5:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by AndyInSaigon
SFO-SIN departing 01/23. Excellent flight save the awful beef short rib. Very attentive & enthusiastic crew. There were no L/XL PJs. I was told they're out system wide. It's not really a big deal, but I wish I'd know as I'd have brought my own.
yeah I didn’t like the beef short rib on SFO-AKL.

but they had a different beef dish on the return, which was better.
AndyInSaigon likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL DM 3MM
SFO-SIN, SIN-SFO... Crew great, but on such a long flight, really disappointed with food/wine. Ran out of Whites early - only got one glass before dinner when they ran out. This happened both ways - only got one glass there, one back - and my first selection back was out before I had to choose a different white wine. After two glasses, all Whites were out. I also fell for the short ribs and not good. About 8 hours in the flight many would come up to the snack trays and rummage for food. Only a few bags of chips, some Apples and a very awkward sweet tray that had no plates or ability to see inside the covered 3-tier case. I got the grilled cheese with soup because I was really hungry - about 4 bites and that was it - such a small portion for a 17 hr flight. Coming back, I asked if there was anything else - I got a saran wrapped turkey sandwich that could fit in the palm of my hand. Upon landing the breakfast omelet was OK but the night landing back to SFO - that pasta (I think it was seafood) was a bad choice.

Too bad - the Polaris Lounges had great food/beverage selections - honestly, the in-flight food/beverage was borderline domestic F food experience. Next time, I need to make sure I eat a good dinner/breakfast in the PL before I board... Also probably bring my own bottle of white from duty free - does United charge a corkage fee?
narvik likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by rileydogmi
SFO-SIN, SIN-SFO... Crew great, but on such a long flight, really disappointed with food/wine. Ran out of Whites early - only got one glass before dinner when they ran out. This happened both ways - only got one glass there, one back - and my first selection back was out before I had to choose a different white wine. After two glasses, all Whites were out. I also fell for the short ribs and not good. About 8 hours in the flight many would come up to the snack trays and rummage for food. Only a few bags of chips, some Apples and a very awkward sweet tray that had no plates or ability to see inside the covered 3-tier case. I got the grilled cheese with soup because I was really hungry - about 4 bites and that was it - such a small portion for a 17 hr flight. Coming back, I asked if there was anything else - I got a saran wrapped turkey sandwich that could fit in the palm of my hand. Upon landing the breakfast omelet was OK but the night landing back to SFO - that pasta (I think it was seafood) was a bad choice.

Too bad - the Polaris Lounges had great food/beverage selections - honestly, the in-flight food/beverage was borderline domestic F food experience. Next time, I need to make sure I eat a good dinner/breakfast in the PL before I board... Also probably bring my own bottle of white from duty free - does United charge a corkage fee?
Wow. That is incredible. I hope you write in a complaint....
cesco.g and Kacee like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AC 50K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by rileydogmi

I totally agree with this review, as I had the same experience. The grilled cheese sandwich and soup are supposed to make up for the missing dinner... but they're minuscule! Also only 2 bottles of champagne loaded for the SIN-SFO sector. For paid business class, this is unacceptable. I certainly won't be looking to book any long haul award tickets on UA. I wish you could consume your own wine on board, but it's against regulations. But maybe they'd look the other way in this situation... if discreetly self-pouring ...?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Wow. That is incredible. I hope you write in a complaint....
The penny-pinching on mid-flight snacks is really incredible given what long-haul J costs. UA is literally chasing $6-10k ticket purchases to other carriers to save $5-10 on food.

By contrast, this is one thing the Asian carriers do really well. The CX mid-flight options include a burger or wonton noodle soup, and both are really good. SQ also offers several options mid-flight.
kirkwoodj and narvik like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by Kacee
The penny-pinching on mid-flight snacks is really incredible given what long-haul J costs. UA is literally chasing $6-10k ticket purchases to other carriers to save $5-10 on food.

By contrast, this is one thing the Asian carriers do really well. The CX mid-flight options include a burger or wonton noodle soup, and both are really good. SQ also offers several options mid-flight.
OZ's midflight raman soup option is a revelation. Don't miss it.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Kacee

Agree on the state of United's mid-flight snacks. BR's burger is also really good, though it hasn't been an option on my recent flights.

Absolutely crazy that business class passengers are facing wine outages before dinner service is even finished.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by elitefreak
OZ's midflight raman soup option is a revelation. Don't miss it.
I've had it. I've also had the soup on BR, CX, and SQ. I like CX's wonton noodle best, though I agree the OZ spicy ramen was pretty tasty.
elitefreak likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AC 50K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by goodeats21

Absolutely crazy that business class passengers are facing wine outages before dinner service is even finished.
Yep. And it's not like they're serving fine wine that they're trying to conserve... it's pretty cheap plonk.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by YVR guy
Yep. And it's not like they're serving fine wine that they're trying to conserve... it's pretty cheap plonk.
Please keep writing in about this situation - they are round-trip catering / multi-sector catering the wine to save costs and it just doesn’t work. SYD-SFO earlier this month had only one bottle of white and no champagne at all. It’s crazy.
cesco.g, YVR guy, narvik and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Pretty sure United's rationale for being skimpy on the mid-flight snacks and the wines is the opening of the Polaris lounges.
In typical United fashion, once they spend an extra dollar somewhere they immediately go look for another place to save two....or three...
Artpen100 and perkele like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:07 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by greenpau

Please keep writing in about this situation - they are round-trip catering / multi-sector catering the wine to save costs and it just doesn’t work. SYD-SFO earlier this month had only one bottle of white and no champagne at all. It’s crazy.
Yes, in my experience it is usually the champagne that they run out of first.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:30 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
I flew from LAX to NRT today on the old BC configuration (2-2-2 on 787). I had not flown United for a while preferring flying ANA with the 1-2-1 configuration and the better service.

I noticed a few things:

- all the wines are now American (no more Pouilly Fume, Sancerre or Albarino), besides an unknown Champagne.
- the international movie selection no longer includes Italian, German or French movies. Besides the Asian films, there are only movies in Spanish.
- the nuts are no longer warm, the container is smaller - not even filled up and the selection is poorer.
- the toilets can be very dirty. I blame first the passengers that leave them like that and I guess that I am now too used to the ANA FAs that are keeping them clean.
- the dessert selection hasn't changed for quite some time!

The flight followed a nice experience at the new LAX Polaris lounge. The staff is nice. They offer a good illy espresso coffee in an appropriate espresso coffee cup and the Champagne is Piper Heidseick. The food on the buffet and the restaurant is fairly decent.

Both the cabin and the lounge are 'Polaris', but it's like 2 different companies.

Last edited by UASPG; Jan 31, 2019 at 5:09 pm
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by UASPG
Both the cabin and the lounge are 'Polaris', but it's like 2 different companies.
I guess, technically, they are!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.