Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2018, 10:07 pm

So I took UA Polaris SFO-AKL earlier this month, first experience actually riding in a Polaris cabin. Overall I simply found the seats to be too narrow - when I try to sleep and my shoulders are hitting both sides of the seat, it feels more like trying to sleep in a coffin. The food and service was pretty good and overall, was just mainly a disappointment in the seat.

I was on ANZ on the way back and everything just felt like it was done right - except for their awkward orientation of the seats, which I got over pretty quick. The seat was wide enough but I struggled to be comfortable with my height (6'2).

I would fly both again in the future but given a choice/price I'd probably opt for ANZ. Not sure how surprising that conclusion is but I was 100% a rookie to both cabins.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by MiltonFreedMan
I was on ANZ on the way back and everything just felt like it was done right....
Which arrangement was it?
The cattle stanchion one, or the herringbone one where someone stares at you the whole flight?
I much prefer the UA Polaris seats, and the fact that one can lower to sleep position without FA guidance.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by narvik
Which arrangement was it?
The cattle stanchion one, or the herringbone one where someone stares at you the whole flight?
I much prefer the UA Polaris seats, and the fact that one can lower to sleep position without FA guidance.
Yea I can see the whole "come make my bed for me" thing being a bit annoying after a while. It was the one where we were facing each other on a 789 - really awkward but I get why they did it - makes the cabin feel really open/larger than it is.
narvik likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Yea I can see the whole "come make my bed for me" thing being a bit annoying after a while. It was the one where we were facing each other on a 789 - really awkward but I get why they did it - makes the cabin feel really open/larger than it is.
The issue I always have/had with NZ is that I usually sleep more than once. NZ really expects and caters to a one time sleep experience, preferably a few minutes after initial meal service. That simply doesn't work for me. Although I can appreciate the exclusivity of it, it is simply not my preference. I'd choose Polaris any day, and cheered the day UA resumed service to New Zealand!
MiltonFreedMan likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1k
So I took UA Polaris SFO-AKL earlier this month, first experience actually riding in a Polaris cabin. Overall I simply found the seats to be too narrow - when I try to sleep and my shoulders are hitting both sides of the seat, it feels more like trying to sleep in a coffin. The food and service was pretty good and overall, was just mainly a disappointment in the seat.
One of the armrests can be lowered to give you an extra inch or two of seat width.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I had the exact same thought (like trying to sleep in a coffin). I think it also depends on your body size and what positon(s) you like to sleep in. if you sleep on your back and keep your arms together (like in a coffin), then it is probably fine as long as you aren't too tall. If you are a side/stomach sleeper, you have to get creative. Excluding the old 747 UD, I still find this seat better than any other UA option.

I usually choose the window/straight seat. I find it a little annoying that there is the "wall" between you and the side of the plane. You'd get alot more room without it but it is a handy storage area.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 2:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by eng3
Excluding the old 747 UD, I still find this seat better than any other UA option.
Except GF, of course

But I agree much depends on personal preferences. I've slept (or tried to sleep) on most of the J seats out there, and really appreciate the padding on the Polaris seat. It's one of the few that doesn't cause me shoulder and hip pain.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Kacee
Except GF, of course

But I agree much depends on personal preferences. I've slept (or tried to sleep) on most of the J seats out there, and really appreciate the padding on the Polaris seat. It's one of the few that doesn't cause me shoulder and hip pain.
I've never got the opportunity to enjoy GF before and I guess I probably never will

I think width will always be an issue. You get alot of length to work with in an airplane. Not so much width
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by eng3
... Excluding the old 747 UD, I still find this seat better than any other UA option. ....
The 747 UD seats were among the shortest seats on the 747. The big advantage of the UD was cabin size and quietness.

But were are straying OT.

Agree it depends on sleep position and remembering the side panels are adjustable.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:56 pm

To me, it was also the large side area on the 747 UD window seat where you can store stuff.
On the polaris seat, you have something similar with the space between the wall where you can store stuff but on the polaris seat, its a wall that blocks you when you are sleeping.
I think those higher walls on both sides is what gives that "coffin feel" versus being open. But I guess that is the price of privacy too. There is only so much those seat manufacturers can do with the limited width of the plane.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by COA777
Flew Flight 762 on Nov. 17 from Dulles to IAH on a non-Polaris seat 763, and to my surprise found all the Polaris bedding, pillows (including gel), and amenity kits at every First Class seat. Assume this is an uncommon occurrence for a domestic flight? I haven't experienced it before on a non-international flight.
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's not uncommon when they use an international aircraft on a domestic route. Varies by flight and station. Definitely a welcome treat.
Definitely varies. I flew a 3 class 777-200 from IAD-SFO and the seats had nothing, not even the thin domestic blanket, on them
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:50 pm

Amenity kits should include lint rollers after using the blankets. I was picking huge swaths of lint off my clothes all morning after going SFO-SIN roundtrip.

I had a very pleasant crew on SFO-SIN and I guess an ok one on the way back.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Almost two years after the introduction of International Polaris services, my assessment is that United has done a full circle and we are back to pretty much the same offerings as the old united International business class except for the following:

1. New linen, plates and cups etc - inconsequential constricted changes

2. Gel Pillow and extra blanket - don’t need the extra blanket but the gel pillow is a nice touch!

3. Extra sweet deserts in additional to cheese plate and in cream - makes little difference to me.

Items that used to be offered but eliminated in Polaris:

1. Mid flight Hot noodle soup
2. Sandwiches and wraps as mid flight snacks
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
and PJs?
Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IAH2MEL
and PJs?
And mattress pad.

And the lounges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.