Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by jasonp622
they really need to get the new planes on SFO-LHR. i have flown this a couple of times this year and the 2-4-2 just doesn't cut it on a route that has been having zero upgrades. Been shut out 3 times for GPU upgrade to first. i miss the 474 UD. i have been lucky to have grabbed aisles on the 2 of the 4 but come on. why does TPE get the new plane (although not complaining when i got this day before for saver award in November)?
One reason is that flying 772 allows an aircraft swap with plane from IAD. So it does SFO-LHR-IAD. Is SFO-LHR the only international 772 route out of SFO now?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by hirohito888
One reason is that flying 772 allows an aircraft swap with plane from IAD. So it does SFO-LHR-IAD. Is SFO-LHR the only international 772 route out of SFO now?
It's been getting pretty rough lately: SFO-HND and SFO-PVG (x1) have also gone to the pmUA 772.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
It's been getting pretty rough lately: SFO-HND and SFO-PVG (x1) have also gone to the pmUA 772.
When does that (SFO-HND to pmUA 772) happen?
Old Mar 3, 2018, 11:39 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by jasonp622
they really need to get the new planes on SFO-LHR. i have flown this a couple of times this year and the 2-4-2 just doesn't cut it on a route that has been having zero upgrades. Been shut out 3 times for GPU upgrade to first. i miss the 474 UD. i have been lucky to have grabbed aisles on the 2 of the 4 but come on. why does TPE get the new plane (although not complaining when i got this day before for saver award in November)?
Apparently my flight features the new Polaris configuration with lie-flat cabinet style seating.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 1:03 am

Programs: UA GS
Flew SFO-AKL last week. Crew seemed totally disinterested in service. Every request seemed like a chore with literal eye rolls at times.

Now on SYD-IAH. Total opposite. Crew going out of their way to be helpful and friendly. What’s remarkable is how little difference there is between being nice and standoffish. It doesn’t really take much to totally change the experience.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 5:42 am

Programs: 1K
Flew Polaris for th first time SFO->FRA. Nice experience, but nothing special. Crew were friendly, hard product was good, food was acceptable. Would I be happy if I paid the 8K face value of the ticket? Not at all, but as a GPU on a relatively inexpensive fare, it’s fine.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:48 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
still BusinessFirst

Originally Posted by villox
Flew SFO-AKL last week. Crew seemed totally disinterested in service. Every request seemed like a chore with literal eye rolls at times.

Now on SYD-IAH. Total opposite. Crew going out of their way to be helpful and friendly. What’s remarkable is how little difference there is between being nice and standoffish. It doesn’t really take much to totally change the experience.
On MEL-LAX, the service was good. The ISM served one side of the B789 rear cabin, where I sat. She mentioned BF for one of her announcements. I never heard Polaris from her. I wished that she acknowledged Polaris.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by villox

Did TPAC the last few weeks and similar experience. Outbound had great purser and FA - requests and problems are handled, water filled without asking, etc. Inbound to SFO, it seems every request took forever, had to ask for water refill every time and you get the feeling you are bothering them.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Kmxu

On MEL-LAX, the service was good. The ISM served one side of the B789 rear cabin, where I sat. She mentioned BF for one of her announcements. I never heard Polaris from her. I wished that she acknowledged Polaris.
Interestingly, I had sort of an opposite experience last week. I was on a 3-cabin 777 on a domestic segment, and all the announcements used "Polaris Business" and "Polaris First" when describing the cabins. Nothing about the service was "Polaris". No wonder people are conflating the seats with the "Polaris" brand.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Interestingly, I had sort of an opposite experience last week. I was on a 3-cabin 777 on a domestic segment, and all the announcements used "Polaris Business" and "Polaris First" when describing the cabins. Nothing about the service was "Polaris". No wonder people are conflating the seats with the "Polaris" brand.
Since it was a domestic flight, it would be just typical domestic service, however, calling it Polaris was wrong.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 10:41 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Gary Leff cites some newsletter as saying that Kirby doesn't like Polaris and will look to scale it back.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by wco81
Gary Leff cites some newsletter as saying that Kirby doesn't like Polaris and will look to scale it back.
What else can they cut? Stay tuned...
Old Mar 18, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
If true, my days of flying UA may soon be over.

So let me get this straight, UA finally comes somewhat close to most international J products with the nice new seats and lounges, but the second hand man hates it? Absurd.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
There isn't that much to scale back. They're clearly slow-walking the rollout as a means to barely implement it in the first place.

Based on UAs original BS publicity, I had flight a year ago where I expected would enjoy Polaris lounge service out of SFO. It's still not there. I'll bet it won't even happen this year.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 11:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by porciuscato
There isn't that much to scale back.
They can halt the retrofits entirely (which they're not far from now, with still zero 772s converted and only 5 763s). They can cut the bedding and pjs (which appears to already be in the works). And they can downgrade the lounges to UCs with better seating and heightened entry requirements.

I'm sure Kirby's view is "we're filling the 8 across 772s right now . . . why do we need to improve anything?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.