Polaris In-flight Experiences

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 10, 18, 8:34 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: wilp888
Wiki Link
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 17, 17, 8:37 am
PPM

I have flown the new Polaris GF to and from China 3 times in the last 3 months, and same story each time. This is just not GF by any stretch of the imagination and not even standard for others' business products. On one return flight, the wine I requested in GF had "all been used" on the flight over--not enough was boarded. On another flight, they ran out of Pellegrino and served canned club soda. Yesterday, I was asked if I needed slippers, only to be told that there were not enough to go around the business and GF cabin, and as a paying GF passenger, I did not get them. The meal service is no different from business class--no dine on demand--the same rote standing over you to put your napkin on the tray without even asking if you would like your meal then. Also--as a paying GF passenger, my 3 bags were among the last 10 to appear in baggage claim. There is just no comparison with non-US business class products. OH--almost forgot, we had a 5-hour mechanical delay as well, and when I arrived home, I had an email to log into a site to receive an "apology" which was a $200 certificate. Really? For 5 hours and in paid GF? I am writing today to complain.
Old Aug 17, 17, 8:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PPM View Post
I have flown the new Polaris GF to and from China 3 times in the last 3 months, and same story each time. This is just not GF by any stretch of the imagination and not even standard for others' business products. On one return flight, the wine I requested in GF had "all been used" on the flight over--not enough was boarded. On another flight, they ran out of Pellegrino and served canned club soda. Yesterday, I was asked if I needed slippers, only to be told that there were not enough to go around the business and GF cabin, and as a paying GF passenger, I did not get them. The meal service is no different from business class--no dine on demand--the same rote standing over you to put your napkin on the tray without even asking if you would like your meal then. Also--as a paying GF passenger, my 3 bags were among the last 10 to appear in baggage claim. There is just no comparison with non-US business class products. OH--almost forgot, we had a 5-hour mechanical delay as well, and when I arrived home, I had an email to log into a site to receive an "apology" which was a $200 certificate. Really? For 5 hours and in paid GF? I am writing today to complain.
The 5-hour mechanical and 3 bags coming out last could happen on any carrier, even the best first-class products. Technically even the shortage of sparking water (and usually wine too) could on any carrier occur too should there have been a thirsty inbound flight, but UA has always notoriously undercatered imo.

I'm not a UA First apologist, as I'm well aware it's not at the same level of other carriers first products, but why would you continue to buy the product that you clearly dislike so much 3 times??
artvandalay likes this.
Old Aug 17, 17, 10:01 am
TCD

Programs: UA Gold, BA, HHonors, Avis
Originally Posted by PPM View Post
At least you won't be able to complain about GF for much longer. Not long now until it is entirely removed, which is perhaps for the best given the difficulty they have in meeting customer expectations.
Old Aug 18, 17, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, National Executive Elite, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
I've taken two flights on 77Ws in Polaris business and ran into seat issues both times.

First time, the tray table was not able to lock properly so on takeoff it had to be held by hand in place or it would keep sliding back. Second time, something (misaligned cushioning?) was keeping the leg rest from automatically raising. It had to be to moved by hand the first few inches.

Not major issues either time, but both occurred on seats in planes that were less than a month or so old at the time of flight. The build quality just doesn't seem great. Who knows what shape the seats will be in 5, 10 years from now.
Old Aug 18, 17, 12:07 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I meant to post this earlier, but I just had some of the best Polaris (Business) experiences recently, and am wondering if it is because the FAs are more familiar with everything.

The August LAX-LHR flight was on a 787 and the FAs both greeted me by my name when I boarded, proactively offered me the "mattress" when it was obvious I was going to sleep, asked if I wished to be woken for the pre-arrival snack (and then were all smiles when I changed my mind at the time it was being served). When I asked for their views of the couple of meal selections very helpful. The PDB was served but not in those silly cups but a regular cup. I requested the gel pillow (such a wonderful item for sleeping and yes I left it on the plane) and the slippers (which I took with me and left in my final hotel room).

On the return August LHR-SFO flight on the 747, there was no PDB as the catering had not yet been loaded, but this was explained to us and they gave us all a bottle of water. Requested the gel pillow and slippers for the flight (and left both on the plane when I left). Again, FAs greeted passengers by name and were a delight.

I sent in notes to UA about both wonderful experiences as my first Polaris flight was horrible and that with the GPU issues I was experiencing started my move away from UA flights. After these two recent experiences I booked my next flight with UA.

Note: I have not tried the hard product yet as it is not on the flights I travel (yet).
Old Aug 18, 17, 12:14 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
On my latest Polaris flight, ORD-FRA, I noticed no hot mid-flight snacks were available. Are they a function of block time? I've enjoyed the snacks on flights to Australia, and from the West Coast to Europe. It would be a shame to see them fade out, if that's what is going on.
Old Aug 18, 17, 1:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by transportprof View Post
On my latest Polaris flight, ORD-FRA, I noticed no hot mid-flight snacks were available. Are they a function of block time? I've enjoyed the snacks on flights to Australia....
Available ex-SYD earlier this week.

but in the announcement, it stated
On daytime flights longer than eight hours and on all flights longer than 12 hours, hot mid-flight snacks such as lobster macaroni and cheese will be available.
So the ORD-FRA is on the borderline

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 18, 17 at 1:43 pm Reason: ORD-FRA lenght
Old Aug 18, 17, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof View Post
On my latest Polaris flight, ORD-FRA, I noticed no hot mid-flight snacks were available. Are they a function of block time? I've enjoyed the snacks on flights to Australia, and from the West Coast to Europe. It would be a shame to see them fade out, if that's what is going on.
ORD-FRA is considered a red-eye under 12 hours so they don't offer hot mid flight snacks.
Old Aug 18, 17, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by N104UA View Post
ORD-FRA is considered a red-eye under 12 hours so they don't offer hot mid flight snacks.
I feel the same was true on my IAH-LHR flight but they still did a good job setting up the snacks and some additional left of deserts/apps from the meal service.
Old Aug 18, 17, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto View Post
I feel the same was true on my IAH-LHR flight but they still did a good job setting up the snacks and some additional left of deserts/apps from the meal service.
On all the US-EUR flights I have been on they have a snack cart just no hot snacks (which makes sense and many are trying to sleep between the meals), on the return flights I have always had hot snacks available.
Old Aug 19, 17, 3:21 am

Programs: UA1K .6MM
Sorry for the large pics, my go-to TinyPic won't upload from my iPhone (error), which resizes photos for forum size. Warning: large bear pics lay ahead...

Anyhow, I just came into possession with this Polaris bear named "Herschel The Connect Bear". The guy I got it from said he got it at a United event in Chicago, but he doesn't know anything more.

He's taller than the regular 2 different Ursa bears (rear cape, or ribbon), and feels higher quality. Manufacturing date says July 2016. Wonder if they were a one off before they decided on Ursa?

Last edited by tuolumne; Aug 19, 17 at 3:27 am
Old Aug 19, 17, 6:49 am

Programs: Chase UR, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, CCarlson Gold, VirginAtl Silver
Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
SFO-LHR and return in GF. I know it is not a PJ route, but will there be slippers? My search function gives inconsistent information, so I'd appreciate any recent experiences from people who have been on non-PJ routes. Thank you.
My long-anticipated Polaris flight SFO-London on Thursday was fabulous. It wasn't real Polaris, of course, but the seats on this ol' lady 747 were just fine; she's retiring in another month. Everything worked and I was very comfortable. I loved all the little changes in service, the chocolates especially. Flight crew was fabulous ... a smile and greeting every encounter. Enjoyed the food too ... didn't check out the mid-flight snacks 'cause I wasn't ever hungry. The first-class-only lounge at SFO was a nice surprise with excellent choices like noodle salad and sushi ... they poured Moet which I can't resist. Not at all crowded mid-morning, but much too stuffy as I usually find UA lounges. There wasn't a single thing I could complain about, contrary to my expectations. I booked this award when all the hoop-la started about Polaris and had been hoping for the real thing. Several months ago it became obvious that it wouldn't happen, so I was quite apprehensive about the flight. Needless worry, the whole experience was just plain great.
tuolumne, RandomBaritone and Kacee like this.
Old Aug 19, 17, 11:44 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I have an award flight coming up.

One of the segments is in GF, LHR-SFO.

Does GF get me into different lounges at SFO (before the outbound which is Polaris Business on UA 58) or at LHR?
Old Aug 19, 17, 12:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
I have an award flight coming up.

One of the segments is in GF, LHR-SFO.

Does GF get me into different lounges at SFO (before the outbound which is Polaris Business on UA 58) or at LHR?
Generally Business cabin does not get SFO GFL on departure, but might if the regular UC is crowded.
No access at LHR to departure lounges unless continuing on.
There is an Arrival Lounge at LHR when arriving before noon

There is a GFL at LHR
To access the GFL at SFO on the return, you would need to have a connecting flight to clear back airside after immigration/customs. There is an Arrivals Lounge at SFO for premium cabin passengers arriving before noon.
There are no Polaris Lounges at SFO (maybe early 2018) or LHR (a little later early 2018).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 19, 17 at 12:19 pm Reason: time limits on arrival lounges
Old Aug 19, 17, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I would be going MUC-LHR-SFO. About 2 hours connecting at LHR, 8:15am to 10:25am.

So there might be LH Senator lounges at LHR? Or the GFL at LHR would be better?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: