Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:05 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
I've never seen a bloody mary cart on a UA flight?
Supposed to be standard Polaris service.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by RJNYC
UA55 CDG to EWR on Monday, May 29 ... I knew something was off when I walked up to Seat 1E and noticed that the carpet was soaking wet.

Shortly thereafter, I learned that neither the 1L nor 2L lavatory had running water. Indeed, someone took the time to duct-tape the sinks closed and print a sign stating that the sinks were out of order. But no one had the time to actually fix the sink? Does the “O” in POLARIS stand for “Outhouse”?

The fact that United chose to continue to fly this bird flight in flight out in this sorry state shows complete wonton and callous disregard for the safety, health, and welfare of its passengers and its employees. I hope the flight attendants took my advice and filed a grievance with their union. I have a message into 1K Voice, and I'm genuinely curious what they will have to say for themselves.
Wow. I could cut United some slack for a one-off flight, but to keep using this frame without getting the water issue fixed is pathetic.

Let us know what kind of response you get.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
I've never seen a bloody mary cart on a UA flight?
You aren't missing much. Like everything Polaris - lots of hype but nothing to write home about.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:25 am

I was told most don't do it because it frequently turns out to be a complete waste. Zero is not an uncommon amount for the number of passengers that want one on a flight. More resourceful to just make them ala carte for those who request one.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Mods; please feel free to move this post if needed, but I could not find a definitive current answer. There have been reports that the Bloody Mary cart is supposed to be used on morning departures. I had a 10:20 am flight (HNL-NRT) that had neither the bloody or wine carts. Was this just a catering or FA snafu or a change to the stated service. Thank you wise sages!
I was under the impression that it was supposed to be on Breakfast flights, if it is billed as a lunch flight it will be a wine cart. I took the 8am FRA-ORD in Feb and they did the bloody mary cart and maybe 50% of the pax had one. It is worth noting they also had sparking wine, OJ, and Water on the cart and would get you a drink from the galley if you wanted something else.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by N104UA
I was under the impression that it was supposed to be on Breakfast flights, if it is billed as a lunch flight it will be a wine cart. I took the 8am FRA-ORD in Feb and they did the bloody mary cart and maybe 50% of the pax had one. It is worth noting they also had sparking wine, OJ, and Water on the cart and would get you a drink from the galley if you wanted something else.
From many report it spears that if someone wanted a drink the FA would go back in to the galley and make the drink and bring back to the passenger which is nice, but sort of a pain for the FA. One would assume that the FA should finish what she stated with the cart THEN get the drink or have the Galley FA prepare the drinks and deliver them.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
I don't drink anything on that cart, so yes the FA goes to the galley to get anything else. It's not too slow. The cart is purely for show, but I'm hesitant to criticize it because at least it's some kind of effort on UA's part.

They should just take drink orders with the meal orders, and bring the 'mimosa/bloody mary' cart with a few cokes/wines/spirits to match the drink orders. Then going to the galley would be the exception.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
From many report it spears that if someone wanted a drink the FA would go back in to the galley and make the drink and bring back to the passenger which is nice, but sort of a pain for the FA. One would assume that the FA should finish what she stated with the cart THEN get the drink or have the Galley FA prepare the drinks and deliver them.
I disagree.... I think they should make every drink when ordered because let's say I'm at the front of the cabin and want something that's not on the cart. I should wait 20 more minutes for the cart to snake it's way through the cabin for the FA to finish and then get my drink, but has likely forgotten by that point?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by warrenw
I disagree.... I think they should make every drink when ordered because let's say I'm at the front of the cabin and want something that's not on the cart. I should wait 20 more minutes for the cart to snake it's way through the cabin for the FA to finish and then get my drink, but has likely forgotten by that point?

When it can take up to an hour for the FA to offer a first drink after take-off on an international flight when I'm in row 1, I don't think any further delays are a good idea.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO

When it can take up to an hour for the FA to offer a first drink after take-off on an international flight when I'm in row 1, I don't think any further delays are a good idea.
I totally agree!
Old Jun 7, 2017, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by warrenw
Well UA used to bring the entire cart through business so you could get whatever drink you wanted and people on this forum complained that it looked tacky... Do you want a drink on demand or a pretty looking wine cart?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Well UA used to bring the entire cart through business so you could get whatever drink you wanted and people on this forum complained that it looked tacky... Do you want a drink on demand or a pretty looking wine cart?
It doesn't really matter because it wouldn't be consistent anyway. As one of the first served on a recent flight, they didn't have the wine listed so the presentation was moot.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: UA
I wish the shoulder belt could be hidden away in a better spot. I found my self lying on it quite often and its pretty uncomfortable.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by Hammer0425
I was told most don't do it because it frequently turns out to be a complete waste. Zero is not an uncommon amount for the number of passengers that want one on a flight.
I took the 8am FRA-ORD in Feb and they did the bloody mary cart and maybe 50% of the pax had one. It is worth noting they also had sparking wine, OJ, and Water on the cart and would get you a drink from the galley if you wanted something else.
And this is why anecdotes are worth precisely nothing. So the answer is either none of the passengers want one ... or half the passengers do.

I was recently on TXL>EWR and can confirm that most passengers I observed chose something off the cart, be it a Bloody Mary, mimosa, or champagne. The guy next to me, though, ordered a screwdriver, and it was delivered promptly.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
And this is why anecdotes are worth precisely nothing. So the answer is either none of the passengers want one ... or half the passengers do.

I was recently on TXL>EWR and can confirm that most passengers I observed chose something off the cart, be it a Bloody Mary, mimosa, or champagne. The guy next to me, though, ordered a screwdriver, and it was delivered promptly.
Totally agreed

I am sure UA will/has evaluate(d) the Bloody Mary cart and if it is not being used they won't do it, although for the low cost of mixer and garnishes it is a unique offering that other airlines aren't doing, in addition it gives choice to the pax on how they want their drink made.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.