Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

When 2 of you travel in Y, do you select Window+Aisle?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When 2 of you travel in Y, do you select Window+Aisle?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2016, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
No problem if you do it IMO, but give the person in the middle the choice of window or aisle if you ask them to switch.
This. I tend to get a touch of claustrophobia on planes. Due to that, I strongly prefer a middle seat over a window in a full row. If offered only a window seat in a swap, I'd decline.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 5:32 pm

We always book 2 aisle seats across the aisle from each other. You're close enough to talk and each traveler benefits from aisle access.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by spin88
I do this all the time on flights I don't expect to fill up, but I am doing 4 seats (SO + 2 kids). Only one time ever has someone not want to move. I nicely asked this sort of unpleasent looking woman in her 50s if she wanted to switch, but before I got it out she said "No I don't want to move" so I put an 8 year old on one side of her and an 11 year old on the other. My SO and I had a nice flight on the other side of the isle, with an empty middle seat between us.
My daughter and 4 year old grandson had middle and window. I had aisle one row behind. She stuck my annoying grandson in middle. I was passing her all the food, toys etc that I had in my bag. The gentleman originally didn't want to switch but after a few minutes with my grandson, he snapped at the chance.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
we always book aisle/aisle middle section one behind the other for our tPAC long haul.
this means at least one of us doesn't have the person in front reclining into our laps.
and we can swap and share the 'load' during the flight if that happens.
and generally the other two seats in the row have couples so we don't get climbed over when the middle one wants to get out.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA MP Gold, 1MM, Global Entry
Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
My daughter and 4 year old grandson had middle and window. I had aisle one row behind. She stuck my annoying grandson in middle. I was passing her all the food, toys etc that I had in my bag. The gentleman originally didn't want to switch but after a few minutes with my grandson, he snapped at the chance.
I always select aisle/window, often with party of 4 in row behind the other. I have NEVER been refused by one of the middle occupants in either row to change to whichever we offered, window or aisle, usually window. But if anyone did object, it would be no big deal to sit as such. When SDC'ing or flying standby we often get split up if we are last to get seats, and that works too. At least we are on our preferred flight for that day and we get home while others on the waitlist roll to the next flight. We spend enough time together that we don't need one more flight as such. Although when kids were youthful in such an arrangement, they left video game cartridges in the seat pocket that we never saw again. And an ipod, too. Expensive seating arrangement. lol.

That said, when kiddos were infants and cried from air pressure changes on descent, I would do my best to calm them and keep them from kicking the seat in front, and even proactively attempt to make the situation better with a bottle just before descent (we would bring it on board with ice packs), but if a nearby passenger had the gall to give me a really intentionally nasty stare due to the crying, I would let the kiddo cry it out (it didn't change the pain in their ears) and smile back at them - as they disliked it more than I. I was used to the tears and noise but I will not be bullied because a child can't keep it together. I never take issue with a crying child as the parent has it hard enough as it is. Bose headphones and ipod are all it takes to drown it out and let them handle their own situation without others input. My 2 cents.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold
I've tried this strategy a few times, but the middle seat always fills up close to departure or at the gate with NRSAs

I do echo the strategy of booking toward the back of E+. A few times I've watched the seat map progression as the gate agent clears NRSAs front to back in E+. When flying solo toward the front of E+ I've had NRSAs next to me in the middle seat while middle seats farther back in E+ left empty.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by TCD
For slightly unclear reasons booking an aisle + window as a couple makes me feel uncomfortable. Then again, I am an (expat) Brit so have a firmly bred sense of Don't Break The Rules.

I suppose the nearest thing I can liken this to is when I'm waiting in a long line and holding a place for my wife. It's not that I have a problem with other people doing it, but it still makes me feel a bit uncomfortable.
Is there a rule that says that if a husband and wife are flying together, one of them must take a middle seat? Or even sit together?
Old Nov 29, 2016, 2:39 am

Yes, my husband and I book aisle and window, but it's more about not sitting in a middle seat than hoping for 3 seats to ourselves. When someone is assigned to the middle seat we don't offer to switch, but we also don't interact during the flight so we don't make whoever is between us uncomfortable. I live with him - we can go a few hours without sitting together or talking.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 5:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by swiftaw
So, most of my travel is with my SO, and mostly in Y on narrow bodied aircraft so 3+3 seating. Without thinking, I always select Window+Middle for our seats, but I'm wondering if a better strategy would be to select Window+Aisle in the hope that the (less desirable) middle seat might remain unoccupied. Worse case, if it isn't, I can take the middle, and allow the other passenger to take the more desirable aisle seat.

Does anyone else do this? Is this considered "bad-form"? Anyone ever had a passenger insist on taking the middle seat because that's what they were assigned?
MsHalls120 and I use this strategy. We've never had anyone insist on taking the middle seat - especially on a long haul flight.

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
This. I tend to get a touch of claustrophobia on planes. Due to that, I strongly prefer a middle seat over a window in a full row. If offered only a window seat in a swap, I'd decline.
Hope you aren't on our flight this Friday.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 7:47 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
The unmentioned drawback to this is the family that has kids and books after you. They're left with random centers scattered throughout the aircraft and are often spending time at initial check in trying to get seated together, at the 1st flight's gate, and at the connecting flight's gate. Then often on board, they poach other people's seats who don't board before them to self remedy their situation as the cs agents, with only scattered middles as options often fail in achieving a fair trade with others (not many people want to trade their aisle for a middle.) I understand the theory, it is a 1st come, 1st serve world for seat assignments and who better to look after than your own self. It's not an efficient use of resources but it does serve one's personal needs.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 8:18 am
TCD

Programs: UA Gold, BA, HHonors, Avis
Originally Posted by AONwheels
Is there a rule that says that if a husband and wife are flying together, one of them must take a middle seat? Or even sit together?
That's the delight of being British, there are written rules and then there are the unwritten rules of politeness and what my grandfather would have called "behaving decently".

In this case I think it would be perfectly acceptable for a husband and wife to book separate seats if they intend to sit in them come what may. But, if when someone takes the middle you immediately offer to swap, then you obviously do want to sit together, which is moving towards reserving a seat you don't really want. Which makes me uncomfortable.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by TCD
That's the delight of being British, there are written rules and then there are the unwritten rules of politeness and what my grandfather would have called "behaving decently".

In this case I think it would be perfectly acceptable for a husband and wife to book separate seats if they intend to sit in them come what may. But, if when someone takes the middle you immediately offer to swap, then you obviously do want to sit together, which is moving towards reserving a seat you don't really want. Which makes me uncomfortable.
If one is to do this, one "really wants" the aisle and the window, but not if that means having a person sit between. I might also "really want" the bulkhead, unless there's a baby in a bassinet there.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 9:15 am
TCD

Programs: UA Gold, BA, HHonors, Avis
Originally Posted by drewguy
If one is to do this, one "really wants" the aisle and the window, but not if that means having a person sit between. I might also "really want" the bulkhead, unless there's a baby in a bassinet there.
Sophisticated reasoning, but I suspect my grandfather would be unconvinced.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by swiftaw
Does anyone else do this?
Is this considered "bad-form"?
Anyone ever had a passenger insist on taking the middle seat because that's what they were assigned?
Always.
No! I don't understand why anyone thinks it would be. I can pick any empty seat I want.
Never -- they are always VERY happy.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 9:46 am

+1 to pretty much what everyone is saying about selecting Window + Isle. It's easier to trade something more valuable than to try and swap a middle seat for something else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.