Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

BKK-CLT award in J with connection in IKA (Tehran)

Old Nov 23, 2016, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Was surprised that one of the options for an award ticket in J from BKK-CLT this coming January was with an 11hr connection in Tehran.

This seems way out of left field and was curious if anyone else had seen such an unusual routing.

Did not go through to see if it would book.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
united tehran.pdf (177.8 KB, 1240 views)
Old Nov 23, 2016, 3:44 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
That's actually really interesting. More so since the new award changes requires you to select one of the presented options vs. creating your own.

It's legal per Timatic since you don't need a visa for <24 hours even as a US citizen. I doubt many would want to attempt that, though.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 3:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
I cant think of too many places id rathwr not connect...
Old Nov 23, 2016, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

We actually visited Iran last October for 2 weeks, so this result was doubly surprising. I think Timatic may be mistaken about no need for a visa for an American for less than 24 hours. We certainly needed one, in advance, though they now offer visas on arrival for most European countries IIRC. I'd be shocked if they'd let an American out of the airport and into the country without a visa even for 11 hours.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 3:58 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by jchock1
We actually visited Iran last October for 2 weeks, so this result was doubly surprising. I think Timatic may be mistaken about no need for a visa for an American for less than 24 hours. We certainly needed one, in advance, though they now offer visas on arrival for most European countries IIRC. I'd be shocked if they'd let an American out of the airport and into the country without a visa even for 11 hours.
I was actually looking into transiting there, and there is very little information from what I was able to find online. I think Timatic may be correct for transiting, but for visiting Americans are definitely subject to different rules, including that nasty tour group provision.

From what I read, it did seem that TWOV involved remaining airside in the secure area while some staff member checked you in and got your boarding passes and returned to give them to you.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cargojon
I cant think of too many places id rathwr not connect...
Perhaps not connect, but it's a fabulous country to visit. Coincidentally I just posted a link to a trip report about our Iran trip in the LGBT forum in response to others fears of visiting the country.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glbt-...raveler-4.html
Old Nov 23, 2016, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
IKA is usually my final destination. I always use my GPUs from the US to FRA on UA and then on LH to IKA.
You would be surprised how friendly people are over there. The lounge is pretty nice too with many hot items.
If you ever ended up going there you would be crazy not to get the best caviar in the world from the duty free for a fraction of the price that is not sold even in Iran itself.
Everybody I know buys a couple of beluga's on the way out because they always import the best stuff which they also sell in the airport as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.