Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2016, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
*A forum thread LAX - TBIT star alliance lounge access

Copy from wiki of this thread for the airside directions between T7/8 and TBIT: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1612275-psa-upcoming-lax-facility-changes-26.html

T7/T8 to TBIT via tunnel, about 40 min walk with average speed (copied mostly from a blog; http://upgrd.com/blogs/doublewidesfl...-security.html ):

If you are flying through Los Angeles and are connecting airlines, just follow the signs that are located near the far southern end of each terminal to connect via underground tunnel to the other terminals.

When in TBIT, walk past the KE/one world lounge to the end of concourse - take a right handed u turn, up the escalator and the *A lounge is there.

In terminal 4, access the tunnel via the escalator that reads gate 44A-L
Continue to follow the signs to baggage claim, walk past the waiting room is for the bus to Terminal 6 or the American Eagle remote terminal.

to access the tunnels from Delta terminal in T5, the escalator leading to the tunnels is near the entrance to the Sky club near.

The access point from Terminal 6 is near Alaska Airlines' gates, across from the Alaska Airline Board Room and near the Ruby's diner. The tunnel ends at terminal 6, so you must exit the tunnel and access terminal 7 & 8 by above ground walkways which are near the terminal exit and security screening center.

Operation hours from *A site as of August 28, 2021:
Opening hours and facility information may not be accurate due to the Covid-19 pandemic. We are doing our best to keep it up to date.”

Opening hours

MON 09:00-01:00
TUE 09:00-01:00
WED 07:00-01:00
THU 07:00-01:00
FRI 09:00-01:00
SAT 07:00-01:00
SUN 07:00-01:00

For comments on the T7 UC, see New LAX T7 UC preview 28 Nov / opened 06 Dec 2016
Flying UA from LAX Terminal 7, lounge options if not eligible for UC?

Print Wikipost

Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I don’t mind a long walk if I have enough time. I consider it my exercise for the day. But the best lounge at the other end of the terminal is Alaska in my opinion.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by SFOdelayed

Thanks, was just curious because I didn’t see it on the star alliance page and thought I might have missed a paragraph somewhere
i have never had a problem accessing the lounge on my LAX-IAD flights
Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fumje
I wouldn't consider loungebuddy any form of authority on this subject.
No it's certainly not.

That may be an artifact from the days before LAX clarified that TBIT could be accessed with a BP for flight departing from any terminal.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by fumje
I wouldn't consider loungebuddy any form of authority on this subject. Generally true, but not exactly correct.

In years of using the TBIT lounge with domestic UA flights, I have never had resistance. The only particular thing is needing to acknowledge with the agent that they won't call boarding for the UA flight, and that I should mind the time myself.
Exactly, I've never had any pushback at all, just a warning that they will not announce the flight time.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by haddon90
i have never had a problem accessing the lounge on my LAX-IAD flights
Me neither which is why I was curious about the origin of the quote. Was not sure if it was a new policy.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: United, Delta, AA, southwest
I am in the lounge right now, flying on a UA domestic ticket, no questions asked when I scanned my boarding pass, got right in.

Food much better than the UA lounge. Just remember it's about a 20min walk to UA terminal 7.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by tapeguy
Food much better than the UA lounge. Just remember it's about a 20min walk to UA terminal 7.
It would take a lot for a *A lounge to provide a worse food spread than a UC. So far in my travels, I've only encountered two such lounges, the MS lounge in domestic concourse of CAI, which had some muffins and coffee and the MLL at EWR which had a smaller spread (albeit was somewhat made up by the soup!). Everywhere else I've had a large enough food spread to pre-eat before boarding!

I'd argue that the UCs have the best spreads in the morning, for breakfast and the quality seems to diminish throughout the day. Every time I go into a UC in the morning I know I can get some granola, yogurt, fruit, bagel, hard-boiled eggs and some pastries to give me a filling breakfast.

On a more serious note, can someone comment on the showers at the *A lounge? Is there much of a wait for them? What sort of amenities are included in the shower (i.e. shampoo, conditioner, etc.)? Are there other *A lounges at TBIT that offer a better shower experience?

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by j2simpso
... Are there other *A lounges at TBIT that offer a better shower experience? ....
There is only one *A lounge in TBIT, it is not considered a specific airline lounge but rather as a Star Alliance Lounge.

The only other non-UA operated *A lounge at LAX is the AC MLL in T6, a weak offering.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K

On a more serious note, can someone comment on the showers at the *A lounge? Is there much of a wait for them? What sort of amenities are included in the shower (i.e. shampoo, conditioner, etc.)? Are there other *A lounges at TBIT that offer a better shower experience?

Safe Travels,

James
I had a shower there a few weeks ago. There was maybe a 10 min wait, but I got in just before prime time. There seemed to be maybe 10 showers so the line probably moves relatively quick.

Nice experience, all the standard body wash / shampoo provided.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA
Wait time depends on what time you are there. Open til about 3PM you can pretty much walk in without waiting, in the evening it has been as long as 2 hours.

Amenities include shampoo, conditioner, soap gel all in dispensers in the shower. There are shaving kits and dental kits in the rooms, towels as well. No ear swabs or cotton balls. As a reminder, put used towels into the bin under the sink when you're done.

There is lotion as well but my last 3 trips it has been a mess, super greasy and it seems that the lotion has separated from the other ingredients. They started to glue the bottles to the counters so maybe the stagnation has cause the separation.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:50 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
UA's best concourse food options are now in the terminal they abandoned - luckily, T6 is still a (relatively) short airside stroll away.
Does the UC mind if folks bring in outside food? e.g. Would I be prohibited (or even just given evil eye) for entering with a bag of Carls Jr carryout?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 1984SW
Does the UC mind if folks bring in outside food? e.g. Would I be prohibited (or even just given evil eye) for entering with a bag of Carls Jr carryout?
Outside food and drink are expressly prohibited.

I used to bring DnD coffee into the IAH club . . . don't know what folks' experience are trying to bring in something more substantial.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
While expressly disallowed, some still do it. Hiding the bag on entrance and of course, those are the same folks that just abandon the remains when they leave the lounge.

BTW, the same rule for the *A lounge, this thread's topic.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:18 pm

While it may be expressly forbidden, I regularly bring in Starbucks iced coffee into the lounge. Food might be okay if it's dietary related and/or not smelly. I doubt a Dragon will get upset with you for bringing in gluten free food if you have celiac disease! Also given the limited food options at the UC these days it seems appropriate to bring in your own food since I doubt a handful of cookies and soup will leave much of a dent on your hunger!

That being said, if you've got smelly food, please order and consume on the flight as that's where it belongs (beside all the other kettles eating their bring on board food )

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jun 29, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
It is prohibited, and if someone notices and objects, you will be asked to leave and discard your food. Fast food is generally smelly, and you will be quickly discovered and sent packing, so you probably want to avoid being embarrassed and just eat your Carl's Jr outside before entering the club.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.