Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer

Old Nov 22, 2016, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
*A forum thread LAX - TBIT star alliance lounge access

Copy from wiki of this thread for the airside directions between T7/8 and TBIT: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1612275-psa-upcoming-lax-facility-changes-26.html

T7/T8 to TBIT via tunnel, about 40 min walk with average speed (copied mostly from a blog; http://upgrd.com/blogs/doublewidesfl...-security.html ):

If you are flying through Los Angeles and are connecting airlines, just follow the signs that are located near the far southern end of each terminal to connect via underground tunnel to the other terminals.

When in TBIT, walk past the KE/one world lounge to the end of concourse - take a right handed u turn, up the escalator and the *A lounge is there.

In terminal 4, access the tunnel via the escalator that reads gate 44A-L
Continue to follow the signs to baggage claim, walk past the waiting room is for the bus to Terminal 6 or the American Eagle remote terminal.

to access the tunnels from Delta terminal in T5, the escalator leading to the tunnels is near the entrance to the Sky club near.

The access point from Terminal 6 is near Alaska Airlines' gates, across from the Alaska Airline Board Room and near the Ruby's diner. The tunnel ends at terminal 6, so you must exit the tunnel and access terminal 7 & 8 by above ground walkways which are near the terminal exit and security screening center.



Operation hours from *A site as of August 28, 2021:
Opening hours and facility information may not be accurate due to the Covid-19 pandemic. We are doing our best to keep it up to date.

Opening hours

MON 09:00-01:00
TUE 09:00-01:00
WED 07:00-01:00
THU 07:00-01:00
FRI 09:00-01:00
SAT 07:00-01:00
SUN 07:00-01:00

For comments on the T7 UC, see New LAX T7 UC preview 28 Nov / opened 06 Dec 2016
Flying UA from LAX Terminal 7, lounge options if not eligible for UC?



Print Wikipost

Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer

Old Sep 24, 2016, 9:37 pm
  #46  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 11,055
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Let's just say I would not have turned him down...
I didn't know there was a separate F lounge (the first time I was there, they had a F section) so I was caught by surprise. Taking pictures is more important for me than experiencing the finer things in life so I am OK with it.
username is online now  
Old Sep 24, 2016, 11:20 pm
  #47  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Japan
Posts: 5,578
Originally Posted by dordal
I was give access to this very lounge on Thursday of this week with the exact same situation.

UA Club Card; domestic UA flight outbound. I had to show my boarding pass and my UA Club membership card.
A bit of topic, but can you explain to me how to access the LAX *A lounge when on a domestic UA flight? Are there UA domestic flights operating out of TBIT? How to get through security when the flight operates out of T7? Or can you now walk airside from T7 to TBIT? That would be great especially with the horrible Club situation due to the construction. Looks like I am missing something here.
Exleftseat is offline  
Old Sep 24, 2016, 11:57 pm
  #48  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Programs: UA/CO, SPG, Hyatt
Posts: 162
Yes, TBIT is connected airside to T4. Clear at T4.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...ge-access.html
kyte is offline  
Old Sep 25, 2016, 9:27 am
  #49  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX
Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 56,878
Originally Posted by username
Would I have really been able to go into the F lounge or he was mistaken?
He was mistaken. F lounge is only for international F pax.

It's nothing special at LAX in any event, so you didn't miss much.
Kacee is offline  
Old Sep 25, 2016, 9:35 am
  #50  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: PHL, EWR
Programs: UA Gold; DL Silver; Amtrak Select Plus;Hilton Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Posts: 2,408
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
A bit of topic, but can you explain to me how to access the LAX *A lounge when on a domestic UA flight? Are there UA domestic flights operating out of TBIT? How to get through security when the flight operates out of T7? Or can you now walk airside from T7 to TBIT? That would be great especially with the horrible Club situation due to the construction. Looks like I am missing something here.
This has been discussed quite a bit in a separate thread, but thanks to a new tunnel, you can now walk from terminal 7 to the TBIT. I just did it last week, but keep in mind that is a very LONG walk!! If you walk really fast you can do it in 20 minutes, but walking at a slower pace I'd allow 25 minutes.
rittenhousesq is offline  
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:41 am
  #51  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Posts: 3,971
The two tunnels can also be uncomfortably hot. IMO it's better to leave some time cushion to wait for the golf cart to show up. It makes the trek more bearable, and if timed right, faster than walking the whole way. But whichever way, unless you have 2+ hours before your UA flight, the distance from TBIT is a huge deterrent and can make your travel experience more stressful than it needs to be.
sinoflyer is offline  
Old Sep 25, 2016, 1:40 pm
  #52  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: MCO
Programs: Hertz PC, National ES, Air Kettle
Posts: 48
Originally Posted by username
I once walked over (domestic ticket, upgraded to F, 1K) and the guy at the door initially wanted to send me to the F lounge. I wanted the regular lounge as I wanted to check out the daytime view. So, I ended up going to the regular lounge.

Would I have really been able to go into the F lounge or he was mistaken?
Assuming it's not correct policy wise, but I've been let in to the First lounge twice on domestic CPU upgraded flights
OSLexpat is offline  
Old Sep 25, 2016, 2:16 pm
  #53  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles / Basel
Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 26,982
Originally Posted by Kacee
He was mistaken. F lounge is only for international F pax.

It's nothing special at LAX in any event, so you didn't miss much.
At least there is an a la carte menu with some better options than the business lounge.

Love the business lounge but find the food to be disappointing.
MatthewLAX is offline  
Old Sep 25, 2016, 3:21 pm
  #54  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX
Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 56,878
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
At least there is an a la carte menu with some better options than the business lounge.
I think the liquor is better in F, too. But I'd rather spend my time in the J lounge, either on the terrace or balcony.
Kacee is offline  
Old Sep 25, 2016, 6:48 pm
  #55  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Japan
Posts: 5,578
Originally Posted by kyte
Yes, TBIT is connected airside to T4. Clear at T4.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...ge-access.html
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
This has been discussed quite a bit in a separate thread, but thanks to a new tunnel, you can now walk from terminal 7 to the TBIT. I just did it last week, but keep in mind that is a very LONG walk!! If you walk really fast you can do it in 20 minutes, but walking at a slower pace I'd allow 25 minutes.
Thanks all. I did definitely miss that. Glad i asked.
Exleftseat is offline  
Old Sep 25, 2016, 9:08 pm
  #56  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: LAX
Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Posts: 1,324
Originally Posted by username
I didn't know there was a separate F lounge (the first time I was there, they had a F section) so I was caught by surprise. Taking pictures is more important for me than experiencing the finer things in life so I am OK with it.
If you ever get a chance again - no need to turn it down. The F lounge (while nothing amazing) is connected to the J lounge so you could grab some food/drinks on the F side and go over to the J for a better view.
jmanirish is offline  
Old Sep 25, 2016, 9:28 pm
  #57  
DCF
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Programs: Etihad Guest
Posts: 1,550
To throw another spanner in the works......

United Clubs refuse access to Air New Zealand's paid Koru Club members.

So why would an Air New Zealand-operated lounge accept a United Club member?
DCF is offline  
Old Sep 25, 2016, 9:32 pm
  #58  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles / Basel
Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 26,982
Originally Posted by DCF
To throw another spanner in the works......

United Clubs refuse access to Air New Zealand's paid Koru Club members.

So why would an Air New Zealand-operated lounge accept a United Club member?
Because UA (theoretically) pays NZ for access to this lounge.
MatthewLAX is offline  
Old Sep 25, 2016, 9:47 pm
  #59  
DCF
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Programs: Etihad Guest
Posts: 1,550
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Because UA (theoretically) pays NZ for access to this lounge.
And I suspect that "theoretically" might be the word, if the NZ lounge dragons in TBIT are denying access to UA club members, just as the UA ones deny access to NZ club members.

I think we need to resolve whether UA has actually entered a deal with NZ for reciprocal access (the answer is clearly no) or is paying NZ for access.

I use the TBIT lounge every couple of months and it's magnificent. I must eat and drink around $50 worth of cooked food and liquor each time I go.

I suspect that if another airline wants non-Star Gold passengers to have access, they would have to pay for the privilege.
DCF is offline  
Old Sep 25, 2016, 9:57 pm
  #60  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX
Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 56,878
Originally Posted by DCF
So why would an Air New Zealand-operated lounge accept a United Club member?
Because those are *A rules.

Originally Posted by DCF
And I suspect that "theoretically" might be the word, if the NZ lounge dragons in TBIT are denying access to UA club members, just as the UA ones deny access to NZ club members.
They're not. This was a one off.

Suggest you read the *A lounge access rules. Lounge Access. Your issue is a non-issue.
Kacee is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.