Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2016, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
*A forum thread LAX - TBIT star alliance lounge access

Copy from wiki of this thread for the airside directions between T7/8 and TBIT: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1612275-psa-upcoming-lax-facility-changes-26.html

T7/T8 to TBIT via tunnel, about 40 min walk with average speed (copied mostly from a blog; http://upgrd.com/blogs/doublewidesfl...-security.html ):

If you are flying through Los Angeles and are connecting airlines, just follow the signs that are located near the far southern end of each terminal to connect via underground tunnel to the other terminals.

When in TBIT, walk past the KE/one world lounge to the end of concourse - take a right handed u turn, up the escalator and the *A lounge is there.

In terminal 4, access the tunnel via the escalator that reads gate 44A-L
Continue to follow the signs to baggage claim, walk past the waiting room is for the bus to Terminal 6 or the American Eagle remote terminal.

to access the tunnels from Delta terminal in T5, the escalator leading to the tunnels is near the entrance to the Sky club near.

The access point from Terminal 6 is near Alaska Airlines' gates, across from the Alaska Airline Board Room and near the Ruby's diner. The tunnel ends at terminal 6, so you must exit the tunnel and access terminal 7 & 8 by above ground walkways which are near the terminal exit and security screening center.

Operation hours from *A site as of August 28, 2021:
Opening hours and facility information may not be accurate due to the Covid-19 pandemic. We are doing our best to keep it up to date.”

Opening hours

MON 09:00-01:00
TUE 09:00-01:00
WED 07:00-01:00
THU 07:00-01:00
FRI 09:00-01:00
SAT 07:00-01:00
SUN 07:00-01:00

For comments on the T7 UC, see New LAX T7 UC preview 28 Nov / opened 06 Dec 2016
Flying UA from LAX Terminal 7, lounge options if not eligible for UC?

Print Wikipost

Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2016, 1:31 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The TBIT lounge is run by Star Alliance itself, not a Star Alliance member airline. If it was a Lufthansa Lounge, for example, he'd get entrance.
Understood, the regulation I mentioned was here from the star alliance site

http://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-access-policy
Old Sep 23, 2016, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by svirfnebli
Understood, the regulation I mentioned was here from the star alliance site

http://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-access-policy
Again: The TBIT lounge is run by Star Alliance itself, not a Star Alliance member airline. If it was a Lufthansa Lounge, for example, he'd get entrance. Read the policy you are quoting:

"As an eligible holder of Paid Lounge Membership, you have access to any Star Alliance member airline Business Class Lounge"

Bolding mine. A Star Alliance operated lounge IS NOT a Star Alliance member airline-operated Business Class Lounge. One is run by Star Alliance, the other is run by a member airline. No member airline operates the TBIT club - Star Alliance does. He'd get entrance at lounges operated by Lufthansa or Turkish Air or Austrian or ANA, etc.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 23, 2016 at 1:45 pm
Old Sep 23, 2016, 1:42 pm

Ok thank you for the clarification - Very helpful.

How do find the regulations for the star specific lounges?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Again: The TBIT lounge is run by Star Alliance itself, not a Star Alliance member airline. If it was a Lufthansa Lounge, for example, he'd get entrance. Read the policy you are quoting:

"As an eligible holder of Paid Lounge Membership, you have access to any Star Alliance member airline Business Class Lounge"

Bolding mine. A Star Alliance operated lounge IS NOT a Star Alliance member airline-operated Business Class Lounge. One is run by Star Alliance, the other is run by the member airline. No member airline operates the TBIT club - Star Alliance does.
Is there a separate policy document for lounges run by Star Alliance itself and not a member airline? Because at the top of the OP's link, it seems to imply the policy is applicable to any and all *A lounges (bolding mine)

We are delighted to welcome customers to our own Star Alliance branded lounges and the lounges owned by or contracted by our member airlines, according to the following access policies
Also, according to the lounge finder, it seems OP's boss should have had access. I entered international departure from LAX, UC membership, UA Silver, flying in coach. Options given are *A lounge in the TBIT, MLL in T2, and UC in T7.
http://www.staralliance.com/en/web/s.../lounge-finder
Old Sep 23, 2016, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I guess the regulation could be read both ways. I perceive the Star Alliance lounges not to be member airline lounges. The lounge finder (which looks newer then the previously flaky one) indicates access, but verbatim interpretation of the language "member airline lounge" would exclude a *A-operated lounge. I could be wrong.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 23, 2016 at 1:55 pm
Old Sep 23, 2016, 1:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I guess the regulation could be read both ways. I perceive the Star Alliance lounges not to be member airline lounges. The lounge finder (which looks newer then the previously flaky one) indicates access, but verbatim interpretation of the language "member airline lounge" would exclude a *A-operated lounge. I could be wrong.
No such distinction exists. The access rules are the same.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Your boss should have had access. United is a member of the Star Alliance, and the star alliance lounges are included in the list of lounges that provide access on the United web site.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Im trying to help my boss out with an issue.

He uses the Chase Mileageplus Club Card and has the Club Membership card with the Star alliance logo on it as a result which means he has a paid lounge membership. He is currently Silver on United.
He recently tried to access the Star Alliance Business lounge at LAX at Tom Bradley INTL. He was at the business lounge, not the first class lounge. They told him that he needed to be Star Alliance Gold to enter.
One thing that is missing, which airline boarding pass your boss were holding ? As in order to access a *A lounge, UA club card alone is not enough.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 4:47 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Technically speaking, the TBIT lounge is operated by a Star Alliance member -- Air New Zealand.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Perhaps the issue is not who runs the STAR lounge but the nature of the UC membership. Is a credit card issued UC membership considered the same as purchased UC membership?

I agree, other than a contract airport lounge, there should be (and is) no difference in access eligibility between a STAR lounge operated by a member airline and the couple that are ostensibly operated by the alliance itself.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
It would be best if OP can supplement the missing information.

There are 2 potential issues, IIRC:

1. Access Policy for Star Alliance branded lounges

*A says:

Access policy for Star Alliance branded lounges is the same as for the member carriers’ owned lounges. Prerequisite for access is that the individual member carrier has signed an agreement with the assigned operator.
So my question is given UA has no departure flight from TBIT, does UA have such agreement with NZ, the lounge operator?

2. The flight

*A says:

Customer must also present a boarding pass for travel on a Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport;
Did OP's boss travel with a *A partner?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
Did OP's boss travel with a *A partner?
IIRC the flight was Lufthansa. LAX-Frankfurt. He always fly Lufthansa or united
Old Sep 23, 2016, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Is a credit card issued UC membership considered the same as purchased UC membership?
This was my question too, but everything I've seen so far indicates that it is the same. The united login shows an active club membership
Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
IIRC the flight was Lufthansa. LAX-Frankfurt. He always fly Lufthansa or united
Then denial of access was incorrect.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA/CO, SPG, Hyatt
Wow, a surprisingly lot of misinformation on this thread.

Any UC membership including obtained via Chase co-branded CCs is able to access any Star Alliance Business Class lounge - this includes the LAX TBIT Star Alliance Business Lounge. You do not need any *A status.

Of course, you must have a departing BP from the same day.

Source? I've confirmed this several times at LAX personally. And OP's original link: http://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-access-policy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.