Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Access to LH int'l lounge as UA Gold? (and tidbit for Club members)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2016, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Hello,

Earlier this year I was worried about making Silver. But, as it turns out, I will end up making Gold for the first time. Right after making Gold, I'm flying to HAM, where I would like to use the Senator lounge on my way back to the US. Does anyone know whether I need some sort of physical Gold card to get in? Or do they take the virtual card from the UA app/see your A* status when they scan your boarding pass?

I'm wondering because I usually go into the Business Lounge with my physical Club Card, which the agents have an unrelenting need to swipe multiple times (after giving it and me a confused look).

P.S. - For those using Club Cards to get into Lufthansa lounges, if swiping the card doesn't work, ask them to manually scroll down the drop down menu on their screen and select "United Club" from the programs list. I learned this after essentially climbing half way over the counter once and helping a confused agent along (I need my free snacks, don't judge).
Old Nov 21, 2016, 10:47 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Usually the lounge admission desk has been ok with using the app-based electronic card. But sometimes I keep the physical card in the unlikely event one of them is uncooperative, and if I have thought ahead to do that. The presence of UA*G on the boarding pass has been hit or miss, depending on whether UA or LH ticket stock.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 10:47 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
There's been a lot of discussion here about this, but in general if you have *G on your BP and the gold card on the app, it sounds like you should be fine. My own personal experience with LH has been that *G on BP is enough.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Originally Posted by TA
Usually the lounge admission desk has been ok with using the app-based electronic card. But sometimes I keep the physical card in the unlikely event one of them is uncooperative, and if I have thought ahead to do that. The presence of UA*G on the boarding pass has been hit or miss, depending on whether UA or LH ticket stock.
UA ticket stock would get the status on the BP reliably, right?
Old Nov 21, 2016, 11:18 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Never had an issue using either BP or BP+virtual UA card in UA app for lounge access with LH. LX is the stickler who refused me entry until I was able to find my physical card stashed away (luckily).

Now I keep my physical cards in my passport case so I always have for international travel.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 11:53 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by Taoyuan
UA ticket stock would get the status on the BP reliably, right?
Oh, what I mean is that despite the UA*G appearing on the BP, it doesn't always correlate whether they want the physical/virtual card or are willing to just wave you through after the scanner beeps.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. I'll have the BP and app handy (and the Club Card too, just in case I can't get into the Senator lounge).
Old Nov 21, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I was recently asked to present my *G gold card at FRA (AC MLL and LH SEN Lounges) while flying J and at ZRH (LX SEN Lounge) in Y. I recall I was not asked for my card at *A lounges while transiting through LAX, LHR and MUC on separate trips earlier this year. Luckily I always carry my card while traveling internationally. Maybe it's a YMMV thing.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 10:56 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
In recent weeks, there have been many reports of LX and LH lounges no longer caring about the card. Same for me: my BP with status showing was enough, in one case even a BP without status showing (but containing my *G number) was sufficient.

Better to carry one of course, but it seems the tides have turned.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 12:57 am

You should be just fine without your *G UA MP card. I travel in and out of HAM frequently and in the recent 6 months the agent can verify my status from my boarding pass issued by either UA or LH.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 1:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by 764toHI
I was recently asked to present my *G gold card at FRA (AC MLL and LH SEN Lounges) while flying J and at ZRH (LX SEN Lounge) in Y. I recall I was not asked for my card at *A lounges while transiting through LAX, LHR and MUC on separate trips earlier this year. Luckily I always carry my card while traveling internationally. Maybe it's a YMMV thing.
Why in the world did they ask to see it in the MLL when you're flying J? I'd have pushed back on that. No status is required in that case as you're on a *A flight in J. The LH SEN lounge is different as, oddly it's the *G lounge and the lounge for J is the Business Lounge.

I always carry my card as well, though when I'm alone I'm rarely asked for it. With a guest I'd say it's asked for about half of the time, the other half they just take my info from my boarding pass.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 4:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 764toHI
Traveling through MUC last month I was once asked for my *A card and once the boarding pass was good enough. sounds like it is a YMMV thing.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 8:33 am

I've made multiple visits to the Senator lounges at FRA and MUC during the last couple of weeks of business travel and I was never once asked for the physical *G card. My BP's always showed UA*G on them.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by televisor
Better to carry one of course, but it seems the tides have turned.
Live dangerously! Transit ZRH and try to access the SEN lounge without a card. (Then report back and let us know how you liked the BUS lounge.)
Old Nov 22, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
I was inbound to FRA and when I went to the club on Z the lady at the counter was turning people away that had arrived on the flight, saying something about how we should go to a club nearer our outbound gate. Kind of weird. She wasn't friendly about it. I just looked at her and asked if she was saying that I shouldn't or that I couldn't and if I could at least take a leak?

Worst service I'd seen in a LH club.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.