1Ks and GPU/RPUs

Old Nov 15, 2016, 4:16 pm
PPM
Original Poster

1Ks and GPU/RPUs

I am finally getting around to inquiring whether others are experiencing the even more marked fall in GPU/RPUs clearing in the last several months for 1Ks. I have not had a single RPU clear this year when in the past there was almost always 1-2 flights each day for which I could confirm the upgrade when I purchased the ticket. When I purchased my current ticket for ORD-LAX this Friday, there were 18 available seats in first class, but no RPU availability. Today, just 3 days before departure, there are still 4, but no confirmation. This has been the pattern--it always comes down to a waitlist at the gate and I have no idea how the RPU is figured into others on the list. I just know I'm always 3-7 or so on the waitlist and not a single one has cleared. I know these seats are not being sold for the full first class fare, so obviously they are heavily discounted for non-elites. But, this is the worst in all of my United years and I'm a 2MM flyer. Has anyone had RPUs clear or is it all a waitlist at the gate scenario now? I've already stopped flying anything over 100,000 miles each year on United and spending my money on paid business class seats on LOT, Etihad, Qatar, etc. If I can't use the upgrade instruments, I'm not going to put up with United's international premium cabins. Is this what others are experiencing?
Old Nov 15, 2016, 4:29 pm

As a 1K, I haven't been able to clear ORD-LAX with RPU or CPU in at least 2 years. On my latest LAX-ORD on a Monday 4pm, I was #13 on the list with only 4 pax scoring upgrades out of 16 seats. About 5 months ago, I was able to change 4 seats from K fare to P fare for a mere $34 a piece for ORD-LAX. This was about 4 months prior to departure. I'm under the impression these P fares (and TODs) are a major driver of non-elites claiming seats in first class. E+ would run ~$90 so it's a no brainer for a non-elite. I find the ability to CPU or RPU to be nonexistent on hub-hub and ORD-LGA.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
RPUs are the new CPU. CPUs are dead. If there isn't R available at booking, I don't count on it. I actually will just call back and fare difference to F if I really want it or I have a horrible seat in Y. Heck, on TATL and TPACs with GPUs I rarely clear to SFO/EWR domestic portion.

Until the next recession and load factors go down, this is the way it is going to be.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Yep, first class monetization is in full swing, both in advance and at checkin, so there's very little going to upgrades. As an elite you're probably flying popular routes at popular times, so they're the most likely to be sold one way or the other.

My account history looks like this since they just don't clear:

Code:
10/3/2016	Regional Premier Upgrade Redemption 		
9/29/2016	Regional Premier Upgrade Redemption 		
9/27/2016	Regional Premier Upgrade Deposit 	
9/2/2016	Regional Premier Upgrade Redemption 		
8/16/2016	Regional Premier Upgrade Deposit 		
8/14/2016	Regional Premier Upgrade Redemption 		
8/10/2016	Regional Premier Upgrade Deposit 		
7/1/2016	Regional Premier Upgrade Deposit 		
7/1/2016	Regional Premier Upgrade Redemption 				
6/20/2016	Regional Premier Upgrade Deposit 		
6/20/2016	Regional Premier Upgrade Redemption 		
6/4/2016	Regional Premier Upgrade Redemption 		
6/4/2016	Regional Premier Upgrade Deposit
That's a lot of trying to clear 2 RPUs.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 5:35 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
CPUs are readily available as a Gold on Saturday
Old Nov 15, 2016, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Taoyuan
CPUs are readily available as a Gold on Saturday
Lol...what routes...I fly out of WAS and rarely get upgraded as a 1k.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
The flights where I most want to use my RPUs - 4+ hours rarely clear - however I have had excellent luck clearing GPUs on International routes this year and have my highest CPU rate in 3 years.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 9:31 pm

Yes this is a major issue. I actually posted on here about a week ago that my RPUs have been redeposited too many times that they couldn't redeposit (think it's a system tech issue). In the end they had to create a new RPU to add to my account after fighting them for some time. I tried applying RPU ORD - ATL last week and failed miserably with being 8th on the list. Not even worth trying anymore - still have 8 GPUs and 7 RPUs remaining that expire end of January.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 6:51 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
I actually had an RPU that a lost last year because it kept on getting redeposited and I actually forgot about it. It was easier to pay the $99 for an upgrade. That to me is the value of an RPU, less than $99. I feel as though if and RPU cleared, there is a high chance a CPU would have anyways- especially since both clear so infrequently.

Plus add in double for A and triple for F PQMs, and on some of those routes that are long and cheap, it is easier to have the company by a Y fare and me up them.

Where I rocked RPUs this year was taking the family to Hawaii. Burned down all mine for the year and flew F. That is where an RPU plays like a GPU, there is a fair amount of R inventory to get them at booking.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 7:12 am

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
I have cleared 4 RPUs, on PS flights between EWR and SFO the past month,
Old Nov 16, 2016, 7:29 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
Can't comment on RPU's as I typically only travel Int'l. What I have been noticing out of of EWR on my common Int'l routes is the following. A BF RT fair EWR-TLV will cost anywhere from $2,700 to $7,000. However I bought 2 RT tickets BOS-TLV in BF that connect back in EWR for the TATL portion for $2,089 RT. Yesterday I was looking to buy EWR-HKG in January. Ticket was $7,700 RT. If I added in CAN as a final destination instead of HKG on the outbound and upgraded the return using the 1 R seat available on the HKG-EWR portion the RT fare priced out $2,600 in BF. How does this work? Why does BOS as a starting point reduce a TATL fare by more than half? Adding CAN in China reduced the HK BF fare from $4,000 one way to $1,600 even though I'm flying on the HK nonstop flight from EWR. Where does that leave the people who are trying to upgrade?
Old Nov 16, 2016, 7:41 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
I agree this is a big issue today. I've had only one RPU clear upon booking within the past 6+ months, and that was Chicago to Moline. Yeah, that's right - I was reduced to using an RPU for that short hop because I have many that will expire in January.

In two weeks I will be flying Chicago to Frankfurt on a nearly $5,000 B fare (refundable economy). I applied two GPU at booking 2 months ago and neither has cleared yet. The business cabins still have plenty of seats so I'm hopeful I will get upgraded at the last minute, but it's sort of ridiculous that a GPU in that fare class doesn't clear immediately.

My other efforts to use GPU this year have failed, even when fares have been GPU eligible. Most often, they are Z fares and are not even eligible.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 7:59 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Actually had one clear ORD-LAX a couple weeks back. And it was a Friday! Didn't clear until ~ t-30 hours. It was definitely helped by the fact that a group of 6 F pax moved off the flight at about t-48 so the flight went from F2 to F8 and UA wasn't able to sell enough. Was prepared to buy up but was pleasantly surprised.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by eyuro
Can't comment on RPU's as I typically only travel Int'l. What I have been noticing out of of EWR on my common Int'l routes is the following. A BF RT fair EWR-TLV will cost anywhere from $2,700 to $7,000. However I bought 2 RT tickets BOS-TLV in BF that connect back in EWR for the TATL portion for $2,089 RT. Yesterday I was looking to buy EWR-HKG in January. Ticket was $7,700 RT. If I added in CAN as a final destination instead of HKG on the outbound and upgraded the return using the 1 R seat available on the HKG-EWR portion the RT fare priced out $2,600 in BF. How does this work? Why does BOS as a starting point reduce a TATL fare by more than half? Adding CAN in China reduced the HK BF fare from $4,000 one way to $1,600 even though I'm flying on the HK nonstop flight from EWR. Where does that leave the people who are trying to upgrade?
EWR-TLV: only 1-2 nonstop options, limited competition
BOS-TLV: no nonstops, many one-stop connection options

Same for EWR-HKG vs EWR-CAN.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, WN A+
I applied five RPUs on a flight for my family a few weeks ago. MCI-DEN-PVR next week. This year as 1K I have received CPUs on most of my eligible flights, so the RPUs were available. I have also used a few on other family members with good success this year. When I search, I do look for opportunities to apply, and see them occasionally, but have been rolling the dice on the CPU the majority of the time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.