FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1802527-uniteds-basic-economy-discussion-q.html)

UA Insider Nov 15, 16 5:34 am

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Hi everyone,

Today we announced our newest offering, Basic Economy, which will give customers more options when it comes to their travel needs. Basic Economy will also help to speed up the boarding process so our customers can get to where they need to be on time.

While there are some differences to the Basic Economy fare, customers will enjoy the same United Economy cabin experience and services, dining options, Wi-Fi and inflight entertainment options. Available for sale this January, customers will be able to book Basic Economy fares for spring travel.

We will continue to offer a spectrum of products, from Basic Economy to standard economy to Economy Plus, as well as premium cabin experiences in United First and United Polaris.

Watch the video at United Hub to hear more about Basic Economy from our CEO, Oscar Munoz.

Thank you,

-UA Insider

flybie Jan 2, 18 10:16 am

United credit card question

United I have a question. I have mileage plus credit card and I want to buy basic economy ticket. Itís my understanding that because Iím card holder I can still bring full size carry on with me. I also have United gift registry or balance I want to pay for that ticket without using my credit card. With that being said, how united know that Iím mileage plus credit card holder? Or I must use mileage plus credit card to buy that ticket instead? But then I canít use my gift card.

if I must use cc, can I use most of my gc to pay then use cc to pay remaining balance?

threeoh Jan 2, 18 10:29 am

Originally Posted by flybie (Post 29240194)
United I have a question. I have mileage plus credit card and I want to buy basic economy ticket. Itís my understanding that because Iím card holder I can still bring full size carry on with me. I also have United gift registry or balance I want to pay for that ticket without using my credit card. With that being said, how united know that Iím mileage plus credit card holder? Or I must use mileage plus credit card to buy that ticket instead? But then I canít use my gift card.

if I must use cc, can I use most of my gc to pay then use cc to pay remaining balance?

Make sure that your MileagePlus number is on the reservation -- that's how they're linked. That will get you all the privs that come with the credit card (incudling BG2, full sized carry-on on BE), EXCEPT a free checked bag. For the free checked bag you have to use the credit card to buy the ticket.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Jan 2, 18 10:39 am

Originally Posted by threeoh (Post 29240265)
...For the free checked bag you have to use the credit card to buy the ticket.

If any part of the ticket is paid for with Chase CC, the first bag fee waiver is provided.

flybie Jan 2, 18 10:48 am

Originally Posted by threeoh (Post 29240265)
Make sure that your MileagePlus number is on the reservation -- that's how they're linked. That will get you all the privs that come with the credit card (incudling BG2, full sized carry-on on BE), EXCEPT a free checked bag. For the free checked bag you have to use the credit card to buy the ticket.

me and my travel companion won’t check bags. So we are good then if we use gift card to buy BE ticket without using my United cc at all and just make sure my Mileage # on reservation?

raehl311 Jan 2, 18 10:51 am

Originally Posted by flybie (Post 29240350)
me and my travel companion wonít check bags. So we are good then if we use gift card to buy BE ticket without using my United cc at all and just make sure my Mileage # on reservation?

The specific language for Basic Economy says the cardholder gets a carry-on bag, but the companion does not.

The grammar is a little sketch though, so YMMV.

emcampbe Jan 2, 18 10:56 am

Important to note: what kind of card do you have?

while most of the current UA cards allow premier access (and thus BG2 and full size carry on in BE), not all do. Specifically, thinking of the TravelBank card currently out there, as well as legacy cards which donít offer it (for example, I have the Select, which isnít available anymore, but doesnít include priority boarding). If itís the Explorer, it works. So just make sure your card is eligible.

flybie Jan 2, 18 10:58 am

Yeah I have explore card.

threeoh Jan 2, 18 11:37 am

Originally Posted by flybie (Post 29240350)
So we are good then if we use gift card to buy BE ticket without using my United cc at all and just make sure my Mileage # on reservation?

This worked for me, I hold an Explorer card and bought a BE ticket with my CSR (didn't use my Explorer card at all) and had my MileagePlus number on my reservation and I was in BG2 and brought a full-size carryon, as did my companion on the same PNR.

spin88 Jan 2, 18 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by Aliquot (Post 29216270)
You have other choices if AS, HA (both legacies), B6 or WN fly between the cities you want. The big three have often been price matching these carriers lowest fares, with BE fares. Why would anyone choose a UA BE fare for the same price as a normal economy ticket on any if these carriers?

In the "sticking with my principles department" I just booked SFO-SEA-SFO on UA/AS vs the usual DL since DL wanted another $10 to avoid a BE vs. UA/AS which were both $179 each way (vs $189 on DL). I really don't know why Delta is suddently doing BE on this type of competative routing in higher fare catigories, but it certainly has impacted my buying decission. That said, I'm somewhat unusual in that I'm gold on AS/VX, PLT on DL, and Gold on UA (a few miles from 2MM) so there is no appreciable loyality bump from flying any carrier (other than that upgrades do occur on AS and DL but not UA, but its a short flight). About the only down side in not flying DL is that I can't use the shower at SEA (SkyClub has them, the Centurion does not) but for the principle of the matter (and that AS's flight time is better) I am down on DL.... :)

764toHI Jan 4, 18 2:58 pm

Odd pricing strategy:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y21...pskvubhf3e.png

zeer0 Jan 4, 18 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by 764toHI (Post 29250810)

Happens more often than it doesn't @:-)

mduell Jan 4, 18 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by 764toHI (Post 29250810)
Odd pricing strategy:

If this a one way or RT/multi-city? Buying BE on that leg preserves the ability to buy it on others where it may be cheaper.

764toHI Jan 4, 18 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by mduell (Post 29251264)
If this a one way or RT/multi-city? Buying BE on that leg preserves the ability to buy it on others where it may be cheaper.

This is a one way ticket. I tried to book this as a round trip yesterday and the BE fare for the LGA-IAH segment was the same price, regular economy was $308.

AdmiralAdama Jan 11, 18 8:14 pm

What just happened?

so i need a last minute flight from CHI - DC. United offers 300 dollar flights to DCA and 100 $ flights to BWI. Which is an hour away. I get pissed off. The flights to DCA are all pretty empty, and i begin to rail at United for being evil/greedy -- especially because the 100 dollar flight is basic economy, and my platinum status wont give me an upgrade to Economy Plus seating, which is all i care about. Anyway, i do the 100 buck basic economy seat because i dont like paying an extra 200 bucks for an economy plus seat which is what i thought i was guaranteeing with all my mileage runs last year

i walk to the back of the plane depressed -- and then discover that my seat is 8A a nice economy plus seat, especially after they throw out the women in the row next to me for trying to sit there with a different seat assignment.

So...why did they give me this economy plus upgrade, i didnt even ask for it!