Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JohnneeO
Also, regarding the idea that BE fares are always cheaper, back in May I booked a regular economy ticket for a flight in August. I looked today at prices on the same flight, and I found that a BE Ticket now costs more than my regular economy ticket. So it it possible that there will be someone on that flight with a BE fare that paid more than I did for a regular economy ticket.
The way fares (and revenue management) works, I'd argue that comparing a "today" fare (e.g. the BE fare you saw) versus a "yesterday" fare i(e.g. what you booked) s not a valid comparison -- the valid comparison is "today" economy to "today" BE or "yesterday" economy to "yesterday" BE...eg. the fares available to someone making a purchase decision in that instant.

Searching lowest available fare, I would expect virtually all fares (J, Y, and BE) to be more expensive the closer in you get so someone who bought as "last minute" BE fare (still somewhat surprised that RM is allowing cannibalization like that) is paying more than an advance purchase Economy ticket, but less than someone buying a regular economy ticket on the same day.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
For a 1K, the only disadvantages of Light fares are that they can't be upgraded and that you can't change them at all -- they're "use it or lose it." Non-status, non-credit-cardmembers get a first bag charge, but that wouldn't apply to you.
A warning: the disclaimer states the first bag charge is waived based on premier status or card when checking in on UA/UAX metal only. So if first flight of any direction is on a partner, be wary about when checking in with them. i just did a dummy booking to FRA with the outbound starting on UA and the return starting with an AC flight. The checked bag tool, even when I changed it to note the price for a 1K, indicates no fee for checked bags on the outbound, and $60 for the first bag on the return. I didn’t actually finish the booking, of course, but I would fully expect to be charged on check in for the return.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
A warning: the disclaimer states the first bag charge is waived based on premier status or card when checking in on UA/UAX metal only. So if first flight of any direction is on a partner, be wary about when checking in with them.
Good point. Cardmembers will pay the bag fee if checking in with a partner airline. 1K should get one free bag (for *G status), but would have to pay for the second bag.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Good point. Cardmembers will pay the bag fee if checking in with a partner airline. 1K should get one free bag (for *G status), but would have to pay for the second bag.
maybe, but I’d wait for real-life evidence first.

LH has light fares currently, where *G don’t even get a free bag. Id be conservative and guess this is the case for an international light fare too, absent of real evidence. Again, the checked bag tool showed a checked bag fee for a first flight with AC, so it’s very possible they’d charge it. Wording do the disclaimer appeared to me to be referring to both Premier status and cardholders where the waivers was for UA only. So I’d say YMMV, for now.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by emcampbe
LH has light fares currently, where *G don’t even get a free bag. Id be conservative and guess this is the case for an international light fare too, absent of real evidence.
LH currently sells its own Economy Light fares on TATL sectors, with a baggage allowance of 0 for the ticket, but allows +1 piece for *G. This is likely to be degraded in the future, but for now the policy is pretty clear.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 1:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
So DL management asserted in yesterday's Q2 earnins call that UA (and AA's) punitive BE fares are a "contributing factor" to DL's better revenue performance.

Delta President: United and American are Losing Business Because of Harsh Basic Economy
Old Jul 26, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
So DL management asserted in yesterday's Q2 earnins call that UA (and AA's) punitive BE fares are a "contributing factor" to DL's better revenue performance.

Delta President: United and American are Losing Business Because of Harsh Basic Economy
https://t.co/QYGqsTw7w0

AA is pulling back from the carry-on restriction, validating DL's impression
Old Jul 26, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by smxflyer
https://t.co/QYGqsTw7w0

AA is pulling back from the carry-on restriction, validating DL's impression
Interesting. Unusually candid admission by Parker that these fares are costing them market share:

Speaking during American’s second quarter earnings call Thursday, Parker said the airline’s Basic Economy fare had become uncompetitive, and implied that American has been losing market share to Southwest, which allows two free checked bags. Parker said “there’s a big airline” that doesn’t charge for carry-on bags — actually Southwest doesn’t charge for carry-ons or two checked bags —and that made American’s Basic Economy fare became uncompetitive. He likewise mentioned that when travelers search Google for flights, and use a filter to indicate they intend to bring a carry-on bag, then American does not appear in search results because the fare increases by a $20 bag fee.
I would imagine UA can't hold out long as the only carrier not allowing a carry-on.

And ya gotta love how the market is working - googleflights now provides accurate information about the real "price" of these fares, and consumers choose to buy elsewhere. (If you select, "Overhead bin access included," UA and AA will drop below DL, AS, and B6 in the search results, because their BE fares will be excluded.)
Old Jul 26, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: united
Interesting. Unusually candid admission by Parker that these fares are costing them market share:

I would imagine UA can't hold out long as the only carrier not allowing a carry-on.

And ya gotta love how the market is working - googleflights now provides accurate information about the real "price" of these fares, and consumers choose to buy elsewhere. (If you select, "Overhead bin access included," UA and AA will drop below DL, AS, and B6 in the search results, because their BE fares will be excluded.)
A heck of a lot of chicanery would disappear if fare comparison tools would do that more often.

I recently searched LAX-Edingurgh and WOW was priced at $420 r/t, with DL at $780. But if you factor in WOW's fees, the DL fare may actually be cheaper.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by dilanesp
A heck of a lot of chicanery would disappear if fare comparison tools would do that more often.

I recently searched LAX-Edingurgh and WOW was priced at $420 r/t, with DL at $780. But if you factor in WOW's fees, the DL fare may actually be cheaper.
Yes. The airlines pitch unbundling of services as providing "consumer choice" but it's really about deceptive sales practices. Just like hotel resort fees.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:07 am

Yes. The airlines pitch unbundling of services as providing "consumer choice" but it's really about deceptive sales practices. Just like hotel resort fees.
There's a critical difference in that hotel resort fees aren't optional.

There exist people who would rather pay $20 less and not bring a carry-on, just like there are people who'd rather pay $25 less and not check a bag, even if those people aren't you. That's not true of resort fees. Even if, initially, the "without bag" price matches the legacy price, eventually the market will bring it down again.

In my mind there are three problems:

(1) Different airlines including/excluding various services in their sticker price is a search engine problem, one that Google is going to fix shortly. "I'm bringing one checked bag and one carry-on, I'm United Silver and have the AAdvantage credit card, I'm purchasing from a Canadian POS, I'd pay $50 extra to fly out of IAD instead of DCA and I'd pay a $100 premium for a non-stop. If F is less than $150 more than Y and not more than $450 total, I'd prefer that, otherwise Y. Please show me the best flights and the prices I'll pay."

(2) Reduced competition through mergers slows down the "eventually the market will bring it down again" process. And yet,

(3) The market is fractured enough the average non-savvy consumer can't keep track and makes a non-optimal decision (buying up to regular Y on Delta because they want a carry-on, not realizing it's included because they flew United BE recently) or they get screwed (bringing a carry-on to a Spirit flight and paying $100 at the gate).
Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by threeoh
There's a critical difference in that hotel resort fees aren't optional.
At the most basic level, it is exactly the same practice: using a deceptive "teaser" price that advantages your product vis-a-vis the competition in online search results.

And in fact, UA and AA have both reiterated they don't want consumers to buy BE fares - they want to upsell them to the higher fare, which was not disclosed initially. So in this sense the BE penalty is exactly like a resort fee.

Finally, the resort fee is in fact "optional" in the sense the consumer can choose not to book the hotel room once the "all in" price has been disclosed. The problem is that the deception has already occurred, and the industry knows that a certain percentage of consumers will not pay attention to the details once they've decided a certain product is cheaper than the alternatives.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 6:31 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT

I posted part of this in the 3Q thread, but nearly 10 times Delta used the phrase " industry-leading product" singling out the extra width in the seats in specific on the call. Clearly they intend to - and have started to advertise - how their product is better.

To give some color, here was the entire exchange (thanks to Seeking Alpha which posts the transcripts"

Duane Pfennigwerth Hi. Thanks. As you watch how the rest of the industry has implemented basic economy so far, have you detected any positive share gain versus some of the more punitive implementations of it, no carry-on, et cetera? Any sense the customers really don't like it?
Glen Hauenstein Those are not a very, very difficult things to isolate and I think you know what we look at is our relative revenue performance in aggregate and are we supplying the right products and services that people want to buy from us and I think as the quarter unfolds over the next couple weeks here, as everybody announces the details of their earnings, you will see that we, I think, took another step function improvement in aggregate and produced the highest level of revenue premiums we have in our history. So it's very hard to isolate which individual piece contributed to the whole brand impact, but I think that's certainly a contributing factor.
Ed Bastian Part of that, Duane, also is the net promoter scores that we see and mentioned our domestic net promoter scores were up three points year-over-year, which is huge when you measure net promoter scores to drive an improvement at an already good base of further improvement. So clearly, customers of all classes are preferring Delta in increasing numbers.

Delta said over and over again that relatively higher quality products was helping both their NPS and profitability. I doubt Kirby (aka Smisik II) gets the message, but Parker seems to have picked up part of the thread....

p.s. and funny to be posting this, having just flown AS vs DL yesterday because DL wanted $15 for BE on SFO-SEA on a last minute relatively high value ticket. I was annoyed enough not to play the game.... That said, BE is not as bad on DL as you get status credit and a bad. What you really loose is an upgrade (to C+/F).
Old Jul 26, 2018, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by spin88
That said, BE is not as bad on DL as you get status credit and a bad. What you really loose is an upgrade (to C+/F).
What's a "bad"? Unsure/unclear what word was meant here...

David
Old Jul 26, 2018, 9:00 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by DELee
What's a "bad"? Unsure/unclear what word was meant here...

David
Probably a typo. Should have been "bag".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.