Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2018, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by findark
No status accrual and absolutely no guarantee that you will have that kind of an experience.
Most don't care about status accrual given their flight patterns and they already are guaranteed a crappy experience - UA's version of NK or F9 - so E+ is a step up - especially if they flight t.p.s.

David
Old Jul 4, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by B747forever
Thanks for the replies. The itinerary I am looking at is ARN-EWR-LAX. So it is not a true BE then, even on the domestic leg.
Correct. True BE only books into "N" class [aside from the combinability restrictions mentioned up-thread], anything TATL at this point would be a :light" fare which can be sold in virtually any economy fare bucket and identified by the LGT suffix on the end of the fare basis.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
perhaps it’s time to re-evaluate E+ policy in general - maybe give them free to silver at booking or X days prior to departure vs. at check in, or at 50% discount in advance, or give them to *G in advance, or to non-elites booking Y/B/M fares, etc.
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
I would echo your suggestion about *G, and perhaps even systematically offering *G's free E+ at T-12 to further avail E- would do the trick of putting the right people in the right seats.
Giving E+ to silver at T-48 would make them more competitive with AS, who start giving out premium class for free to MVP at T-48.

It probably would make sense to give any upgrades for *G at T-24 or before, so it's before any BE could possibly check in. It could be done as early as T-48 with the silvers, or even T-36.

Doing either of the above might require some other juggling of windows, but as long as the current ordering is maintained it should have relatively minimal impact on existing benefits and keep BE from getting in inadvertent perk over non-BE.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: United 1K 2 Million Miles, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Looking at buying LHR - MCO return am being offered both BE Ł723 and economy Ł783, but both book intio W class it says, is this right? I thought BE booked into a lower class? If so how can they distinguish benefits
Old Jul 4, 2018, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Trappy
Looking at buying LHR - MCO return am being offered both BE Ł723 and economy Ł783, but both book intio W class it says, is this right? I thought BE booked into a lower class? If so how can they distinguish benefits
There is no Basic Economy in the LHR/MCO market. You are probably seeing Economy Light, which is different (and less restrictive).
Old Jul 4, 2018, 2:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Trappy
Basic Economy which uses N fare class is not yet available for TATL fares.

You may find https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...s-allowed.html which books into normal economy fare with a "-LGT" added to the fare basis. It has the non-cancellable, no ticket bag allowance of BE but it maintains elite mile earning, seat selection and E+ access. See the discussion in the referenced link.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Where else would you propose putting them if E- is full? UA seems to have an algorithm to assign elites E+ on BE tickets, so those folks would already have been taken care of leaving the remaining BE pax to get whatever is left...
How about giving remaining E+ seats to *G's on regular Y fares. I am enticed to purchase BE because I have a 75% success rate of getting E+ seating vs 0% when paying up to regular. Makes no sense.

Originally Posted by findark
Moreover, if you think that they are getting such good treatment, non-BE pax can enter the E+ lottery too - just don't select a seat.
This used to work, but not anymore for me at least. My last few United bookings in regular Y have automatically selected seats for me if I don't select them myself. This sucks because I know for sure I will not be getting E+, where as someone who books a BE fare will get them. In fact, when I see a BE fare available, I happily purchase it knowing I'll fly more comfortably. My ff program still credits miles properly for BE, so all I lose out on is free SDC.

Originally Posted by emcampbe
I’ve made suggestions several times upthread on how this could be accomplished...with technology these days - it could be done mostly without a lot of human work. Beyond that, there are other options - for example, I’d there are only E+ seats left, hold BE assignments until the gate, and offer those seats to more valuable passengers - those on higher fares, with *A status, etc., and then fill BE pax in those seats that go empty. If the problem is so common - perhaps it’s time to re-evaluate E+ policy in general - maybe give them free to silver at booking or X days prior to departure vs. at check in, or at 50% discount in advance, or give them to *G in advance, or to non-elites booking Y/B/M fares, etc.

I’ll admit to being no expert in revenue management, and I get just filling the empty E+ seats with BE is the easiest thing to do, but I can’t imagine why the company wouldn’t want to do more to solve this problem. If one buys BE and gets E+, especially relatively often, it seems like greater incentive for these folks to buy BE again (while ignoring the offer to pay for an assignment in advance), when they really presumably want to sell more higher fares instead. And I can’t think of a better reason for a non-elite, particularly those buying W, V, Q, E, etc, to think that maybe it’s actually better value to just buy BE next time, especially if they are going to be checking a bag anyway.

I would echo your suggestion about *G, and perhaps even systematically offering *G's free E+ at T-12 to further avail E- would do the trick of putting the right people in the right seats.
Originally Posted by chrisl137
It probably would make sense to give any upgrades for *G at T-24 or before, so it's before any BE could possibly check in. It could be done as early as T-48 with the silvers, or even T-36.

Doing either of the above might require some other juggling of windows, but as long as the current ordering is maintained it should have relatively minimal impact on existing benefits and keep BE from getting in inadvertent perk over non-BE.
United, if you're reading this thread, listen to us! You're losing revenue by enticing us non UA *G's to book BE and lose $20-50 per flight in revenue from each of us. Give us E+ 24/48 hours out on normal Y fares and everyone will benefit. Once a year BE customers don't care, we do.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 5, 2018 at 8:34 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zeer0

United, if you're reading this thread, listen to us! You're losing revenue by enticing us non UA *G's to book BE and lose $20-50 per flight in revenue from each of us. Give us E+ 24/48 hours out on normal Y fares and everyone will benefit. Once a year BE customers don't care, we do.
to be clear, I’m not booking BE (there might be an outlier itin where I’m traveling by myself on a pretty short haul where I’d probably consider it). But given I typically travel with wife/toddler, there are certain things I can’t give up. For example,needing 3 seats together, I’m not taking a chance on being spread around the aircraft. And even though we rarely make changes, the use it on the flight you are booked on orlose it is not something I’m willing to risk. That’s before we even get to the PQM issue.

That said, there is a HUGE disconnect, IMO, with publicizing a bottom barrel fare bucket that specifically excludes things like E+, then giving it away to them instead of lower level elites (potentially),as well as *G paying regular fares, and even non-elites paying high fares in Y, B, etc. why UA hadn’t figured out a plan for this prior to launch, not to mention by now, is a huge fail. Let’s not forget this is also a bigger problem on UA then DL/AA since their C+/MCE cabins are much smaller. It’s incentivizing the wrong group to be repeat purchasers, and disappointing the wrong group for their purchase.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 12:37 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Does check in time matter for basic economy?

First BE experience so wondering if it is better to check in earlier or is seat assignment just random? For example if non middle seats are available am I more likely to get them if I check in at earliest time?
Since apparently I can't change seat after assignment just wondering what I should know to maximize chance of getting a decent seat.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:11 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by estnet
First BE experience so wondering if it is better to check in earlier or is seat assignment just random? For example if non middle seats are available am I more likely to get them if I check in at earliest time?
Since apparently I can't change seat after assignment just wondering what I should know to maximize chance of getting a decent seat.
The one time that I flew on a BE fare and did not select my seat at the time that I purchased the ticket, I checked in exactly 24 hours in advance. I was assigned a window seat a few rows behind the window exits - low 20's - on a B739. The guy in the middle seat bought his ticket the day before and paid a hefty premium for a last minute ticket.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
Just a quick note on the BE pricing differential with regular economy. The 2017 data points are on ORD-EWR flights on Monday 8/21, and the the 2018 are n ORD-EWR flights on Monday 8/20.

In 2017, I recorded BE differentials as high as $35, and then they settled in at $15 during the time I was tracking prices before I booked. In 2018, the differential has consistently been $25 when offered.

Also, regarding the idea that BE fares are always cheaper, back in May I booked a regular economy ticket for a flight in August. I looked today at prices on the same flight, and I found that a BE Ticket now costs more than my regular economy ticket. So it it possible that there will be someone on that flight with a BE fare that paid more than I did for a regular economy ticket.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: UA 1K3M, Marriott(SPG) Lifetime Plat
With all of these fare types I am getting very confused. In the past (if memory serves me correctly), selecting a Basic Economy fare as a 1K would still give me seat selection, free bags, etc. When I tried to book a fare the other day this is what I got - the fare was labeled "Economy (first bag charge/no changes allowed)". I was logged in to my account at the time.

Is this considered Basic Economy as well? It was booking me into L and T fares.

That said, baggage charges showed $0 and I was able to select seats. However, I was not able to upgrade myself (which was also stated as a restriction for this fare).

Thoughts?

Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfsouthbay
With all of these fare types I am getting very confused. In the past (if memory serves me correctly), selecting a Basic Economy fare as a 1K would still give me seat selection, free bags, etc. When I tried to book a fare the other day this is what I got - the fare was labeled "Economy (first bag charge/no changes allowed)". I was logged in to my account at the time.
A 1K on Basic Economy does not get seat selection.

This is not BE. This is Economy Light, a new product that's currently only available TATL.

However, I was not able to upgrade myself (which was also stated as a restriction for this fare).
For a 1K, the only disadvantages of Light fares are that they can't be upgraded and that you can't change them at all -- they're "use it or lose it." Non-status, non-credit-cardmembers get a first bag charge, but that wouldn't apply to you.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Basic Economy books into N. If you have an L or a T, you do not have a BE fare.

Agreed UA's descriptives are not very clear. And it doesn't matter whether you're logged in when you search - the descriptives are the same for everyone, so you may see verbiage which does not apply to you.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1K3M, Marriott(SPG) Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
Basic Economy books into N. If you have an L or a T, you do not have a BE fare.

Agreed UA's descriptives are not very clear. And it doesn't matter whether you're logged in when you search - the descriptives are the same for everyone, so you may see verbiage which does not apply to you.
Yeah... that's why it's so confusing. I did read the Wiki on BE and I realize it's the N fare, but still have to ask... Even the UA customer service rep agreed with me.

Originally Posted by jsloan
A 1K on Basic Economy does not get seat selection.

This is not BE. This is Economy Light, a new product that's currently only available TATL.

For a 1K, the only disadvantages of Light fares are that they can't be upgraded and that you can't change them at all -- they're "use it or lose it." Non-status, non-credit-cardmembers get a first bag charge, but that wouldn't apply to you.
Thank you. That definitely clears things up. I also did see that I would still get full PQMs/PQDs (and assuming lifetime miles).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.