Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2018, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mduell
Huh, that must be a change since the original launch.
it was definitely reported somewhere that this was in the works. Not sure if unthread here, or perhaps on one of the threads with quarterly investor updates.
Old May 30, 2018, 3:30 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Changed a while ago. BE seat selection purchases start at $5 and up. Only regular economy seats are available for purchase, E+ seats are greyed out until check in when you may be offered one anyways.
Old May 30, 2018, 4:49 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by zeer0
Changed a while ago. BE seat selection purchases start at $5 and up. Only regular economy seats are available for purchase, E+ seats are greyed out until check in when you may be offered one anyways.
I wonder how they decide on the pricing? Price for the RT ticket I handled was $9 on SNA-EWR and $12 on the EWR-SNA return.
Old May 30, 2018, 11:16 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by physioprof
I wonder how they decide on the pricing? Price for the RT ticket I handled was $9 on SNA-EWR and $12 on the EWR-SNA return.
The pricing is variable, just like for E+ purchases.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
1K flying in BE

Hello. Are 1K flyers traveling in BE offered the usual economy free snacks/drinks?
Thanks
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:03 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by cagcag
Hello. Are 1K flyers traveling in BE offered the usual economy free snacks/drinks?
Thanks
Pretty sure the answer is no. For all intents and purposes BE is a Kettle fare to compete with ULCCs who offer NOTHING for free other than personal item.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Pretty sure the answer is no. For all intents and purposes BE is a Kettle fare to compete with ULCCs who offer NOTHING for free other than personal item.
Hmmm.. 1K flyers in BE receive 1K luggage allowance. No E+ availabilty and no PQM or PQD, but DO accrue award miles based on dollar spend times premiere multiplier.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by cagcag
Hmmm.. 1K flyers in BE receive 1K luggage allowance. No E+ availabilty and no PQM or PQD, but DO accrue award miles based on dollar spend times premiere multiplier.
United's Basic Economy FAQ does not address this. Did not look at 1K page - maybe a question for UA's Twitter team. Do they still answer?

It's a mixed bag on what you do and don't get, but snack boxes cost UA real money and is meant to reward 1Ks. BE is to compete with ULCCs, so just don't see have one on us @:-) But of course I don't have a definitive answer as I've never flown BE.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:57 pm

BE customers have enjoyed the Advance Seat Assignment Offer for purchase since February 18, although it may not have been available in all markets initially.

This topic from March was somewhat related to that.

I wonder if the offer will expand with more options to further increase ancillary revenue. For example, offering BE customers a full-sized carry-on bag with or without Premier Access (including being promoted from BG 5 to BG 2) for purchase while still retaining the restricted nature of the BE ticket so the customer can save a dollar or two vs a regular branded Economy fare with Premier Access.

Last edited by mozilla; Jun 4, 2018 at 4:11 pm
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:12 pm

United's Basic Economy FAQ does not address this. Did not look at 1K page - maybe a question for UA's Twitter team. Do they still answer?

It's a mixed bag on what you do and don't get, but snack boxes cost UA real money and is meant to reward 1Ks. BE is to compete with ULCCs, so just don't see have one on us @:-) But of course I don't have a definitive answer as I've never flown BE.
Once you're on the plane, how would a flight attendant know you're on a BE fare?
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Once you're on the plane, how would a flight attendant know you're on a BE fare?
I suppose the phone they use to track GS/1K (among other things) might give you the scarlet letter in some fashion. But I would hope not.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 5:10 pm

Probably the same way they keep track of other BE pax to keep them from poaching better seats and/or overhead space @:-)

Here's what United has to say:

Originally Posted by UAL.com
MileagePlus members with Premier® 1K® status free alcoholic beverages and snacks in United Economy®.
Bolding mine. BE is not Economy, but again, we'll have to wait for first hand report, and we all know FA can bend the rules or make up their own ....

Link to above quote.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 5:13 pm

Probably the same way they keep track of other BE pax to keep them from poaching better seats and/or overhead space @:-)

Here's what United has to say:

Bolding mine. BE is not Economy, but again, we'll have to wait for first hand report, and we all know FA can bend the rules or make up their own ....

Link to above quote.
Do we know if the newish FA phone app indicates BE pax? My understanding was that it indicates MileagePlus status, but not fare or anything like that.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 5:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UAL.com
MileagePlus members with Premier® 1K® status free alcoholic beverages and snacks in
Bolding mine. BE is not Economy, but again, we'll have to wait for first hand report, and we all know FA can bend the rules or make up the United Economy®.ir own ....

Link to above quote.

BE is a fare class in United Economy®. United Economy® is the cabin, not the fare class. So yes BE is United Economy®.
How would you apply this line of reasoning to E+ or E-???

My guess and only a guess, is an 1K on any paid fare and award fare will receive the 1K food/drink benefit will sitting in United Economy®.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

BE is a fare class in United Economy®. United Economy® is the cabin, not the fare class. So yes BE is United Economy®.
How would you apply this line of reasoning to E+ or E-???

My guess and only a guess, is an 1K on any paid fare and award fare will receive the 1K food/drink benefit will sitting in United Economy®.
Sure, N is listed as United Economy, but it has a ton of restrictions.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on our guesses.

Hopefully an FA or a 1K with actual experience will chime it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.