FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...Now cancellable for a fee (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1802527-uniteds-basic-economy-discussion-q-now-cancellable-fee.html)

lsquare Aug 14, 2022 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 34509690)
The standard bag allowance for BE TATL is no free bags
non-UA *G is provided 1 additional bag allowance. So, each ticketed passenger on the PNR with you will receive the first bag free allowance (23kg)

But the bag calculator states 2 -- believe that is an error, as it also states 2 for "General and non-members in Basic Economy cabin" when *G is entered

What does you ticket receipt state? UA is bound by the receipt per DOT rules

For seat selection, do I have to pay a fee for each segment? Does that mean a multi-segment flight is more expensive than flying direct for seat selection? Is there a way to check what the seat selection fee is prior to purchase?

Having UA status such as 1K doesn't even get a free checked bag for tatl flights?

IAH-OIL-TRASH Aug 14, 2022 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 34514791)
...Having UA status such as 1K doesn't even get a free checked bag for tatl flights?

You get normal 1K status bag allowance and BG1 boarding, so you get the carry-on allowance also.

WineCountryUA Aug 14, 2022 6:34 pm

For seat selection, do I have to pay a fee for each segment? Does that mean a multi-segment flight is more expensive than flying direct for seat selection? Is there a way to check what the seat selection fee is prior to purchase? ...

Yes {depending on cabin and fare booked} and Yes -- go to LX's website or the appropriate partner.for their fees.

Having UA status such as 1K doesn't even get a free checked bag for tatl flights?

Individual asking was not an 1K or even an elite, hence no comments made about 1K benefits

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 34514832)
You get normal 1K status bag allowance and BG1 boarding, so you get the carry-on allowance also.

On a UA operated flights, on a partner you will get *G benefits (when offered)

lsquare Aug 14, 2022 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 34514832)

I'm trying to understand seat selection pricing. You got any idea?

firemandan9 Aug 15, 2022 8:39 am

Booked a basic economy fare with my Chase United Buisness card. For the first time I didn't get priority boarding benefit on my ticket and security monitor would not let me through to TSA at LAX.

Hustled over to a check in agent and they were completely clueless about the card benefit. Even though my ticket clearly said no fee for first bag I was then charged $35 to check in my carryon.

I've issued a straight forward refund request for the checked bag fee with my original ticket receipt which I would hope will go through without hassle.

After which I'll follow up about the stressful boarding zone snafu. Any idea what might have happened here?

WineCountryUA Aug 15, 2022 10:32 am

Sounds like your MP account number got dropped from the ticket. Why, no idea.

or

Where did you purchase the ticket? Was it not on united.com? Somethings the purchase information / credit type does not get transmitted to UA.

Antshill Aug 18, 2022 2:00 pm

I'm a bit confused by the BE to Regular Economy option.

So I'm thinking about cancelling a flight that currently costs me $140... if I cancel BE I will get $41 back.

But UA gives me an option to upgrade to Economy for $99.... if I pay the $99... then proceed to cancel do I get only the $140 in flight credit? Or will I get $239 in flight credit?

emcampbe Aug 18, 2022 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by firemandan9 (Post 34515993)
Booked a basic economy fare with my Chase United Buisness card. For the first time I didn't get priority boarding benefit on my ticket and security monitor would not let me through to TSA at LAX.

Hustled over to a check in agent and they were completely clueless about the card benefit. Even though my ticket clearly said no fee for first bag I was then charged $35 to check in my carryon.

I've issued a straight forward refund request for the checked bag fee with my original ticket receipt which I would hope will go through without hassle.

After which I'll follow up about the stressful boarding zone snafu. Any idea what might have happened here?

my questions would be:

- How long before the flight did you get the card?
- Where did you book the ticket (was it via a UA channel or somewhere else (ie, OTA, another carrier, etc.).

If you recently got the card and then immediately booked a ticket, it’s possible there was a lag in processing that you had the card, which could be an issue

if you booked elsewhere than UA, the payment info. Doesnt get transmitted, and therefore, you certainly wouldn’t get the bag benefit. The boarding benefit is typically based on MO#, and doesn’t require use of the card. So maybe your FF # wasn’t properly listed?

Originally Posted by Antshill (Post 34526282)
I'm a bit confused by the BE to Regular Economy option.

So I'm thinking about cancelling a flight that currently costs me $140... if I cancel BE I will get $41 back.

But UA gives me an option to upgrade to Economy for $99.... if I pay the $99... then proceed to cancel do I get only the $140 in flight credit? Or will I get $239 in flight credit?

BE is non-refundable/non-changeable (unless they put another waiver out, possible, but I hadn’t seen one). In that case, canceling your flights would leave you $0 value without the ‘upgrade’ option to regular economy benefits.

the $99 option would give you the option to cancel, and get a full credit without additional fees. So if you paid the $99, you’d get the full $140 value in credit. The fee you pay would not be part of your credit - that is a fee separate from airfare.

Antshill Aug 18, 2022 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 34526334)

BE is non-refundable/non-changeable (unless they put another waiver out, possible, but I hadn’t seen one). In that case, canceling your flights would leave you $0 value without the ‘upgrade’ option to regular economy benefits.

the $99 option would give you the option to cancel, and get a full credit without additional fees. So if you paid the $99, you’d get the full $140 value in credit. The fee you pay would not be part of your credit - that is a fee separate from airfare.

I think its changed since April? Its $49.50 one way to cancel a BE.. so RT is $99 fee for cancellation.

EZjace Sep 8, 2022 8:25 am

Hi, if you purchase a United basic economy ticket and use travel bank funds plus $5 (or some other amount) on my Chase United Business card, will I receive a free bag or do I have to put the entire fare on my United Business card to receive a free bag (& priority boarding)? From what I've gathered reading this and other posts it would appear so but wanted to confirm as I fly UA the least of any airline and am not 100% certain. BE works for me because its always non-stop to where I need to go and the only seats are either aisle or window. TIA

WineCountryUA Sep 8, 2022 10:41 am

Originally Posted by EZjace (Post 34583069)
Hi, if you purchase a United basic economy ticket and use travel bank funds plus $5 (or some other amount) on my Chase United Business card, will I receive a free bag or do I have to put the entire fare on my United Business card to receive a free bag (& priority boarding)? ...

Partial funding such as $5 should provide the bag waiver
Mileage Plus Branded Credit Card and Checked Baggage Fees

BG2 boarding is provided for cardholder independent of purchase method.

Kablob Sep 12, 2022 10:01 am

Question about United booking and Lufthansa Flights

I recently booked a round trip flight to Portugal through United. The flights are operated by Lufthansa.

I chose Standard Economy instead of Basic Economy because United's website said this would allow me to choose our seats. (I don't need any checked bags) However, after finishing booking, I was directed to Lufthansa's website, where I was told I had to pay an extra $35 for each seat chosen.

I then went back and forth with United's and Lufthansa's customer service about whether or not I actually had to pay that extra $35 for each seat. United told me I shouldn't pay it and Lufthansa should waive the fee, but Lufthansa was firm that it didn't matter what class of economy I booked through United, I would have to pay the $35 per seat.

So then I decided I should just downgrade to Basic Economy through United since I would be paying Lufthansa for seat reservations regardless. The United rep told me I could do this, but then I would only be allowed to bring personal items on board, no carry-on bags. I am skeptical of this, since Lufthansa's website says all levels of economy can bring a carry-on and a personal item and they are the ones actually operating the flight.

So, the TLDR versions is: If I downgrade from Standard Economy to Basic Economy on a Lufthansa operated flight that I booked through United, will I still be able to bring a carry-on and personal item?

Thank you for any help!! :D

Lux Flyer Sep 12, 2022 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Kablob (Post 34593167)
I recently booked a round trip flight to Portugal through United. The flights are operated by Lufthansa.

I chose Standard Economy instead of Basic Economy because United's website said this would allow me to choose our seats. (I don't need any checked bags) However, after finishing booking, I was directed to Lufthansa's website, where I was told I had to pay an extra $35 for each seat chosen.

I then went back and forth with United's and Lufthansa's customer service about whether or not I actually had to pay that extra $35 for each seat. United told me I shouldn't pay it and Lufthansa should waive the fee, but Lufthansa was firm that it didn't matter what class of economy I booked through United, I would have to pay the $35 per seat.

So then I decided I should just downgrade to Basic Economy through United since I would be paying Lufthansa for seat reservations regardless. The United rep told me I could do this, but then I would only be allowed to bring personal items on board, no carry-on bags. I am skeptical of this, since Lufthansa's website says all levels of economy can bring a carry-on and a personal item and they are the ones actually operating the flight.

So, the TLDR versions is: If I downgrade from Standard Economy to Basic Economy on a Lufthansa operated flight that I booked through United, will I still be able to bring a carry-on and personal item?

Thank you for any help!! :D

Agent is getting concufsed between domestic BE and international BE. International BE is harmonized among *A carriers and allows a personal item and carry on, but the first checked bag is NOT included (compared to domestic BE which is personal item only). Regarding seat selection, it's the operating carrier that determiens those requirements. In the US there are frequently a few advanced seat assignments available for no charge (on regular economy fare, however if all those are taken, your still expected to pay for a preferred zone seat if you want an advanced seat assignment) . In Europe I'm not aware of them making any seats available in advance without a fee to non-elites.

FOr yout TLDR: yes you will be able to have personal item and carry on, but if your checking a bag you will need to pay for the checked bag if you downgrade the fare

Kablob Sep 12, 2022 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer (Post 34593182)
Agent is getting concufsed between domestic BE and international BE. International BE is harmonized among *A carriers and allows a personal item and carry on, but the first checked bag is NOT included (compared to domestic BE which is personal item only). Regarding seat selection, it's the operating carrier that determiens those requirements. In the US there are frequently a few advanced seat assignments available for no charge (on regular economy fare, however if all those are taken, your still expected to pay for a preferred zone seat if you want an advanced seat assignment) . In Europe I'm not aware of them making any seats available in advance without a fee to non-elites.

FOr yout TLDR: yes you will be able to have personal item and carry on, but if your checking a bag you will need to pay for the checked bag if you downgrade the fare

Thank you! I suspected this, but wanted to make sure!

WineCountryUA Sep 12, 2022 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Kablob (Post 34593167)
I chose Standard Economy instead of Basic Economy because United's website said this would allow me to choose our seats....

Yes, on United operated flights. But when booking non-united operated flights, you need to check the flight operator, UA does not provide that information. And LH does not offer advance seat assignment for paid economy fares. LH Advance Seat selection fees for flights booked on UA tickets (including codeshares

And as mention, TATL BE is harmonized and different from domestic BE,
See UA's Basic Economy