Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by steaminer
So today I learned from an agent that I can't change from a non-basic economy ticket to a basic economy ticket.

For example, I have a fully changeable F ticket - I cannot later change that to a BE ticket with a different itinerary. Can only refund and then rebook a new itinerary in BE. Strange.
This doesn't surprise me at all since you can't upgrade from a BE either. BE is treated like its own product in this sense, so even when downgrading it's not possible on the same pnr.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by SamirD
This doesn't surprise me at all since you can't upgrade from a BE either. BE is treated like its own product in this sense, so even when downgrading it's not possible on the same pnr.
Upgrading from BE is not allowed as a function of BE being a non-changeable ticket, full stop.

However, to say you can't change your fully changeable ticket to BE feels very different to me.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

However, to say you can't change your fully changeable ticket to BE feels very different to me.
Yeah, I can't see any rationale for that. If you can refund and rebook, why not just allow someone to make the change directly? It's functionally the same thing.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
Yeah, I can't see any rationale for that. If you can refund and rebook, why not just allow someone to make the change directly? It's functionally the same thing.
It sounds like something on the back end where a BE is not even in the system that allows up/down grades at all to avoid any issues.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It sounds like something on the back end where a BE is not even in the system that allows up/down grades at all to avoid any issues.
Well, that's not really how airline ticketing works.

In order to execute a change of that magnitude, the previous ticket is exchanged and a new ticket is issued. One* of the fields on an airline ticket indicates the source of payment. In this case, the source of payment would be the previous ticket.

So, in order to prevent someone from using an exchanged ticket as payment for a BE fare, they'd have to write in a restriction on the form of payment used into the template they use for BE fares, and presumably they'd have to publish a rule about this so that travel agents would know not to do it either.

I suppose it's possible; I just can't figure out why they'd go to the trouble. I mean, yes, UA doesn't really want to sell BE fares, but why go to the trouble of initiating a refund and then running a new charge against the customer's credit card when you could just use the old ticket and refund / collect the difference?

* Tickets actually have two fields, allowing you to split payment between two different payment types.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 12:38 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
So today I learned from an agent that I can't change from a non-basic economy ticket to a basic economy ticket. ....
While this may be true, did you try a second or third phone agent? It is always surprizing the reports some hear from an agent than turn out to be a different issue or just flat out wrong.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 8:38 pm

Well, that's not really how airline ticketing works.

In order to execute a change of that magnitude, the previous ticket is exchanged and a new ticket is issued. One* of the fields on an airline ticket indicates the source of payment. In this case, the source of payment would be the previous ticket.

So, in order to prevent someone from using an exchanged ticket as payment for a BE fare, they'd have to write in a restriction on the form of payment used into the template they use for BE fares, and presumably they'd have to publish a rule about this so that travel agents would know not to do it either.

I suppose it's possible; I just can't figure out why they'd go to the trouble. I mean, yes, UA doesn't really want to sell BE fares, but why go to the trouble of initiating a refund and then running a new charge against the customer's credit card when you could just use the old ticket and refund / collect the difference?

* Tickets actually have two fields, allowing you to split payment between two different payment types.
Most systems have to have payment methods programmed in, so a BE ticket is simply not a valid payment method in the exchange of a ticket whereas all the others are. Very similar to what I was talking about imo.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most systems have to have payment methods programmed in, so a BE ticket is simply not a valid payment method in the exchange of a ticket whereas all the others are.
There is no such thing as a "BE system" that would need payment methods programmed in. Most BE tickets can be sold by any authorized United travel agent in the United States, and TATL BE fares are available from any travel agent worldwide.

Indeed, a quick search of the fare rules for a BE ticket (from the penalties section) shows the situation:

NO UNUSED TICKET MAY BE USED TOWARD THE PURCHASE
OF A BASIC ECONOMY TICKET.
-------
NO RESIDUAL VALUE MAY BE USED TOWARD THE PURCHASE
I don't know why it's there, and I don't remember seeing it before, but it's clear that it's not a matter of a missing pricing system: UA has clearly written this text to exclude doing a ticket exchange to a BE ticket.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 10:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Does
NO RESIDUAL VALUE MAY BE USED TOWARD THE PURCHASE
refer to partially used tickets or ETCs?
Old Jul 28, 2019, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Does

refer to partially used tickets or ETCs?
I would interpret the phrase "residual value" specifically to refer to partially used tickets. References to ETCs in fare rules are generally spelled out as such (e.g., "if the new fare is lower, an electronic travel certificate will be issued for the residual.")

I didn't see any restriction in the fare rules about using ETCs to purchase BE tickets, and I was able to apply one to a dummy booking just now. (Note that if you pay for a seat selection, the United Payment Types option becomes unavailable). Admittedly, this one was a bump voucher, not an ETC issued as the result of a flight change; I doubt that matters but I can't say that I know for sure.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 12:33 pm
mlm

How to Avoid booking Basic Economy?

What code(s) to insure that my family and I don't accidentally book "Basic Economy"? We'll each have a carry on bag and I want to select seats at time of booking (traveling with small children). I do have the Chase United Explorer card and will be using it to pay for all 6 tickets. Thank you.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Easy. You don't need to look at fare codes.

BE is its own column on the UA website, along with Economy, First, Polaris, and so on. If you do select BE, it will bring up a warning box showing the specific restrictions and requiring that you click a box acknowledging the restrictions.

Just take a look at the website and you will see how easy it is to not do.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mlm
What code(s) to insure that my family and I don't accidentally book "Basic Economy"? We'll each have a carry on bag and I want to select seats at time of booking (traveling with small children). I do have the Chase United Explorer card and will be using it to pay for all 6 tickets. Thank you.
If you book directly from United.com, it'll be obvious. Basic Economy is its own column in the search results and booking it requires accepting a pop-up disclaimer.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by mlm
I think the number one easiest way is to book directly with United. They make it really, really obvious what you are doing if you try to buy a Basic Economy ticket because they would much rather you didn't and bought normal Economy instead. If you don't get a pop-up window listing all of the drawbacks of Basic Economy during the purchase process, then you are good to do.

Also, you have 24 hours to cancel and refund your purchase, even in BE. If you find that you can't select a seat because you somehow got BE, just cancel and try again.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 1:16 pm

There is no such thing as a "BE system" that would need payment methods programmed in. Most BE tickets can be sold by any authorized United travel agent in the United States, and TATL BE fares are available from any travel agent worldwide.

Indeed, a quick search of the fare rules for a BE ticket (from the penalties section) shows the situation:

I don't know why it's there, and I don't remember seeing it before, but it's clear that it's not a matter of a missing pricing system: UA has clearly written this text to exclude doing a ticket exchange to a BE ticket.
Not a BE system, but the entire booking/reservation/sales system in general. It's a policy that's been coded into the system--exactly the way it should have been. There's nothing surprising about any of this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.